By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NCSoft to make MMOs exclusively for the PS3

NCSoft a developer of several big MMOs is going to start producing MMOs for the PS3 exclusively.  Sony just got another company on its side!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28059

Around the Network

They create Role Playing games isn't? Am curious, sounds interesting.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Wonder if they're going to develop Guild Wars 2 for the PS3. NCSoft is technically the publisher but they bought out Arenanet the company that develops it (which has a lot of people from the Diablo 2 and pre-WOW years of Blizzard)

I'll be getting GW2 for the PC. I've played a bunch of NCSoft games in beta and none of them have really ever caught my eye like Guild Wars did the first time I read about the game. I want to try out Aion but I haven't gotten access yet. It'll be p2p though so I probably won't end up getting it even if I love it in beta.

I'm guessing Aion, Auto Assault, and 2 free games will be up first. GW2 isn't supposed to be out until 2009 and I don't see them going back and making Prophesies, Factions, Nightfall & the new expansion playable on the PS3.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

*~Onna76~* said:

Exactly.  They are a pretty big developer so this is a big peice of news

Sony already announced it at E3 .It was one of those announcements that passed nearly unnoticed as there wasnt a single screenshot of a project but that in the end could put most of Asia under the PS3 belt ...

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:

They're mostly known for MMORPGs like Lineage, City of Heroes/Villians, & Guild Wars but they've got some non RPG games.
Auto Assault is a vehicle combat game with a few rpg elements.
Dungeon Runners is just an online hack'n'slash dungeon crawler.
There's some new game with gundam like bots that you can build yourself and fight.
They've got a 3v3 street soccer game coming out, too.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Diomedes1976 said:
Sony already announced it at E3 .It was one of those announcements that passed nearly unnoticed as there wasnt a single screenshot of a project but that in the end could put most of Asia under the PS3 belt ...
You know, almost all MMO's in asia that are popular are on the PC. Now, before you say this is because they are only on PC, its not. Many people in asia play MMOs in computer cafe's, and in South Korea the PC is entrenched with no signs of this changing.

No way those MMOs make the PS3 take off in asia, or really anywhere for that matter. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Maybe ,but things change .If they can keep those games being charge-free then the PS3 could be a good home to play those.Especially if there is cross-plattform gaming .Games as Lineage are extremely popular in Asia .

I would like to see a Tabula Rasa version for the PS3 ,thats for sure ....

By the way sieanr ,relax ,the day the PS3 takes off you will have a heart attack .And it is just applying the NA price drop to Europe and Japan away to start putting really big differences against its main competitor .

Auto Assault will no longer be supported past August 31st. That aside personally I have not been very intrigued by their offerings. I prefer to avoid instanced gaming and I disapprove of micro transactions, or premium services for that matter. I also abhor the very notion of stockpiled publishes which NC soft is known to do.

That said this was a good news bad news scenario. The good news is that Sony secured a exclusive relationship with a developer. The bad news is that really doesn't amount to anything. The console is now going to have two MMORPG publishers that are not going to compete with one another. How many MMORPGs does any console need, and I do not see either party developing anything earth shattering.

Frankly the news is troubling. Why would Sony turn their console into a dump for MMORPGs? Think about all the dark and twisted reasons. Whatever the reason it generates questions about hardware longevity, and software support. Can you imagine the PS3 being labeled the MMORPG machine?

By the way Dallas I am noticing a trend with your posts.