By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the most Shocking Twist in an RPG for you? (spoilers obviously)

In pokemon Blue/red/yellow version when Gary beat me to become Champion of the Elite four! I rushed to get there and he STILL beat me to it!...

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Mid-way in Chapter 1 of Mother 3.

GBA games aren't supposed to be allowed to do that sort of thing.

Wow, I had planned on only reading through this thread to see what people would say, since I couldn't think of anything to add.

I can't believe I forgot about that. Holy crap that was insane.

I didn't like Chrono Cross as much as I'd wanted, but when they pulled the "old switcheroo!", I was blown away.

Griffin said:
The nonsense that was star ocean 3 or whatever it was on the PS2.

I agree, I never expected that a twist could be that horrible. The story was generic, but still pretty ejoyable up until that moment.

Xenogears had a couple of twists I didn't see coming.

And don't get me started on that whole Aeris and Sephiroth incident in FFVII, that was SHOCKING for a 15 year old.

I agree with the opening post. The exact twist I thought of when I saw the thread.

Around the Network

I say the twist in Bahamut Lagoon.

About 3/4ths of the way through it takes the most conventional SRPG story and turns it around on you and pisses you off and turns it around in a way you thought breaks all the rules of RPGS and JRPGS when it comes to story.

It's not a ZOMG THIS GUY IS EVIL or THE MAIN CHARACTER DIES or someone else dies type thing.

It's something MUCH more shocking... something that is both great but pisses you off and makes every battle afterwords somewhat bitter.

To my knowledge it's the only time a twist like it has been done that way.

It's a same you can only play the game in english via emulator.

I suggest buying an import copy and playing the translated version on an emulator.  It's just that good of a game in general.

Auron and Tidus at the end of Final Fantasy X was pretty sweet too.

Khuutra said:
Mid-way in Chapter 1 of Mother 3.

GBA games aren't supposed to be allowed to do that sort of thing.

That reminds me... i gotta pick up an import copy so i can play this.

Xenogears has got huge revelations in the plot.
Probably the greatest of the rpgs.
Naum named some. But there are more, like the church and the religion of the planet being fake, and you being the one that will kill 'god', and you being Lacan too etc etc.
Xenogears overrules.

''Hadouken!''

funny, I'm playing Baten Kaitos right now, so when I read the title I thought about the same thing... it was totally unexpected, even if Kalas looked like a jerk from the beginning. and even after hearing Melodia's voice I didn't think it was the same voice from the cutscenes after each seal, so I felt pretty dumb too hahaal

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!