By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Isnt Halo just way OverHyped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^ I´m happy we are not at Halo5 yet, quality games need time for developement and time for players to breath between games. SMG would not have half the anticipation it has if there where 3 GC marios. With Zelda they have been a little lazy, but the wait was always woth it :)

Around the Network

I agree with friedtofu its not what halo 3 is doing now its what the halo series has done. Halo 1 proved that a FPS on CONSOLE could not ONLY be fun to play a la Goldeneye but could be on par with PC FPS of the time in Graphics, story, and most importantly controles. The debate between controler vs mouse and keyboard has raged on since then but before there was no debate to be had. Im sure some/many PC gamers would say that there still isnt but im not going to get into that agruement with anyone so don't even try. The only point im making is that the xbox controler and the minds at bungie made a controle system for a FPS that fealt much more comferatable then anything before somthing that everyone whos made a FPS for console sence has used the same or at least simalar controls.
Halo2 took that same playablility and took it to the online space which yeah it had already been done for PC but it was a big deal for console gamers so if your not a fan of this paticular game or if your a PC gamer that has already experinced this before with other games I do understand the annoance of all this hype but it is earnd. Kay bye!!

"All three consoles have been out for some time now. So its time to stop using the term "next gen" this is current gen people."-me-

MCL

^^ Yeah right.... People at Bungie are saying:"Wow we just finished the most preordered game ever....whant to make another ???.....Naaaaa." The story might be over but they wil think of something new, for now they might do other stuff but in two years or so they will start a new one.

I agree.  Theres always a new threat 50 years later.  Reminds me of the Aliens movies

^^ Yeah, Halo vs. Aliens vs. Predators sounds fun to me :)

Around the Network

Of course any game that is going to sell between 2 and 3 million copies in a matter of hours is overhyped. No game, not even Halo deserves that.

However, there are far too many games out there that don't deserve their breakneck sales - Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Pokemon, Madden, Dragon Quest (atleast in Japan), Final Fantasy (the most recent ones), and so on.

However, why care? If you don't feel Halo3, or any game I mentioned isn't going to live upto the hype, then feel free to not buy it. If you think Halo3 isn't a system seller, then don't buy an Xbox 360 for Halo 3. It's that simple.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Some Hollywood movies have big advertising budgets so what's wrong with videogames having them?

El Duderino said:
^^ Yeah right.... People at Bungie are saying:"Wow we just finished the most preordered game ever....whant to make another ???.....Naaaaa." The story might be over but they wil think of something new, for now they might do other stuff but in two years or so they will start a new one.

I don't think that there will be Halo 4, they propably go the "Bioshock way". Everybody knows that it's a sequel, although a new franchise. Besides, the Halo series is a sequel anyway, it has changed it's name once already, so why wouldn't it make it again. There will propably be a couple of spinoffs, before a new game in the Halo universe, "Decathlon", will be released. About the overhype, i think it tells us a lot, that how it sells after the preorders are sold. @mrstickball: I think you are referring to preorders? Weren't the number as preorders, what retail has ordered from Micro$oft?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

^^^Possibly, butl games like System Shock or Deus Ex never had brand names like Halo has right now, still if bungie releases a different kind of shooter marked "by the makers of Halo" that game would get lots of hype too. I still think that we will see another Halo, maybe it will take till the Xbox720 but by then I´m sure there will be one, Master Chief is like Mario for the Xbox brand, I don´t think we´ve seen the last of him by far.

Legend11 said:
Some Hollywood movies have big advertising budgets so what's wrong with videogames having them?

Yeah and at least Halo is a very well made series. In Hollywood a mediocre series like Pirates of the Carribean can become some of the high grossing movies of all time. I'm not a fan of the Halo hype, but it's no worse than the immense hype something like Spider-Man or American Idol gets. Mainstreem stuff, good and bad, will always be overhyped. And of all hyped stuff out there Halo represents some of the better parts of it at least.