By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gears of War 2 vs Killzone 2 Engine Comparison

thats not prerendered though.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

that video had some great laughs.

1. Let's compare rendered graphics oO Isn't that stupid? And if you want to compare rendered graphicsd, there is nothing better than the rendered sequences in Fable2. Maybe Halo Wars can jump in. The CGI stuff was awesome.
  2. I got this from the youtube-comments: "Killzone2 has a dynamic recoil system, each shot effects the magnum's bullet trajectory" OMG, RECOIL IN A SHOOTER. Now I have seen it all.
  3. Did he notice that one game is a 3rd person shooter and the other one a FPS?

Both games look great, why can't we just agree? Makes me sad.

i think the person in the video wanted to show both games cut scene crash landing in a similar way, and regarding the bullet trajectory, the gears one was just hitting same spot. it was a difference that was pointed out.

both games look great theres no qualms from me regarding that.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

killzone 2 beats gears in everyway except for.... gore... which is really nice

"u hear that? that sir is the sound of the bar being raised"

Skeeuk said:
DirtyP2002 said:

that video had some great laughs.

1. Let's compare rendered graphics oO Isn't that stupid? And if you want to compare rendered graphicsd, there is nothing better than the rendered sequences in Fable2. Maybe Halo Wars can jump in. The CGI stuff was awesome.
  2. I got this from the youtube-comments: "Killzone2 has a dynamic recoil system, each shot effects the magnum's bullet trajectory" OMG, RECOIL IN A SHOOTER. Now I have seen it all.
  3. Did he notice that one game is a 3rd person shooter and the other one a FPS?

Both games look great, why can't we just agree? Makes me sad.

i think the person in the video wanted to show both games cut scene crash landing in a similar way, and regarding the bullet trajectory, the gears one was just hitting same spot. it was a difference that was pointed out.

both games look great theres no qualms from me regarding that.

@recoil

This is stupid anyway. CounterStrike on the Xbox had recoil, this has nothing to with a technical advantage or something like that. It is just a feature. This is like saying: look I can make crazy jumps in gears of war2. this game is superior.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

gears of war,win

Both games are good. KZ2 looks better. Simple as that.

KillZone 2's crash scene is better than Gears of War 2's. For the reason that when something "crashes" it's not a smooth, gentle ride. Another point that needs to be pointed out. The crashes in both games are in-engine uncontrollable moments.

Graphics wise I really don't think that trailer can be a good resource for building any kind of judgement. The trailer can only be used to show the "technical" side of the games. Which is lost on some of you people hear. I'm sure that once Killzone 2 is released we will see a better comparsion between the games on either this site or like joystiq.

Also people. The 1st person vs. 3rd person arguement is completely pointless to make. Killzone 2 is a 1st person shooter. True. Gears of War 2 is a 3rd person shooter. Also true. That is a small difference. They are both shooters. You shoot things and people. No one was saying that Killzone 2 was superior to Gears of War 2 because of the recoil feature. So please don't make ignorant statements in hopes of trying to make yourself seem smarter.

The recoil feature has been used in many games. It's just with this trailer it was comparing these 2 games on a techical note. You're right that recoil is in Counterstrike. Why is it not in Gears of War 2? In Killzone 2 the weapons have weight to them. They all feel different. (going off of reviews, not 1st hand experience. I've only played the beta and demo for Killzone 2. So I can't say that I've played with every weapon in the game to see how they all handle)

People need to just look at the trailer and be impressed with how far gaming has come in the last 30 years. Going from Pong to these 2 games. It's amazing.

Tridrakious said:

KillZone 2's crash scene is better than Gears of War 2's. For the reason that when something "crashes" it's not a smooth, gentle ride. Another point that needs to be pointed out. The crashes in both games are in-engine uncontrollable moments.

Graphics wise I really don't think that trailer can be a good resource for building any kind of judgement. The trailer can only be used to show the "technical" side of the games. Which is lost on some of you people hear. I'm sure that once Killzone 2 is released we will see a better comparsion between the games on either this site or like joystiq.

Also people. The 1st person vs. 3rd person arguement is completely pointless to make. Killzone 2 is a 1st person shooter. True. Gears of War 2 is a 3rd person shooter. Also true. That is a small difference. They are both shooters. You shoot things and people. No one was saying that Killzone 2 was superior to Gears of War 2 because of the recoil feature. So please don't make ignorant statements in hopes of trying to make yourself seem smarter.

The recoil feature has been used in many games. It's just with this trailer it was comparing these 2 games on a techical note. You're right that recoil is in Counterstrike. Why is it not in Gears of War 2? In Killzone 2 the weapons have weight to them. They all feel different. (going off of reviews, not 1st hand experience. I've only played the beta and demo for Killzone 2. So I can't say that I've played with every weapon in the game to see how they all handle)

People need to just look at the trailer and be impressed with how far gaming has come in the last 30 years. Going from Pong to these 2 games. It's amazing.

recoil is not a technical side of a game.

Gears of war 2 has a small recoil, because it is more like an arcade-game while Killzone2 is more like a war-sim. This video was about graphics (mainly) and technical aspects. So why is he bringing up recoil at all? Don't you think the Xbox360 would be able to handle this?

this is like a comparison between Burnout Paradise and Race Pro. Both are racers, but both are totally different with different features. But you shouldn't blame Race Pro for not having something like a boost-option. Having a boost option does not make Burnout a better game. Or the other way around, not having a boost option doesn't make Race Pro a better game, because it is more realistic. They are just different. Same with Killzone2 and Gears of War2 with recoil.

And for the "in-engine uncontrollable moments" as you named it, the camera for the Killzone2 crash was on the platform (First person) So the camera was shaking and you felt more involved. The camera for the crash in Gears was not on the flying-stuff (Third person) So you didn't feel as involved as in Killzone2. Again, the one thing doesnt make the other superior. Just two different perspectives.

I am not doubting that Killzone2 looks great, but these arguements are just stupid when you are talking about the graphics or technical stuff. The explosion comparison was okay for me. So was the character comparison. He could have said something about textures though.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Visually, if you want to say KZ2 looks better than GearsOW2...I'll say sure whatever...in looking at the video, I saw nothing to make me say...I gotta have a ps3, which is what the intent is...it's not for people who already HAVE the system. The major comparison ,will be first week's sales data...that's where the REAL comparison is, since...which one will be the superior product...my money is on Gears of War 2 over Killzone 2! In fact, I wouldn't be surprise to see Gears of War 2 take out booth Killzone 2 and Resistance 2...in that math, PS3(2+2) = 360(2)!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder