By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS3 price drop coming march 22

shinyuhadouken said:
I expect a $50 price drop sometime this spring and another $50 in the fall.

I agree that this will most likely happen, but I think that they should hold off and offer a $100 drop in September. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony dropped the price in Japan.  They don't have any currency issues, and they seem to be building some good momentum there.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

i dont know what the software attach rate is for sony, but isn't software where most console manufacturers make their money?

if they're able to sell a bunch of consoles from a price drop, doesn't that in turn sell a bunch of games... and even BD movies?

how many games would it take for sony to recover $50?

MagicalJoker said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
V-r0cK said:
Im not suprised if a PS3 price drop is coming soon. There's been alot of free stuff giving away with a purchase of a PS3 worth over hundreds of dollars, and usually thats to compensate that there'll be having a price drop eventually.

NOW i feel cheated !! not only am i NOT going to enjoy a price drop , but they are giving away FREE shii!!

tis true that true gamers suffer the most.

I believe Sony gave out free Sony Bravia HDTVs (I THINK they did, I read it back in 2007) with the purchase of a PS3 to spur sales in the UK.

This sounds nice... But it was the other way around... With a Bravia HDTV you got a free PS3 :) But i believe this was a deal in Australia and not the UK

Unless you mean a one time action. With the release of the PS3, the first ones to buy it at the Virgin megastore got a free Sony 46" HDTV with it. Also they got a free cab ride home. This was for around 100 people who were waiting for the PS3 console to release

The only time I've heard of the free TV is when the Ps3 launched in the UK, and Sony were thanking that first customers who were queueing for the midnight launch:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6482789.stm

Sony's financial losses for the FY ending this month are already forecasted to be massive by Sony.

Does Sony really want to make them even bigger by writing down the value of all the PS3s they have in inventory, right before the end of the fiscal year? I think not... but if it happens it will be very interesting to watch.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

This is like the 800th price cut rumour I've heard recently. Looks like it's happening, I wonder how Sony can afford it.

Around the Network
The_God_of_War said:
This is like the 800th price cut rumour I've heard recently. Looks like it's happening, I wonder how Sony can afford it.

Yeah but all the rumors claim different dates. This one looks especially suspicious, since the date is so near. In the weeks before actual price cuts, there have been tons of leaked retailer leaflets showing the new price, we're seeing nothing like that this time.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

From the article: The website 2old2play reports that a member was an employee of the large U.S. chain store EB heard talk about a price on Sunday, March 22 starts.

How many EBs are still left out there that have not been "retagged" as Gamestops? (And how many of those employees actually know what they are talking about?)

Also, unless this is a knee-jerk reaction on Sony's part, they would want to have some advertising on this. The Sunday sales circulars are printed up in advance -- and usually when there is something this big, the info gets leaked.

I doubt it will happen -- and if it does I doubt it will be more than $50.

Mike from Morgantown

If this happens, the recent recovery of Sony's stock price will be erased in two or fewer trading sessions.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mtofu said:
i dont know what the software attach rate is for sony, but isn't software where most console manufacturers make their money?

if they're able to sell a bunch of consoles from a price drop, doesn't that in turn sell a bunch of games... and even BD movies?

how many games would it take for sony to recover $50?

Between 4 and 5 games to recover 50$.

could be true.. hasn't sony done this before? i think last year or the year before that

hello how are you.

NJ5 said:
The_God_of_War said:

Yeah but all the rumors claim different dates. This one looks especially suspicious, since the date is so near. In the weeks before actual price cuts, there have been tons of leaked retailer leaflets showing the new price, we're seeing nothing like that this time.

Most of the ones I've heard have said March with a few saying April. You have a point though, with the date being so near. March 22nd is this Saturday, very short notice.