By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Motion Plus- Wii's second coming? Third parties awakening??

Mummelmann said:
They sell heaps of their own software but many titles have sold quite poorly, especially the typical "core" titles as people like to put it.
And while the PS360 combo get to share series like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Need for Speed and so forth there isn't much to suggest that developers will release games from the main series on the Wii, and this probably has to do with both the rather lukewarm sales of many 3rd party titles and the massive difference in programming/hardware.
In total, the Wii moves a lot more software than any other but it seems more adept at moving certain types of software and less adept at other types (many of which are your typical 3rd party effort).
Most things I hear announced are either spin-off's or widely different versions (talking about 3rd party titles from PS360 to Wii, of course).
The Blue Ocaen strategy works like a charm, that much has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt but it seems to have come with a catch in this case.
This is neither directly good nor bad for any of the three consoles, it simply bodes for a very different gen this time around!

Well but this can also be said about the 360 and PS3 that software sales come mainly from big blockbusters, and proved genres. This was always the case that some games sold better then other on the systems. Looking at the data "big" Wii 3rd party games are successful, and many smaller ones also have generated great sales, 3rd party support is steadily increasing from 2006 and its far better then N64 or GC and it will only get better because of Wii's position in the market.

On topic, i think Release of M+ will have dual effect, there will be loads of shitty games that are cheap cash ins on new control scheme (Just like after Wii release) but i think there will be a plethora of studios that will want to work with something as exiting as M+ to deliver new gaming experience. So im overall pretty positive about Wii's future.

Around the Network
arsenal009 said:
@the kitchensink

Welll, in 07 they had same amount of games on Wii as on 360 & said they would support Wii more the next year. In 08 they actually had less games on Wii than 360 so i don't recommend believing everything EA says.
Also, are u sure they said 50% workforce on Wii or 50% games on Wii. Cause 50% workforce would definitely mean a lot more games on Wii than 360.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/02/04/ea-goes-where-the-money-is-dead-space-coming-to-wii/

"The Wii is now going to get 50 percent of EA’s emphasis and focus, with the PS3, Xbox 360, and online sectors having to share the other 50 percent between them."

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Lolcislaw said:
Mummelmann said:
They sell heaps of their own software but many titles have sold quite poorly, especially the typical "core" titles as people like to put it.
And while the PS360 combo get to share series like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Need for Speed and so forth there isn't much to suggest that developers will release games from the main series on the Wii, and this probably has to do with both the rather lukewarm sales of many 3rd party titles and the massive difference in programming/hardware.
In total, the Wii moves a lot more software than any other but it seems more adept at moving certain types of software and less adept at other types (many of which are your typical 3rd party effort).
Most things I hear announced are either spin-off's or widely different versions (talking about 3rd party titles from PS360 to Wii, of course).
The Blue Ocaen strategy works like a charm, that much has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt but it seems to have come with a catch in this case.
This is neither directly good nor bad for any of the three consoles, it simply bodes for a very different gen this time around!

Well but this can also be said about the 360 and PS3 that software sales come mainly from big blockbusters, and proved genres. This was always the case that some games sold better then other on the systems. Looking at the data "big" Wii 3rd party games are successful, and many smaller ones also have generated great sales, 3rd party support is steadily increasing from 2006 and its far better then N64 or GC and it will only get better because of Wii's position in the market.

On topic, i think Release of M+ will have dual effect, there will be loads of shitty games that are cheap cash ins on new control scheme (Just like after Wii release) but i think there will be a plethora of studios that will want to work with something as exiting as M+ to deliver new gaming experience. So im overall pretty positive about Wii's future.

Of course it applies to other consoles as well. And the same goes for support; anyone not intent upon supporting one platform by now probably won' this gen (like Valve with the PS3 for instance). 3rd party support on the Wii is certainly more present than it was with the GC or N64, which is no wonder seeing how the thing sells, the main issue most people have is rather the quality of the 3rd party support and not so much the number of titles (or percentage of employees assigned one platform).

All this remains to be seen, of course, which I'm sure all of us realize. If the big 3rd party titles (like the ones mentioned earlier) are still absent by this year's end, there aren't many ways of interpreting the position the developers in question have taken.

My biggest hope for this year is more support for the PC from Indie developers or small timers and also more diversity from the big ones (Valve, Epic, Activision/Blizzard, EA, Ubi etc). I also hope I can scrape up enough cash to get all the consoles and games I want this year...

Mummelmann said:
Lolcislaw said:
Mummelmann said:

Of course it applies to other consoles as well. And the same goes for support; anyone not intent upon supporting one platform by now probably won' this gen (like Valve with the PS3 for instance). 3rd party support on the Wii is certainly more present than it was with the GC or N64, which is no wonder seeing how the thing sells, the main issue most people have is rather the quality of the 3rd party support and not so much the number of titles (or percentage of employees assigned one platform).

All this remains to be seen, of course, which I'm sure all of us realize. If the big 3rd party titles (like the ones mentioned earlier) are still absent by this year's end, there aren't many ways of interpreting the position the developers in question have taken.

My biggest hope for this year is more support for the PC from Indie developers or small timers and also more diversity from the big ones (Valve, Epic, Activision/Blizzard, EA, Ubi etc). I also hope I can scrape up enough cash to get all the consoles and games I want this year...

We're already seeing massive improvements in this area.  Do I need to bust out Soriku's list yet again?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
arsenal009 said:
@the kitchensink

Welll, in 07 they had same amount of games on Wii as on 360 & said they would support Wii more the next year. In 08 they actually had less games on Wii than 360 so i don't recommend believing everything EA says.
Also, are u sure they said 50% workforce on Wii or 50% games on Wii. Cause 50% workforce would definitely mean a lot more games on Wii than 360.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/02/04/ea-goes-where-the-money-is-dead-space-coming-to-wii/

"The Wii is now going to get 50 percent of EA’s emphasis and focus, with the PS3, Xbox 360, and online sectors having to share the other 50 percent between them."

"emphasis and focus"

That could mean anything.  If it means 50% workforce, that would be great, but i have to take that statement w a grain of salt.

Around the Network

There will be an increase in third party support for Wii in the next few years due to the fact that the 360, DS, PSP and to a lesser extent, PS3 will all begin to slow down (If they haven't stated to already). Even Sony seems to be pushing the PSP more than the PS3 atm.

There will be a large amount of support for WM+ however they would also be limiting the potential consumer base if they only supported the peripheral and not just the standard Wii Remote.

I think we'll definately see an increase but it won't be because of the WM+

arsenal009 said:
thekitchensink said:
arsenal009 said:
@the kitchensink

"emphasis and focus"

That could mean anything.  If it means 50% workforce, that would be great, but i have to take that statement w a grain of salt.

The specific wording is "half our emphasis in terms of title count".  Third parties being what they are, I'm inclined to read that cynically, and take it to mean that the Wii's half of the title count will consist of shovelware crapped out to make a quick buck, which will be used to fund the PS360's half of the title count, which will consist of the A-team, high budget games.  In other words, they won't do anything differently, but they will try and spin the situation for their shareholders.  Mind you, I'd love to be proven wrong, but the majority of third parties, EA included, don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Wii development.  Now, on the other hand, if they said that the Wii was getting half their emphasis in terms of total available budget, I'd be inclined to read their intentions a little more charitably.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

@kenny

"In terms of title count", that's what i thought. So basically they're going back to 2007 since it was the same in terms of title count then. So basically the HD consoles will still get higher budgets and more workforce.

EA ftl

Soriku said:
Shovelware don't need emphasis and focus. Core games do. And with titles like Dead Space we should expect more core games. When the game was announced they said they were going to bring more core games to the Wii.

Did u read what kenny wrote, "The specific wording is 'half our emphasis in terms of title count'."  So yeah, they can still be making shovelware.

RolStoppable said:
Soriku said:
They'll make shovelware for all systems. But they'll make core games as they've said too.

There are more reasons to believe that the Wii will get the scraps than there are reasons that third parties are honest when it comes to Wii support.

Sarcasm aside, Dragon Quest X disagrees.

Remember when everyone thought the DS was doomed, then SE began putting out games for it? The Wii's going to have such an explosion of Japanese support in 2-3 years (or however long it takes to make a DQ on average) it's not even going to be funny.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*