By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Joystiq hands on with PSP Slim-Part 1

Not really worth upgrading the old PSP to this PSP-2000 if the most important features aren't significantly changed. The DS lite was and is considered a worthy upgrade from the DS Phat in many ways.

- Lighter screens (4 brightness settings in all)
DS Phat had 2 brightness settings

- Battery life extended to 19hrs. on lower settings (Volume, Brightness, etc. although sometimes mine lasts up to 22hrs.
DS Phat battery life up to 15hrs.

- Button layout improved (Start/Select buttons are on the bottom right hand side, ABXY buttons feel better, and amongst other things like the repositioning of the mic and the on/off button.)

I'm not sure if the screens are any bigger but those are some good reasons that I can think of that'll make me consider upgrading. I never owned the first DS so to me it was an decision. There are some cons to the DS lite as well like the GBA games protrude out from the bottom but other than that, it's all good!!!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network
mancandy said:
Wow....it looks the same. And is still doesn't have GT PSP.

You get an A for trolling. Congratulotions.

The option to play games on my TV screen using my PSP already sold me on this a while ago, and from that screenshot the PSP game looks very smooth on the HD TV screen.

Good news for me.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

shams said:
masschamber said:
a thought occurred That extra 64MB could be a real bad thing if games start requiring it, seriously that would bite for current owners and to developers doubling the available ram is probably really tempting... plus I'd seriously be annoyed if suddenly games aren't compatible with my old psp

Sony will never allow that - that is why the RAM can only be used for optional things in game code, such as a loading cache (to reduce loading times).

It could be still be sucky though - new games designed for the updated PSP might have terrible loading performance (i.e. streaming) on the old PSP. 

ehh, hopefully your right, probably are but probably will be an issue with homebrew stuff, or atleast owners of the new model will get better homebrew,

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ckmlb said:
mancandy said:

The option to play games on my TV screen using my PSP already sold me on this a while ago, and from that screenshot the PSP game looks very smooth on the HD TV screen.

Good news for me.

I got called a troll by one of the biggest trolls ever. Awesome.

Right...I have had the PSP since launch. I went to E3 in 2004 just to see this thing and they played GT PSP on most of the PSPs on display. I was sold on that one game. It is almost 2008 and no GT PSP in sight. So I think I have right to complain. Outputting to the TV is the lamest option ever. Yay, I already have my HD-DVD hooked up to the TV, but I am going to watch my UMD version. I have my PS2 hooked up too, but I'll play the slower, lower res version of Prince of Persia PSP on the TV. Stupid.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:
ckmlb said:
mancandy said:

Good news for me.

I got called a troll by one of the biggest trolls ever. Awesome.

Right...I have had the PSP since launch. I went to E3 in 2004 just to see this thing and they played GT PSP on most of the PSPs on display. I was sold on that one game. It is almost 2008 and no GT PSP in sight. So I think I have right to complain. Outputting to the TV is the lamest option ever. Yay, I already have my HD-DVD hooked up to the TV, but I am going to watch my UMD version. I have my PS2 hooked up too, but I'll play the slower, lower res version of Prince of Persia PSP on the TV. Stupid.

lol...yeah the psp to the Tv is pretty stupid....

never like the psp...only for music so idc about this 

Around the Network

I'll use the PSP's option to hook it up to my TV. Of course the reason will be to play turn based games i can't get on other systems.

Does seem kinda... minor as far as redesigns go... but that's how handhelds often go isn't it?

Well Il buy it , but Im still not really impressed :( I would really want a bit more .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!