By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gears of War 2 vs Killzone 2 Engine Comparison

Recoil of a weapon in a 3D virtual environment is a technical feature. It's not part of any other development. The trailer is comparing how the weapons feel in the game.

Also I never said the 360 couldn't handle recoil in a game.

He brought up the lighting differences in the games. Killzone 2 has better dynamic lighting. It doesn't matter how you look at light. If it's bright, it's bright. Since he was comparing the sunlight in these 2 games then in broad daylight (as was shown and compared) it's going to be bright. Because it's the sun.

As I stated though. This trailer can't give a proper comparison on the games' graphics, since it not a very well made trailer.

Also try to keep in mind that the Killzone 2 footage is of the demo. Not the final release build. Like Gears of War 2.

Around the Network

It's only because KZ2 is apparently trying to be so "realistic" that it's flaws are easier to find and more ridiculed in my eyes. Someone had a sig with a short clip showing someone throwing a grenade at a Helghast. The grenade bounces abnormally high (I had no idea they used bouncy balls....) and when the Helghast gets hit by the blast, he falls over the railing. His leg goes THROUGH the rail though... oh right I forgot that our legs do that in real life all the time.. If that wasn't all, when the Helghast falls on the floor (presumably dead), the player runs up and shoots him in the head. What happens? The Helghast's head starts to explode and fly in chunks. That didn't happen last time I shot someone multiple times in the head in real life, and that was last weekend.

I think KZ2 is great, I have no qualms with it, but when people start talking about how realistic this game is, all it does is make the faults and quirks even more prominent.

You guys keep scrutinizing this game to try and make it seem amazing, and that only makes the rest of us scrutinize and find the bad parts which we probably wouldn't even notice before.

its too bad that killzones controls/ai couldnt be on par with its graphics.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
its too bad that I can't afford a ps3 to play the amazing killzone 2

Yeah, that's a shame man.

CGI-Quality said:
@ Mr Bubbles

Uuuhh...what, one of KZ2's strongest points is it's AI, what are you talking about? Btw, have you played KZ2?

Well there's at least one owner of the game (he made a thread) who thinks the AI is terrible.

Around the Network
Garnett said:
Posted already,While Gears has better textures,KZ2 has better shaders.

I hope your joking. The textures in KZ2 are outstanding. They also look more realistic.

i seriously dont understand the fanboyism. it makes gamers want to exile all idiots from sony and ms into planet helghan or hell to annoy the dead as punishment for their sins.

1. gears2 is an awesome game and any GAMER who hasnt played it is missing out.

2. killzone2 from the demo has lived up to the much demanding ever growing pain in the ass hype. any GAMER who doesnt play it will be missing out.

3. the video is a ENGINE comparrison not a texture, lighting or recoil comparrison. that means the ENGINES are being compared on what CAN and CANT/IS NOT done on either game.

4. for any ignorant fanboy, the killzone2 intro shown is INGAME graphics so get over it.

5. i am not brilliant at fps or tps, i always play on easy difficulty level, but i had no problems with gears arcade feel or killzone2 sim feel controls. its as they say, people looking to complain will always find a way!

6. stop being fanboys, this site is for gamers. do yourself a favour and go enjoy and celebrate both games, i wouldnt see these fanboys arguing if they were offered salma hayek or eva mendez for the night. favouritism then would fly out of the window and commonsense would kick in. i suppose the reality is fanboys lack commonsense...its a shame.

BxN said:
MrBubbles said:
its too bad that I can't afford a ps3 to play the amazing killzone 2

Yeah, that's a shame man.

im even in the ps3 league, so stfu & gtfo of here troll.

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

CGI-Quality said:
@ Mr Bubbles

Uuuhh...what, one of KZ2's strongest points is it's AI, what are you talking about? Btw, have you played KZ2?

i played the demo.  and if the AI in the demo is an accurate representation, then i stand by my assertion.

Pretty impressive for just a demo using the last build b4 the final build for the full game. GG has really impressed me so far this gen win Liberations and Killzone2.

4 ≈ One