By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Google Chrome flopped pretty bad, didn't it?

Hey guys,

In September the beta for Google Chrome started, the official release was in December 2008. So I think, this might be the time to see where Google Chrome is right now. At first, everybody was excited, the powerful Google inc. released its first browser. Now, the hype calmed down.

I looked up the market share of Google Chrome and it is at 1,15%. That is not that much, isn't it? Google Chrome should be the first try to compete with MS on their territory. Looking at the market share, it did not succeed.

Here is the data:

Browser   Total Market Share 
  Microsoft Internet Explorer   67.44% 
  Firefox   21.77% 
  Safari   8.02% 
  Chrome   1.15% 
  Opera   0.71% 
  Netscape   0.66% 
  Mozilla   0.07% 
  Opera Mini   0.07% 
  Playstation   0.04% 
  ACCESS NetFront   0.02% 
  Blazer   0.02% 
  Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer   0.01% 
  ANT Galio   0.00% 
  WebTV   0.00% 
  iCab   0.00% 
  Konqueror   0.00% 
  Lotus Notes   0.00% 
  BlackBerry   0.00% 

The Intenet Explorer is still at 67.5% with Firefox being at almost 22% the main competitor for MS. Both Browser combined cover 89.2% of the market.

So is it safe to say that Google Chrome flopped or do you see the market share increase over the next months? Chrome is still in its early days, do browsers get bigger or smaller as times passes by? I really don't know. Would be cool if you could tell me.

I put this in the sales-forum, because I did not know where to put it. It is neither gaming nor sales and not that offtopic. Sorry for that.

source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0&qpmr=100&qpdt=1&qpct=0&qptimeframe=M

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

whats opera mini is that wii opera then? OT i think it didnt flop since it has better marketshare than netsacepe and apera which are both better than chrome

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Not as hard as the others, besides its a decent web browser

FF is too low :(

well ive been using chrome for 3 weeks now and i consider it better than explorer and firefox

Around the Network

I'd say it's quite a succes to become the 4th biggest browser out of nothing. Most people probably don't care what browser they're using, so Chrome may not really be competing with IE but more with FF as those people probably care. Together FF, Chrome and Safari may be getting some per cents of of IE though. I myself don't care. I'm using both IE and FF but mostly IE.

Why do people still using IE??
Firefox / Chrome are better

NeoGohan said:

It's not like the difference between the browsers is that big. It's like (dare I say this) the difference between ps3 and 360. And IE is preinstalled with Windows. Older people don't care or don't even know that they could chose for another browser.

non-gravity said:
NeoGohan said:

It's not like the difference between the browsers is that big. It's like (dare I say this) the difference between ps3 and 360. And IE is preinstalled with Windows. Older people don't care or don't even know that they could chose for another browser.

Thats the misconception by the majority of ppl. IE is god awful slow, I switched to Opera a few months back and its sooooooo much faster. The problem lies within getting the common person to even try a different browser to begin with, most dont even know thier other options. But i'm pretty damn sure those who do try firefox/opera/chrome switch from IE in a hearbeat.

I don't know if it can really be considered a flop - after all, it's ahead of Opera, one excellent browser, and just behind the biggest browsers (IE, bundled, FF, otherwise popular, Safari, bundled). It's the fourth popular browser. Sure, it's not a huge success and maybe even below Google's expectation but serioously, who expected this to do better than this so fast?

Anyway, I didn't like Chrome. It was too simplified and then there was the privacy case (which, apparently, got resolved pretty fast, but I still don't exactly trust Google).