By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Motion Plus- Wii's second coming? Third parties awakening??

@Gamerace: It'll help in any game that requires subtle hand movements. Could do wonders for immersion, especially in an Indigo Prophecy-style game.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

"Sony and M$ both applauded Nintendo with an heir of dismissiveness (they've still tried such tactics but it looks sort of ridiculous when the company they're dismissing is is destroying them in sales yr in and yr out)"

Hasn't Microsoft recently at least admitted that Nintendo has this generation, but now they are competing for second (actually they said they would outsell the PS3 but that's besides the point!).

I remember in Sony's recent PR statement, they kind of admitted it that they can't really beat the Wii (well actually I remember that Hirai actually said that he still considers Sony the leadership of the industry basically saying Nintendo is in a different area, and the 360 won't last long), but as I just stated in the bracket he just dismissed the Wii. Maybe from the above paragraph, that's what MS was doing as well.

Anyways, as for on topic, I totally agree. Many people really couldn't see this coming. On a forum I used to go to, one guy said, before the the release of the PS3 and Wii (the 360 was already released because it came out a year earlier), that he expects it to be a battle of the 360 and PS3 as the Wii is just trailing behind. He's reason was that he saw Nintendo just being like Sega just going downhill, and I'm sure this was the general opinion of many people and third parties before this gen began. They also thought that this was just a fad (actually sadly enough some ignorant people still do) and wanted to see if it would blow over, and it seems it hasn't blown over in the least and just keeps doing better.

HVS right now seems to be supporting the Wii 100% (although I recall their reason being they just wanted more hardcore games that weren't just coming from Nintendo on the system they all love). Anyways, almost guaranteed, if The Conduit does sell well, maybe more third parties will start supporting because it has been said that good "hardcore" non-Nintendo titles do poorly on the Wii.

Anyways, to sum up, I pretty much agree with you.

3rd party isn't going to support it a lot with quality games until they are convinced it could sell on the Wii.

Thanks, Omega.

YesWiiCan: Gamerace actually tackled that idea with half assed efforts reaping half assed rewards.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I think a lot of third parties will be in very serious trouble due to the frozen credit markets. Most third parties have fairly poor balance sheets to start with and no bank will be lending them 20 million for their next HD shooter. They will have to seriously reduce the number of projects they work on. 2 to 3 years from now we will really see the effect of the current economic conditions. Nintendo will probably be the only company that will expand their development efforts over the next two years.

Around the Network

Whichever developers (3rd party) haven't showered the Wii with support at this point probably won't in the future either. Its been well over two years and throughout these two years everyone's been saying how developers will wake up and start shifting massive resources to the Wii. (There are threads and news speaking of major shifts, but it remains talk most of the time and by and large there isn't much difference between now and, say, a year ago).
This gen is very different in that it shows that having the largest install base doesn't automatically equal selling the most games (unless published by Ninty itself, in which case it'll likely set some world record or other).
Developers will remain quite divided throughout the entire gen I think, I don't think anyone is going to suddenly start shifting all their attention to other platform (s) mid gen (not saying we're mid gen but people have had plenty of time to see how well Nintendo are doing both with the DS and the Wii).

But Mummel..nintendo is the market leader and is selling the most software...nothings changed in that regard.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Mummelmann said:
Whichever developers (3rd party) haven't showered the Wii with support at this point probably won't in the future either. Its been well over two years and throughout these two years everyone's been saying how developers will wake up and start shifting massive resources to the Wii. (There are threads and news speaking of major shifts, but it remains talk most of the time and by and large there isn't much difference between now and, say, a year ago).
This gen is very different in that it shows that having the largest install base doesn't automatically equal selling the most games (unless published by Ninty itself, in which case it'll likely set some world record or other).
Developers will remain quite divided throughout the entire gen I think, I don't think anyone is going to suddenly start shifting all their attention to other platform (s) mid gen (not saying we're mid gen but people have had plenty of time to see how well Nintendo are doing both with the DS and the Wii).

How about EA shifting 50% of their workforce to Wii despite four other viable gaming platforms on the market?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

They sell heaps of their own software but many titles have sold quite poorly, especially the typical "core" titles as people like to put it.
And while the PS360 combo get to share series like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Need for Speed and so forth there isn't much to suggest that developers will release games from the main series on the Wii, and this probably has to do with both the rather lukewarm sales of many 3rd party titles and the massive difference in programming/hardware.
In total, the Wii moves a lot more software than any other but it seems more adept at moving certain types of software and less adept at other types (many of which are your typical 3rd party effort).
Most things I hear announced are either spin-off's or widely different versions (talking about 3rd party titles from PS360 to Wii, of course).
The Blue Ocaen strategy works like a charm, that much has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt but it seems to have come with a catch in this case.
This is neither directly good nor bad for any of the three consoles, it simply bodes for a very different gen this time around!

@the kitchensink

Welll, in 07 they had same amount of games on Wii as on 360 & said they would support Wii more the next year. In 08 they actually had less games on Wii than 360 so i don't recommend believing everything EA says.
Also, are u sure they said 50% workforce on Wii or 50% games on Wii. Cause 50% workforce would definitely mean a lot more games on Wii than 360.