By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What Can Sony Do To Turn The Tide Now?

nothing atm

Around the Network

who even knows if a price cut would work. a 50 dollar price cut will boost
sales for a while but that about it . a 100 dollar price drop will be good for
the gamers but bad for sony. and MS will allways counter with more price cuts

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

No matter what Sony does MS will have a counter. LBP, MGS4, and KZ2 have pretty much shown that exclusive games will have an impact in increasing sales, but it will not change the tide long term.

Last year when the PS3 was $400 and the 360 Pro was $350 sales were slightly in the PS3's favor. Lets not get carried away and say that they were blowing them away. Even then it would have taken years for the PS3 to catch up worldwide with the 360.

At this point they should just continue doing what they are doing and focus on profitability. Last place doesn't mean that they are a failure. They already have a big enough install base that all major 3rd party games will be released on the PS3 (minus exclusives). If they can afford a price drop then by all means do it but don't do it because they think they are going to catch up to the 360.

Doh! said:
they could update their 14 year old controller for one.

But Sony did update their controller, they took out a "last gen feature, Dualshock vibration", oh wait a minute...

@dharh: I've always hated the PS controllers and I've been using them since '97 when I got my PS1(and later PS2).

@op: There is most likely nothing Sony can do. They will be stuck in 3rd place for the rest of this gen. and they have to focus on trying to make a profit with the PS3, if they can.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
Doh! said:
they could update their 14 year old controller for one.

But Sony did update their controller, they took out a "last gen feature, Dualshock vibration", oh wait a minute...

@dharh: I've always hated the PS controllers and I've been using them since '97 when I got my PS1(and later PS2).

@op: There is most likely nothing Sony can do. They will be stuck in 3rd place for the rest of this gen. and they have to focus on trying to make a profit with the PS3, if they can.

Well to each their own.  I've tried every controller on every console and have yet to find one as comfortable as the PS controllers.  Not to mention the dual analog sticks were brilliant in my mind.  I could do without the motion junk that is the sixaxis though.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

The economy is their biggest enemy and that's beyond their control

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

100$ price cut WW and GT5 right b4 the 09 holidays period

Play Me

If by turning the tide you mean finishing 2nd in this generation, then nothing because it is impossible, especially when the system does so poorly in the States.

If you mean improving sales, then price-cut would be nice (but only if SOny can stay profitable, because it would be suicide if not), maybe a Slim model as well? Becuase in terms of System sellers there is not much that PS3 has up their sleeve.