By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS2 RPGs I should buy?

Let me start this thread by stating that I own the vast majority of (NTSC) PS2 RPGs, with only a few exceptions.

There are a few which I once owned, and have since disposed of (Disgaea 1,2 -- I know they are loved by most, but I despise them), and a few which I still own, and kinda wish I had never purchased (FF X-2, Xenosaga series).  Mostly, I own, and have enjoyed them all, however.

There are a couple left, which I have yet to try -- and I'd like some advice on whether or not you (the reader/RPG fan here on VGC) think I'd like them.

First, the oddities of my RPG likes/dislikes:

• I dislike Disgaea, but I like Eternal Poison, despite their baseline similarity.
  • Xenosaga was relatively boring and the story was too whacked to be entertaining.
  • FF X-2 sucked.  I can't describe why, but I think most PS2 RPG fans understand why anyhow.
  • I dislike dating/social RPGs.  Ar Tonelico, and even Persona... not my thing.  Don't take the Persona thing personally.
  • I like both linear and open RPGs.  
  • I like both JRPGs and WRPGs.  I like some SRPGs (like Fire Emblem and Jeanne D'Arc), but not all (Disgaea, and a couple others).
  • Summoner and Legend of Alon'Dar, early PS2 WRPGs, dragged on a bit, but I don't actually regret playing them (like I do Xenosaga).  Possibly I liked them due to their pseudo-ARPG nature, and primitive FF XII-style fighting systems.
  • Wild Arms rocks.  Grandia rocks.  Rogue Galaxy rocked.  Ys was fun.  FF X,XII were decent.

Given that...  There are a few PS2 RPGs which I have never tried/owned, but I'm looking at buying:

• Tsugunai Atonement
  • Steambot Chronicles
  • Romancing SaGa
  • Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
  • Front Mission 4
Are these games any good?  Will I enjoy them, do you think?  The reviews on them are kind of disjunct, in terms of the reviewer enjoying or disliking them, and the points they bring up vary widely.  I gather than Romancing SaGa and Steambot are fairly open ended, and this is both their strength and downfall.  The other two seem like relatively stock JRPGs (which I would thus, probably enjoy?)

(EDIT: Yes, I have all the Tales, all the Shadow Hearts, Atelier Iris series, Star Ocean, Dawn of Mana, Suikoden, Shining Tears, .hack, Valkyrie Profile, KH 1 & 2, Dark Cloud 1 & 2, DQ8, the list goes on and on...  I'm only interested in the four above at this time)

Around the Network

Based on what you have written you might like Shadow Hearts, so that's my suggestion. Go with the first in the series if possible or skip to the third since the first and second are related but the third is an independent story.

Torillian said:
Based on what you have written you might like Shadow Hearts, so that's my suggestion. Go with the first in the series if possible or skip to the third since the first and second are related but the third is an independent story.

I own all three Shadow Hearts, and they were great!  I was serious when I said I had the vast majority of NTSC RPGs on the PS2.

Shadow Hearts, .hack, Atelier Iris, Shining Tears... you name it.  I have some pretty obscure ones, even.  The four I listed are, basically, the last four I can even find that exist, on NTSC, which I have never tried.

sigh....my thread skimming has failed me again. All I will do is tell you I hated Magna Carta, and did not play the other three you are looking at.

Torillian said:
sigh....my thread skimming has failed me again. All I will do is tell you I hated Magna Carta, and did not play the other three you are looking at.

What did you hate about it?

Around the Network

Go buy Tales of the Abyss it was amazing.The storyline was great and so was the characters.And the battle system was great to.One of the best games on the ps2 so don't miss it.

g-value said:
Go buy Tales of the Abyss it was amazing.The storyline was great and so was the characters.And the battle system was great to.One of the best games on the ps2 so don't miss it.

I have all the Tales on the PS2. Come on guys, the four I mentioned. =)

I am not joking with the near-complete PS2 RPG library comment.

Magna Carta is one of the very few JRPG's I couldn't find my way to finishing. The story was mundane and didn't interest me at all (helping girl with amnesia just seems so cliche), and the battle system wasn't interesting enough to make up for the lack of interest in the storyline. I think I made it 10 or so hours before I just couldn't force myself any further.

Torillian said:
Magna Carta is one of the very few JRPG's I couldn't find my way to finishing. The story was mundane and didn't interest me at all (helping girl with amnesia just seems so cliche), and the battle system wasn't interesting enough to make up for the lack of interest in the storyline. I think I made it 10 or so hours before I just couldn't force myself any further.

Did you like Xenosaga's story?  Admittedly some of the characters in Xenosaga were decent, but the main plot was kinda on the awful side (for me).

I actually liked Xenosaga, I think the issue for many is it gets too philosophical and preachy for many.