By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Faces Heat From Game Publishers

Xxain said:
^plz stop...I HATE when people say that, SONY's havin a rough time thats it

Why?  I'm not bashing them--I despise people who do that.  They aren't just 'havin a rough time'.  They've lost billions of dollars--as a company, not just on Playstation--they've had to cut entire divisions and merge others (including Playstation), and the entire planet is in the worst economic state since the Great Depression.

With that in mind, I don't see them too optimistic about cutting the price of a system that they're already losing money on.  I don't claim to be an economist, though--feel free to offer your own insights.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Considering that Nintendo had to raise the price of the Wii, I don't see Sony cutting prices any time soon.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

The third party publishers themselves need to offer the consumer a price cut. Third party titles are ten dollars more than first party games in my country.

14 million PS3s vs 9ish million 360... that's a bit backwards from most people predictions. I see this every year and every year it's shown to be wrong. If sony drops the price by 100 it's probably going to drop some feature like wifi...

I hope PS3 sales see an increase, but I don't want them to overtake Xbox 360 sales.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

Around the Network
shinyuhadouken said:
I hope PS3 sales see an increase, but I don't want them to overtake Xbox 360 sales.

Sony's learned their lesson... its just to late now

thekitchensink said:
Xxain said:
^plz stop...I HATE when people say that, SONY's havin a rough time thats it

Why?  I'm not bashing them--I despise people who do that.  They aren't just 'havin a rough time'.  They've lost billions of dollars--as a company, not just on Playstation--they've had to cut entire divisions and merge others (including Playstation), and the entire planet is in the worst economic state since the Great Depression.

With that in mind, I don't see them too optimistic about cutting the price of a system that they're already losing money on.  I don't claim to be an economist, though--feel free to offer your own insights.

Quite right on most of your points. Sony isn't going to be dropping the price anytime in the immediate future and anybody with eyes can see that. If they cut price anytime within the next 7 months they'd only lose money unnecessarily. However, when Q4 rolls around it will be game time for Sony. That will be the time when they have to decide whether they are going to forfeit their chances of beating 360 in worldwide marketshare this generation and potentially lose a fair bit of 3rd party support or continue to take a loss on PS3 hardware in exchange for the opportunity to beat Microsoft and allow the PS3 software sales to really take off. Sony can only hope by then that with the 45nm hardware revision, the ever lowering prices for the blu-ray components and perhaps a better stabalized economy that they can offset any possible hardware losses with massively increased software profits.

skip said:

The third party publishers themselves need to offer the consumer a price cut. Third party titles are ten dollars more than first party games in my country.

Don't the $70 games have to do with our low dollar? Early in the generation, ps3 games were definately $70 new, when our dollar was also fairly low.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ROFLOL...what do the publishers know...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

i would love an E3 announcement for $100 price drop like back in 07,but sadly it might not happen.