By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has The PS3 Already Won The Exclusive Battle?

Early in this generation, those who disliked Sony and had little to no faith in the PlayStation 3, derided the company for losing third-party exclusives. Along with complaints of an exorbitant price and a typically mediocre launch software lineup, this was one of those legitimate complaints that most avid PlayStation followers simply didn't want to acknowledge. It was true: Sony lost Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, and most recently, Final Fantasy. ...and yet, here we sit, less than two and a half years later, and it seems as if the PS3 has - by far and away - the best and most promising exclusive lineup of software.

Third-party exclusivity is just about dead and buried (even timed exclusivity will soon die out as the gap between the PS3 and 360 continues to narrow), so it really all comes down to first- and second-party projects. Now, we all have to remember that top exclusive titles often are system sellers; it's a matter of simple logic, right? If you want to play Killzone 2, you need a PS3. If you want to play Gears of War 2, you need a Xbox 360. When MGS4 launched, there was a huge PS3 sales spike. When Gears 2 launched, there was a huge 360 sales spike. Therefore, there's no doubt that exclusives will continue to play a very large role in the hardware sales success of both competing companies. And as far as I can tell, Sony may have this one sewn up already:

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • God of War III
  • Killzone 2
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Resistance 2
  • Warhawk
  • Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Folklore
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • InFamous
  • Heavy Rain
  • Final Fantasy Versus XIII
  • MotorStorm
  • MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • MAG
  • Wipeout HD
  • Flower

And I just took them all off the top of my head; I'm sure there are more.

As far as I can tell, the Xbox 360 has the Gears series and that's about it. There are a few IPs I'm looking forward to this year (like Alan Wake), and I'm picking up Star Ocean: The Last Hope tomorrow, but comparing these to the exclusive lineup on the PS3 seems a little silly. Now, just to clarify, I am not saying the PS3 is the superior machine; this topic only focuses on exclusive titles. Secondly, as I do own a 360, I'd be very interested to learn of more 360 exclusives coming up that look good; I want to play good games. And I kinda like the idea of exclusives. I like the idea that I have to own a particular console to play a certain game; it may sound ridiculous, but it's true to some extent. So if anybody wants to enlighten me as to the 360 exclusives coming up that will act as competition to the PS3's lineup - games mentioned above - I'm all ears. Obviously, raving fanboy rants won't be tolerated and we'll get rid of you super crazy fast.

The point is, I just find it a little ironic that everyone was laughing at how Sony was losing exclusives left and right and two years later, it's crystal clear they now have the significant edge in the exclusive battle.

http://www.psxextreme.com/feature/386.html

Around the Network

1st party? id say yes

third party? no

ugh

Dude, you're a PS3 fanboy, (avatars don't lie) ofcourse you can name more PS3 exclusives than Xbox 360 exclusives. I'm sure some Xbox 360 owning users can and will respond with a much bigger list of exclusive games. Here's a few to start, Halo, Viva Pinata, all the other Rare properties.

I'm a PS3 owner and I have zero interest in more than half of those games. Just thought that was interesting.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

I don't care about exclusives list war...this argument is for fanboys and immature 12 year olds.

Around the Network

lol i think i missed that sentence

thread kind of fails now...

burgerstein said:
Dude, you're a PS3 fanboy, (avatars don't lie) ofcourse you can name more PS3 exclusives than Xbox 360 exclusives. I'm sure some Xbox 360 owning users can and will respond with a much bigger list of exclusive games. Here's a few to start, Halo, Viva Pinata, all the other Rare properties.

I'm a PS3 owner and I have zero interest in more than half of those games. Just thought that was interesting.

dont jump to conclusions.  it was an article if u spent time to look.  hes just starting discussion and this is a forum.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

I'm happy with the PS3 line-up , I own a PS3 ... that's it.

KylieDog said:
If the OP wants to make a even half decent argument you cannot make silly statements like "As far as I can tell, the Xbox 360 has the Gears series and that's about it."

I agree with him that the PS3 has the better exclusive line up but when I read that sentence everything he said just turned into a blind blabbering fanboy matephorical fistpump. I'm not a fan of the series but I don't know how you ignore Halo or the success of other 360 exclsuives like Fable and Mass Effect. This thread fails. 

soccerdrew17 said:
burgerstein said:

dont jump to conclusions.  it was an article if u spent time to look.  hes just starting discussion and this is a forum.

He isn't jumping to conclusions, he is spot on.

Halo 3

Halo Wars

Viva 1 & 2

Banjo Kazooie

Fable 2

Braid

Left 4 Dead

Gears 1 & 2

Ninja Gaiden

Forza Motorsport 2 & 3

Mass Effect

Dead Rising