By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 is... an insult to the Resident Evil series.

Resident Evil 4 was a better game than any of the other Resident Evil games could ever hope to be. After Resident Evil 4, I went back and played the Resident Evil Remake and I couldn't play it...it wasn't until RE4 that I realized just how archaic the previous games in the series were.

Yes, the Resident Evil games were scary...but only because you were completely crippled by the controls and the god-awful camera angles. You were scared in the same sense a paraplegic is scared of staircases. Yes, that kind of cheap scare was fine in the PS1 days...but by Resident Evil Zero it was an absolute joke.

Oh, and Zelda's puzzles are creative...Resident Evil's were stupid. My idea of fun isn't spending 10 minutes in my inventory screen angling my key just right just so I can figure out where it fits.

And mind you, this is coming from someone who was fanatically loyal to the old games, and was dead set against RE4 when I first saw it (well, the redesigned version anyway). And I know there will always be holdouts...but if they are so blind not to see the series change as a good thing, then they don't deserve to be listened to. They are so far beyond reason there is no hope for them.

The Resident Evil series now is about intensity. Being surrounded by screaming enemies and only having enough ammo to blast a hole through the ranks and run away is scary, especially now that inventory is real-time. Is it different? Of course. But a series that doesn't evolve is a series that doesn't last. RE4 could have been the last game in the series if not for the paradigm shift it introduced. If there's anything bad that can be said about RE5, it was the fear of the developers to not evolve even more. I actually agree with their decision to keep the stop and shoot mechanic. There has to be some drawback to choosing fight over flight other than ammo limits. They just seemed to recycle a little TOO much from RE4, including the enemies. But co-op is just such a rewarding experience that it is easy to forgive most of the flaws of the game.

Around the Network

Seems there will be a petition to capcom to not port it for teh Wii heheh

The best  RE ever. Period.

bugrimmar said:
dano said:
you complaint about the controls and the slow enemies, and want the game to be like it´s predecessors at the same time....yes, it could use faster enemies and better controls like past resident evil games.... oh wait

i'm saying:

1.) if it's supposed to be survival horror, make it scary.

2.) if it's supposed to be an action game, make the controls better and the enemies faster.

basically, RE5 needs to find its identity. right now, it's an action game that sucks or a survival horror game that's not scary.

i get your point now, and you used the right words in that sentence, i still think it´s a great game, but i agree with you in that they fuse those genres, but the difference is that you think it sucks and i don´t, but i understand you and respect that=).

wii fc : 7188 5379 1382 7074
smash fc :2234 6924 8637

gamertag : Dano2688

Why are there so many people asking for Resident Evil to go back to its root when we were given a kick ass horror title with Deadspace for the holydays and actually not that many people purchased it...

Anyway personally I feel the new Resident Evil is far more fun and addictive than the old ones...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

thpoint x said:

ecuation  21m+28m-1=?

c ?....

,..OK..,.. 21 m of ps3 users +  28m 360 users - YOU  =,nothing really significant for capcom.''Don't Worry, Be Happy''

thats really an ignorant thing to say... firstly, he is just stating his opinion. secondly, you are making the assumption that he is the only person out of those 49 million that has his opinion when that is most definately not true. there are other people who also think re5 isnt 'resident evil'.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

Around the Network

For those that have played Resident Evil 4 on the wii with the wii controls, how do they stack up against Resident 5 controls. Do you think that the wii controls would work better then the 360 and PS3 controls.

People who miss the "old" RE fail epically. The old RE's spit on games with good controls.

This is a fail thread.
Have you even honestly played the game?

Sales of the franchise Resident Evil:

Resident Evil : 6.7 M
Resident Evil 2 : 6.08 M
Resident Evil 3 : 3.52 M
Resident Evil : Code Veronica : 3.21 M
Resident Evil 0 : 1.34 M
Resident Evil 4 : 6.28 M

I have added all versions of one game (ports, remakes, director's cut ....) to obtein the final result. Studying the development of the sales we can figure out Capcom conclusions:

· In RE3 sales started to decline. The franchise only sold half of what it used to sell.
· The franchise was getting repetitive and users were not as fascinating as they were at the begining related to Resident Evil games.
· They needed a change and made a probe with Resident Evil 4. This game have sold 6.28 M copies which means that the sales returned to the level of the first RE sales, which were very good news for Capcom.
· Capcom will maintain RE4 style game until sales decline again.
· If RE5 sales are half or less than RE4 sales, Capcom will reconsider the direction of the franchise and will give the franchise a change again.
· If RE5 achieves the mark of 6M or higher, be sure we will have another pure action game in RE6.

DavidValbu said:
Sales of the franchise Resident Evil:

Resident Evil : 6.7 M
Resident Evil 2 : 6.08 M
Resident Evil 3 : 3.52 M
Resident Evil : Code Veronica : 3.21 M
Resident Evil 0 : 1.34 M
Resident Evil 4 : 6.28 M

I have added all versions of one game (ports, remakes, director's cut ....) to obtein the final result. Studying the development of the sales we can figure out Capcom conclusions:

· In RE3 sales started to decline. The franchise only sold half of what it used to sell.
· The franchise was getting repetitive and users were not as fascinating as they were at the begining related to Resident Evil games.
· They needed a change and made a probe with Resident Evil 4. This game have sold 6.28 M copies which means that the sales returned to the level of the first RE sales, which were very good news for Capcom.
· Capcom will maintain RE4 style game until sales decline again.
· If RE5 sales are half or less than RE4 sales, Capcom will reconsider the direction of the franchise and will give the franchise a change again.
· If RE5 achieves the mark of 6M or higher, be sure we will have another pure action game in RE6.

That's not a fair comparison because:

1.  We don't have sales for the N64 and GC versions of RE1-3 (nor DC, seeing as you want to include all versions of each title). 

2.  While I agree you should have added the ps2 and GC numbers for RE4, throwing in Wii numbers doesn't make much sense, since many of those who bought the game on Wii were simply rebuying it.  Similary, I wouldn't throw in GC numbers for RE1-3, as I'm sure many of the people who bought those bought them for the upgraded graphics (or the other features the remake of RE1 brought to the table).

All RE4's sales show us is that it rejuvenated RE's sales in the West, while drastically curbing them in Japan.  RE4 barely broke 700k between the ps2 and GC versions combined, while RE1-3 all broke 1.5 million on the ps1 alone.