By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SNES = king of all systems.

I disagree. In terms of game library PS2 is superior IMHO.

Although for me personally, the systems that I played and enjoyed the most are:
1. PS3
2. PS1
3. Genesis

Around the Network
Sky Render said:

From the perspective of the dedicated gamer, the SNES was indeed a strong system and a welcome upgrade. To the mainstream gamer, it was an insult as it was asking them to buy yet ANOTHER system; what was wrong with the NES, they asked? (No, I'm not kidding, people did ask that.) For Nintendo, it set up a chain of events that almost ended up destroying them, so it wasn't exactly their best move when they decided to release it. Take your pick of perspectives.

That's hyperbole.  While Nintendo did lose market share as strong competitors entered the market, they remained profitable for that entire period.  They were not in danger of being destroyed.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

antfromtashkent said:
Senlis said:

My response was more of a joke at the OP's expense because of the ambiguity of his question.  He asked which system is the best.  When you refer to "system" you are talking about the console's physical components, not the library of games that would play on it.  Therefore, another system (Wii) that can do everything the SNES system can physically do and more would be a better system.

I agree.. thats why the 60gig PS3 is the best cause it can play PS1 2 and 3 games :)

Yes, this is why I was comparing the SNES to Wii specifically.

One way that SNES (or any other classic console) beats modern generation consoles is longetivity.  Since newer consoles use optical drives, they are not going to last as long as the older cartridge based consoles are.

Nah, even back then genesis was better.

It was a great console nonetheless, but I think that the NES was greater because it did more for the industry than any other console, besides the wii.

Around the Network

SNES was amazing: A link to the Past, Actraiser, Final Fantasy 2/3 (4/6), Street Fighter 2, Super Metroid, Super Mario World it goes on and on.

Disagree. My vote goes for PlayStation 2 then Super Nintendo.

i think the ps1 is the king

When it comes to the games, the NES/SNES era is where it is at (I will also include Sega systems in there). Back in the NES days, just about every great game was using brand new and innovative concepts that would shape all future console generations. When the SNES/Genesis came along, those gaming concepts that were made during the NES were innovated further to make games that were much better than their NES counterparts.

I guess what I am trying to say is that during the NES/SNES era, everything seemed new and exciting. Every generation after that seems much less innovative. That is why I think they have the best library for it's time.

Of course if you hold the NES/SNES games up to todays standards, they won't do so well, but I don't think that is what the OP was meaning.