By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are people overreacting to the Wii's sales in Japan?

My answer to the question is yes and no.  I mean, it's true that the Wii is in a slump in Japan at the moment, and there ARE reasons to be skeptical of Nintendo's release schedule.  But I really don't think the Wii is really going to be the loser in the longrun.  By the time the second half of the year rolls in, I expect the situation to turn around.

Around the Network

March 9th - End of March

Wii - Wiimake of Pikmin 2

Wii - Sonic and the Black Knight

Wii - Phantom Brave (RPG, port of a PS2 game)

Ps3's biggest game is probably Musou Orochi Z, which I imagine will sell very few units

==========================================================

It has more preorders than all the aforementioned games combined...Just FYI.

Next time, before you open your mouth, first ask yourself "Am I being a totalt fanboy dumbass or a tiresome fanboy jackass?". If the answer is yes to either one of those, then you should shut it.

Maybe because people got tired of sony doom treads, so they started to do wii doom tread, which are more refreshing. It's a nice change of pace, from sony will fail treads.

axumblade said:
Incandescence said:
I'm fairly confident PS3 will maintain sales that are just as, if not higher than the Wii's in Japan, and this is coming from a yaoi loving bitch that wants Sony to burn and die in the most gruesome ways possible.

by tentacle?...oh yeah. I went there.

Anyway, Wii is doing fine. Sony are doing how they should have been from the start. I don't see them catching the Wii but I see them doing a little better from here on out assuming that the PS3 continues to deliver what it failed to at the start, decent games that the Japanese are interested in.

lol!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Yes. yes they are.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I don't think people are overreacting, I think you are misinterpreting the situation

I can't speak for the other people here but for me what makes the situation bad is the fact that the Wii has seen decreasing sales each year so far. And currently it is on track to sell maybe 2.5 million units this year, while PS2, GBA, PSX, etc. sold 3.5-4 million units each year.

This is not about a "war" between the Wii and the HD consoles It is just about the Wii's sales. There are two handhelds selling way better than the Wii and developers will rather go for the handhelds.

I'll just say it that way: The sales have dropped dramatically compared to 2007. If you really think that's not enough reason for Nintendo to worry, well that's fine with me. But if I was the head of a company and my products sales decreased each year I'd be worried, yeah.

like I said in an earlier thread, beating the Wii during a software dry spell is like beating Lance Armstrong in a bike race when his legs are broken, not surprising, and it means nothing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

A lot depends on how long Nintendo wants to keep the Wii's price unchanged. A price cut in Japan would be really cheap (since sales are lower there), but they've said their strategy is not to cut prices... Maybe new colors and a WSR bundle later this year could at least allow it to be flat on a YOY basis.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Louie said:
I don't think people are overreacting, I think you are misinterpreting the situation

I can't speak for the other people here but for me what makes the situation bad is the fact that the Wii has seen decreasing sales each year so far. And currently it is on track to sell maybe 2.5 million units this year, while PS2, GBA, PSX, etc. sold 3.5-4 million units each year.

This is not about a "war" between the Wii and the HD consoles It is just about the Wii's sales. There are two handhelds selling way better than the Wii and developers will rather go for the handhelds.

I'll just say it that way: The sales have dropped dramatically compared to 2007. If you really think that's not enough reason for Nintendo to worry, well that's fine with me. But if I was the head of a company and my products sales decreased each year I'd be worried, yeah.

Japan's market is shrinking and world sales are growing, why should they worry?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)