By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (PSP-2) Is Real, No UMD Drive

I dunno, I think it would be nice to have a portable gaming system that was all digital distribution. If you're actually you know....playing your system out and about having just the system with all your game on it sure beats carrying around the system with a bunch of bulky UMD's.

Sony is going the right direction with bringing the Playstation store to the PSP. IMO it would go from a good system to a truely great one if only Sony would expand on their PSP legacy, PSone, and PSN game service on the store. As it stands now trickling out one or two releases every month really isn't cutting it.

If Sony went that route I think they should bundle some decent onboard flash memory (ala iPhone) with a removable storage option.

Another plus would be adding trophy support to the system.  You can already use your existing PSN store account so it seems like extending trophy support to that account would be a natural progression.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Don't give me this shit..... I don't want it now..... PSP is just starting to breathe again..

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

While I expect the PSP name to survive in some form, I really doubt that Sony is going to release a second game focused PSP any time soon.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I don't believe this. I'll wait to hear it straight from SONY.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Not that I believe this just yet, but as far as a UMD-less PSP goes I can't see it happening without an external UMD drive being made available. This could allow for transfers from UMD to PSP, but the pirates would absolutely love it...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

i am literally begging for this to be true. the umd is so detrimental to the psp. it creates so many negatives such as:
-shorter battery life
-extensive load times
-limited game data space (1.8gb)
-necessitates the need for a larger more expensive unit.

the nintendo dsi was just released at a price point that matches the psp. imagine if sony were to release the slimmed down, faster, memory stick based psp at aprice point that is actually cheaper than the dsi by real amount. 40 or 50 bucks. the technology is there and it is cheap. sony can do it but they cant afford to waste time.

Sony could actually release PSP-2 at PS2's tenth anniversary.

this would really be great. i had a modded psp and i can definitely attest that the games being run off the memory stick drastically reduce loading times and game lag. i'm basing this off of madden 2009 wich i had umd(legally purchased) and the digital copy saved directly to my memory stick. the one saved to my memory stick loaded is about 60% the same time and i noticed much smoother gameplay without as much freezing or lag.

darn mine is 1 month old, darn

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection