By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NCSoft to make MMOs exclusively for the PS3

Diomedes1976 said:
Maybe ,but things change .If they can keep those games being charge-free then the PS3 could be a good home to play those.Especially if there is cross-plattform gaming .Games as Lineage are extremely popular in Asia .

I would like to see a Tabula Rasa version for the PS3 ,thats for sure ....

That assumes that they mostly play subscription based games which is actually not true.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/07/17/apop.DTL

"We think the whole concept of spending $50 to buy a box, and then paying $15 a month just to try it out -- that's ridiculous," says Hong. "In Asia, virtually all of the new games that are being released are 'free to play' games. What this means is that you can try a game out just by downloading it and registering. But if you want certain enhancements -- special items, more abilities, unlockable characters -- you pay for those. About half of the revenues in the Korean games market today come from virtual item sales. People get hooked on the game, and they want to build up their characters beyond a limited level. Get it free, play the damn thing for free, pay for what you like. It's an enormously powerful concept."

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network

NCsoft is a titan in asian gaming biz, and will be good support for Sony to have along. They have over 20 million asian subscribers to their mmo's I think.
Everquest was on PS2, so it's not entirely inconceivable that GW 2 will be on the PS3. But I do doubt that they'll stop alltogether with making PC games, that is what made them huge after all!

Yep this has been known since E3. In the interview they say some products can be made for the PSP, I sure hope this happens. A MMORPG, made specially for the PSP, could be awesome!

Diomedes1976 said:
By the way sieanr ,relax ,the day the PS3 takes off you will have a heart attack .And it is just applying the NA price drop to Europe and Japan away to start putting really big differences against its main competitor .
Your right, I will have a heart attack since that means it will have been $600 well spent.

Just one question, what will happen when/if the PS3 ends up third overall? Will you accept that the Wii is more popular and the PS3 is a failure compared to its predecessors, or will you continue to delude yourself into thinking its the best platfomr?

EDIT; I just realized that you mentioned a PS3 price drop. Japan has been paying significantly less for the PS3 than the US since day 1.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Dodece said:
Auto Assault will no longer be supported past August 31st. That aside personally I have not been very intrigued by their offerings. I prefer to avoid instanced gaming and I disapprove of micro transactions, or premium services for that matter. I also abhor the very notion of stockpiled publishes which NC soft is known to do.

I put Auto Assault in because I knew the game was doing horrible and I'd figure they'd do a quick port of that to hopefully get some quick cash on it. Didn't know it was fully dead in the water. I don't think CoH/CoV is doing to well either. I constantly get free play weekend offers from the beta access I had. The best thing about that game is the character creation. The actual game sucked.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Around the Network

most ncsoft - "american" titles are crap on a stick

hell lineage and lineage II fall into that category as well..

if they keep trying though they might get a good mmo out eventually.

From the article: 

So the PlayStation games will be exclusive to PlayStation, but you might develop different games for different platforms?

No. We've got a load of stuff in development, primarily for PC. We will, with Sony, select the ones that we think are applicable to do on PS3. Those are the ones we will do for PS3, and they will be exclusive to PS3. But they will also very likely be on PC, but not any other console.

Sorta like the exclusives the 360 shares with the PC, which aren't really exclusives at all. Interesting that PC gaming seems to be benefiting more from this generation than any other.

I except more of this type from NCSoft and SOE as Sony keeps grabbing new studios.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I really hope NCSoft or SOE makes a PSP MMORPG, that would be really awesome!
PLaying with my friends outside, travveling through the world :D