By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation Network to overtake Xbox Live? (interesting article)!

Playstation Network to overtake Xbox Live?

Uh.  It's a sphere with shapes on it.  Can't think of anything witty.

Is the  Playstation Network would catching up to the illustrious Xbox Live?  What with the release of Killzone 2 (with its substantial host of sales) and a mess of high-quality offerings available on the system, it seems as though this could be the case.

Along with the recent release of the poetic and beautiful game of intense artistic expression, Flower, the Playstation Network could be adding another popular independent developer game of decent renown and popularity in that of Braid.  The recent acquisition of the former Xbox Live Arcade exclusive by Hothead Games has lead to its release on Mac and PC.

Since Hothead, the developers responsible for the the Penny Arcade Adventures, has put their games on the PS3, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to assume from that point that Braid, too, will arrive in the fullness of time, as well as on Steam (it might already be there, for all I know).

This sort of thing makes me wonder if the PS3 may begin to undercut the 360 with its online service.  With what may end up being a killer app in Killzone 2 to get the sheer numbers of online players into the Network for their gaming, that along with the potential of snatching a big exclusive from the arcade.

To be fair, the catalogue for the 360 arcade is pretty darn impressive, but it seems that, with the exception of Braid, they don't have quite as many creative exclusives as the PSN is gathering.  Titles like fl0w, The Last Guy, the very strange Pain, Everyday Shooter (which did end up on Windows), the whole PixelJunk thing, the incredibly bizarre Noby Noby Boy, and a smattering of classics, not quite as many as the XBLA, mind you.  They do, however, have several classic and popular PSOne games on there, such as Medieval, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, a few Crash Bandicoots, and several others.

Again, to be fair, XBLA has Castle Crashers, which is superb, and they have Marathon 2: Durandal (if they had the whole trilogy I'd be more impressed).

There is always Home, as well, but that seems to have gotten a lukewarm reception of relative disinterest.  Whether or not it takes off is anyone's guess, but it does give the PSN another piece of individuality, at the very least.

Granted, XBox Live seems to have a pretty big lead in terms of utilization, and network downloadable games provide just one tiny facet of the services.  Who knows?  The PS3 has kicked off the year with a great start, and things are looking much better for the system that was, not too long ago, looking fairly forlorn.  We'll see what happens in the near future.

________

It totally agree PSN games are more creative than the 360 XBLa ones.

whether it will overtake....who knows

What do you think Vg chartz

will the apprentice surpass the master?

_________

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

If the ps3 sales speed up (PRICE CUT PLZ?!), the PSN could be a force to be reckoned with. But with an 8 million console, and 200 dollar price lead- Xbox 360 remains king of the hill...for now.

well so far vg chartz likes Wii online n PS3 online more than XBL

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

If this is about the quality of the service (games available etc) then it is entirely subjective... each person can have a different view of which is better just like they do now.

If it is about subscribers, then we have no idea how many are using PSN from PS3 only because Sony put PSP figures in with the numbers they release too.

Nah PSN won't take over. KZ2 will raise the quality of gameplay on PSN, but thats about it.

Around the Network

not a chance.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

People have been saying this for what ever since PSN came out,Honestly who cares?

My main problem with psn (and this is more to do with the players themselves) is that hardly anyone uses a microphone.

I think the games in general are just better on Live too. I do agree that PSN is a bit more creative (I have flower) I just don't think it can compare with Banjo kazooie/tooie, R-type, ikaruga, battle star galactica, braid.

Actually I've changed my mind mid post, I don't really think that PSN is more creative now that we have Live community games, but I do think if you want creative games with a high budget for graphics then PSN wins.

I don't know if these games are available on the PSN, but these are the games coming in my mind talking about good arcade games.

• Braid
  • Castle Crashers
  • Uno (rush)
  • Geometry Wars (2)
  • R-Type
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Banjo Tooie
  • SoulCalibur
  • Doom
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Portal
  • Streets of Rage
  • Worms
  • Catan

I don't know why there is so much talking about Killzone2. Killzone2 seems to be a good shooter and Killzone2 will be played online. That is okay, but that does not change the situation for the PSN significantly. Left 4 Dead is a game that is pretty much for online only and it is on a very good way to cross 2 million soon.

Besides that there are several things on the Xbox Live that are unique and simply great. netflix, the party-system, HEADSETS, lots of DLC for retail games (GTA IV, Fallout3, Fable2, Tomb Raider), videochats, videomessages etc. Primetime will be fun as well, the VoD gets bigger and bigger, even in Europe with NBC Universal supporting Xbox Live marketplace in France, Spain and Germany now. The ability to share pictures with yor friends (my bet is that movies are next).

So Killzone2 will be a good shooter to play online, but this is definately something the Xbox360 has to offer, too. (Gears 1/2, Halo3, Left 4 Dead)

The PS3 is improving but Xbox Live remains the leader.

my 2 cents.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...