By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBOX 360 Fans: Answer this truthfully

NOTE: I don't want to start a console war thread. I aim to gain opinions in order to see if my thoughts are justified. I want people to answer this honestly, calmly and respectfully.

Anyways, I am a big Wii fan. I enjoy a lot of games and without a shadow of a doubt  it is my main console this generation. But one thing that really bugs me a bit is how third parties seem to try and outdo Nintendo at their own games and try to make Wii Sports clones and Party games, because these saw success on the system.

I also own a 360 and I really like it, despite technical issues. I love the features, the XBL Marketplace and many of its games. But my pet peeve is that just as the Wii is flooded by would be Wii Sports follow ups the 360 library has mainly HD titles that try to market to the same fans that loved Halo and Gears of Wars, labeling the console as the "FPS HD Machine".

My question to you is; Does ANYONE feel annoyed by this?

The 360, as well as the PS3, are technological behemoths. Developers could easily create worlds, ideas and concepts that could only be made on these machines. Yet, they seem to be stuck trying to be the next Halo, and follow the same old archetypes, creating drab worlds, ideas and concepts.

I would love to see more variety on these consoles. I am well aware that MS is trying to widen the selection with games like Viva Pinata, Scene It, Banjo and many arcade games. But third parties have yet to tear away from this.

So does anyone feel the same way? Does anyone wish that game concepts would be more varied?

Again, don't want to start flame wars/

Around the Network

Yeah, very much so. I like Gears and the like as much as anybody, but there are just too many "me too" rated M games on the 360.

Also, just because I play an HD system doesn't mean I don't like color in my games.

FPS are popular and sell very well.
Of course many developer aren't going to take the risk of developing a game with groundbreaking new concepts, because they know it has a much higher chance to fail.

And no I'm definitely not annoyed by this. Bring on CoD Modern Warfare 2, Killzone 2 and Halo 3 ODST !!!!! :)

No, and I also feel that the 360 is geared towards those games.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

I don't need any platformers/casual games so I won't mind.

Around the Network

Gamers are partly to blame for this. Many have grown up with gaming, but now feel that the types of diverse games they enjoyed before are part of their past and something that kids should play. How many games have people turned away on just because of its 'look'? Sales numbers tell the story.

I'm tired of a lack of quality games that don't require me to close the blinds when I play them. Developers and publishers are definitely to blame as well, as they are the ones that present and greenlight all of these 'meeee tooooo' projects.

There is room for more diversity on the system, but we as gamers need to support it with our wallets and devs/pubs need to offer such diversity in quality packages.

pap64 said:

I also own a 360 and I really like it, despite technical issues. I love the features, the XBL Marketplace and many of its games. But my pet peeve is that just as the Wii is flooded by would be Wii Sports follow ups the 360 library has mainly HD titles that try to market to the same fans that loved Halo and Gears of Wars, labeling the console as the "FPS HD Machine".

I'm a Wii/360 owner myself.  I simply play the games that appeal to me on both platforms.  I opted for rock band on the 360 even though it's available on the Wii, and other games like Ninja Gaiden 2 appeal to me also.  Although the vast majority of my games are Wii games -- I just feel like Nintendo's first party games are the most fun.

Also, it's worth noting that calling the 360 an HD shooter console is really a misnomer as it seems most of the 360's shooters like Halo 3 and CoD 4 aren't HD.

TheBigFatJ said:
pap64 said:

I'm a Wii/360 owner myself.  I simply play the games that appeal to me on both platforms.  I opted for rock band on the 360 even though it's available on the Wii, and other games like Ninja Gaiden 2 appeal to me also.  Although the vast majority of my games are Wii games -- I just feel like Nintendo's first party games are the most fun.

Also, it's worth noting that calling the 360 an HD shooter console is really a misnomer as it seems most of the 360's shooters like Halo 3 and CoD 4 aren't HD.

I know that the 360 is more than just an HD shooter console. What I mean is that this is the label gamers and consumers have given the console, much like some people have dubbed the Wii "the casual console" and the Playstation 3 "the cheapest Blu-Ray player".

There are too many great 360 games outside of the fps genre to make me worry about it.

We have good amounts of western and Japanese RPG's, an increasing amount of casual games, indie games in the market place etc.

Its not a problem at all.

The 360's userbase isn't very large nor are its sales exactly stellar. If this wasn't the case, then third-party devs could take more risks with other genres and new titles because there would always be people who'd pick them up. Take the PS2, for example. It sold extremely well and always had a large userbase, so no matter what game was released, there was always a very good chance that it would sell very well.

That isn't the case with the 360. Again, it doesn't have that large user base or the high volume of sales, and to top it off, most 360 owners are core and hardcore gamers. You throw in rising development costs, and third-party developers are going to stick with their tried-and-true titles because that's the only way that they can guarantee a profit. Non-traditional games simply wouldn't appeal to the 360's user base.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3