By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What Can Sony Do To Turn The Tide Now?

Is it just the price cut that can spark sales to match that of 360 and Wii or is something else needed?

Personally i don't know what else Sony can do. They have had great games that have done ok but they don't seem to be having any boost effect to hardware. A little boost and then back to normal. The boost in Japan has been far greater then in europe and america but even that was only top of 40k. In comparison to say the 360 selling 100k + a week in US that is small fish.

So be interesting to hear what people think. Or is it just a case of cheapest wins and the PS3 won't ever be the cheapest so = lose?

Around the Network

Oh my god...

wholikeswood said:
Oh my god...

Care to expand on that or do you want me to explain what i mean?

Well i will explain anyhow :)

This has been a very important time for Sony. They have had a lot of high profile games hit all parts of the world. Japanese games in Yak3,RES5,Demons Soul,Street Fighter 4 and of course Musou Orochi z which did very well this week selling 100k!

A very good few weeks for games in the land of the rising sun

It is the same for europe and america but with the added western style game of Killzone 2 and Sony's MLB09 etc. Other games like HAWX has also been released. Another good period for games for the PS3!

So my point is this is/was a very important part of the year for Sony. They have put a lot of effort and money into building up the consoles games profiles in these past few weeks. I would say that these past few weeks probably have more high profile games for the PS3 coming in such a short period then there will be at any time of this year.

But with this period it doesn't really seem to have changed anything, sales remain as they were.

So what is next for Sony, what other cards can they play to keep things going for now?

With no price cut coming soon what else can they do o help spur the sales? And that was my question. A question which i think is quite fair.

Sony is probably going to finish third this generation with a possibility of finishing second (towards the end of the generation). Price cuts would have serious improvements in sales but they still have a lot of ground to cover. This isn't really a problem. They came out with a system well out of the price range of the average consumer.

All Sony needs to do is remain profitable, and keep software support up. If they do that, they can recover or re-claim what many feel they have lost in the next generation.

the same thing it should have done a year ago, look for a thread with the same title and a year old you will see the recipe there, "cut price, release x game, advertise , etc"

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

realistically, nothing.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

@ hyruken
i know its the bitter truth but all they can do is sit on their thumbs ! I mean a game like KZ2 that was four years in the making and hyped as much as it was didnt break a million in the 1st week ! That had to be a moral killer. Sony tried its best but any hope for this generation is lost , they hafe to bite the bullet and come out strong in the future years (which will be a long time ) and have a better plan for next gen or theyre generation 8 will be there last .

Not much they are in a pickle. They cut they price now they are just going to get outdone by MS which will drop the price right before the holidays and gain 4 straight years of holiday sales again. MS is smart in this regard. I guess they could try to do $50 now and $50 in the fall that might be there best bet, but then again if MS could do a $179 arcace in the fall and throw in a basic 20GB HDD then again it's going to sale like hot cakes just like in 08. Rumor has it the 20GB is coming of course we will have to see if MS does anything with the price. $250 premium is said to be coming as well. We shall see. MS will always have the upperhand this gen and I've said since day one. We will go into the 5th year of this gen and nothing will have changed in that regard.

Also this new bundle with first year gen games at the same price point will do notta. It's just the same old rehashed strategy.

It's easy to bring Sony back in the game:
PS3 cheapest model for 200 bucks + DukeNukemForever PS3 exclusiv and coming out this holiday.
But this never will happen-what will think the sharholder if Sony is loosing even more mony then now on each PS3?
Some years ago a few people thought the console will sell on its own, because a "Playstation" in the name.
Pride goes before a fall. Nothing more to say.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Cheapest builds you the momentum, once thats established its hard to stop. Wii won, despite it being a turnoff to many many last gen gamers.

Most expensive slows your momentum. X360 at certain points this gen has been most expensive based on value when compared to PS3, which shows in the give and take on who's on top in weekly sales. However, with the last price cut, the value of PS3 is not going to be enough to overcome the low price of X360.

This gen is almost certainly locked as 1. Wii 2. X360 3. PS3 and nothing is probably gonna change that except for possibly SONY deciding PS3 will compete with X720 and Wii 2 instead of coming out with PS4 for the next gen (the vaunted 10 year plan).

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.