By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Faces Heat From Game Publishers

Smashchu2 said:
Xxain said:
^plz stop...I HATE when people say that, SONY's havin a rough time thats it

Stop what? Stating the obvious?

The truth is Sony is bleeding money, especially their game sector. If you didn't notice, the Playstation sector is being merged with two other sectors. If it were as strong as some people want it to be, it would have been it's own division.

I think this is a good sign of the Playstation brand going niche.

You didn't actually read Sony's financial report this last quarter, did you?

The merge was likely done to save the behind of the division it was merged with, not the other way around.  Sony didn't have much in the way of profitable divisions, but... one guess which division was in the black, while many of the others were red?  Or, you could not guess, and just read the report yourself.

Around the Network

How 'bout we cut the prices of video game software instead to encourage consumers to buy more? I'm sure the publishers will love that one. It's easy to ask a company to cut prices when it's not your money. If they wre making a profit on the console, I'd understand but they're already absorbing losses.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

shanbcn said:
With GTA IV sales 50/50 and RE5 sales 55/45 in favor of PS3. I don't think Publishers are in any position to put pressure on Sony.

Ummm, GTA 4 sales are not 50-50, the 360 version has sold close to 1.5 million more copies than the PS3 version

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

BLOOMBERG IS PAID OFF BY NINTENDO, THE ARTICLE IS A LIE

What's really great about this article is that it puts PS3 and Wii fans against each other.  The worse the PS3 does, the higher the production values for Wii games, and vice versa.

Come on Sony, don't drop that price!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

frybread said:

BLOOMBERG IS PAID OFF BY NINTENDO, THE ARTICLE IS A LIE

What's really great about this article is that it puts PS3 and Wii fans against each other.  The worse the PS3 does, the higher the production values for Wii games, and vice versa.

Come on Sony, don't drop that price!

I guess that means they are competing now?

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

^No Sony is still market leader... if you add PSX (20 year plan),Ps2 (15 year plan),Ps3(10 year plan), PSP (all of them 13 year plans) and Pocket Station (14 year plans) LTD sales versus Wii or Xbox360.

V_V I'm just confused why the article used gaming culture jargon as a co-subject for sustaining an arguement. This isn't the 7th gen.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I don't think Sony will drop the price anytime soon, especially now that they seem to have a stronger line-up this year than Microsoft.

Truth does not fear investigation

Darc Requiem said:
sinha said:

"PS3 sales in the next 12 months are likely to total 14 million, compared with 28 million Wiis and 9.7 million Xbox 360s, according to the Daiwa Institute of Research, a Tokyo-based researcher and consultant."

I'm confused... why would Sony need to drop the price when they're already going to outsell the 360 by 4.3 million over the next 12 months?

I'm curious as to why anyone would think the PS3 would outsell the 360 by any amount at this point. Since MS is based in the US, they are actually in the best position to institute a price cut. So even if Sony could find a way, MS would likely counter with a price cut of their own. This would nullify most of if not all of the potential sales gain the PS3 would see from a price cut. The PS3 couldn't outsell the 360 last year and honestly I think that was their best shot to gain any ground. If Sony could have cut the price, they would have last holiday season. There is no way they'd let MS pound them like that during the busiest part of the shopping year.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
Darc Requiem said:
sinha said:

"PS3 sales in the next 12 months are likely to total 14 million, compared with 28 million Wiis and 9.7 million Xbox 360s, according to the Daiwa Institute of Research, a Tokyo-based researcher and consultant."

I'm confused... why would Sony need to drop the price when they're already going to outsell the 360 by 4.3 million over the next 12 months?

I'm curious as to why anyone would think the PS3 would outsell the 360 by any amount at this point. Since MS is based in the US, they are actually in the best position to institute a price cut. So even if Sony could find a way, MS would likely counter with a price cut of their own. This would nullify most of if not all of the potential sales gain the PS3 would see from a price cut. The PS3 couldn't outsell the 360 last year and honestly I think that was their best shot to gain any ground. If Sony could have cut the price, they would have last holiday season. There is no way they'd let MS pound them like that during the busiest part of the shopping year.

If I'm reading it right, the PS3 should be at 40+ million right now, correct?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think price drop $50 in April.

Sony is a big company, they have no risk of going bankrupt despite what NJ5 says. Sony made profit for decades in a row. Investors know this, and they know that the current world economical crysis is an overgoing phenomenon. In one year from now world economy will have stabilized.

The Playstation brand and marketshare is important for Sony. They can afford a little loss on consoles sold, because in the long run they will make the money back from all the Playstation fans that will choose their future HD TVs, cameras and laptops from Sony instead of other electronic companies.