By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you like Europe to become a "real country": United States of Europe.

Let's imagine that you're voting tomorrow, what would you do: yes or no? I'd say yes. I live in a small country (belgium) and we don't exist anymore at an international scale. Moreover, countries like china, india, brazil are on the rise and if we wanna be competitive, europe has to speak in one voice.

Around the Network

no, europe can acheive progress through an economic unification treaty, europe is to culturally diverse to become one.

culturally diverse? Almost every european countries have the same culture (roman) so ... I don't know what you mean. And it would be a federal state, so culture would be managed by regions and not by the federal state.

I would not call it United states of Europe. I am fan of the European Union and I would like to see an EU president and stuff like that but I am fine what it is today. I mean living in Belgium do you still feel it as living in one country? If you pass the border in the south does it really feels that you left Belgium?

No, but would nice to have one army, one nuclear politic, one politic about climat, one about foreign and one tax system. Oh and BTW, the term "United states of Europe" is an old one, I think that is was the french president that used this term first, after WW2.

Around the Network

The question isn't specific enough - if I believed that someone had worked out a fair system of a government for all countries, and that all countries would maintain their own culture, rather than becoming some homogeneous blob, then yes

Also, Switzerland would become the first ever 'island' country, surrounded on all sides by a single country

I agree, USE would be a crap name, EU sounds much better

They seem to be quite well off with how they currently have things working.

4 ≈ One

Tremble said:
No, but would nice to have one army, one nuclear politic, one politic about climat, one about foreign and one tax system. Oh and BTW, the term "United states of Europe" is an old one, I think that is was the french president that used this term first, after WW2.

You should read more about the EU mister!

Last week the SAFE passed the EU parlement. SAFE: Synchronized Armed Forces Europe

You can say it is the beginning of an EU army.

Anyway it is easy for me to see the EU as an country already;  China is also a country with +50 languages and regions with different laws etc. 

Yeah: synchronized: doesn't sound like "one army".

Tremble said:
Yeah: synchronized: doesn't sound like "one army".

=p It takes time buddy.  Rome was not built in one day!