By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PSM Editor in Chief being Canned (

Well ,I have been maybe a bit absolutist ,but after my poing of view what a magazine as PSM must do is hand the hack and slash review to someone who really likes hack and slash games ,the shot them up to the guy that likes them ,the RPG to the guy who loves them and the same with all the genres .That should be done in all magazines ,but I understand some multiformat magazines that have assigned the reviews of each plattform to 2-3 guys cant avoid it .

The mag as a Playstation magazine cant be the one that spreads doubts about the games and gives them the lower scores .Thats contraproducent for the mag .They should do reviews that mirror the average opinion about a game ,hand the game review to someone of really likes the genre ,focus on the positive things etc .

We cant say for just one game but for example Heavenly Sword has scored 4.5 from Gamepro ,6 from Edge ,8.9 by Playstation Magazine (Germany ) ,7 from IGn ....PSM giving a 8 is about allright .Around the average note .But them giving a 5 to Lair and a 6.5 to Warhawk when reviews elsewhere have been much better (at least Warhawk ,and Lair will get some good ones as well as mediocre ones ) is putting themselves as the worst critics for the games .

I mean ,and just to have an example .A Xbox mag that reviews Blue Dragon should han the review to someone that likes and appreciates japanese RPG .And ,the scores for Blue Dragon ranging from the 5 (Eurogamer ) 6 (Edge ) ,7.8(IGN ) to 9 (CVG ) then the Xbox mag place in this is giving the game no less than a 8 .But if they go and give it a 4.5 they are doing a disservice to the game ,to the plattform,to the users ,and to themselves .

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
The current editor reviewed both games from what I understand.

He actually responded though I can't remember where I read the article.  He "signed off" on the reviews but staffers are the ones that played and reviewed the games.  Regardless, what a sad state of affairs gaming has become when someone can't give their opinion on a title (Wii, PS3, 360, or whatever) without cries of foul from someone.  Bioshock got theirs from Edge and people were upset (me being one of the because I totally disagree), Several Wii games have been hammered as well as some poor reviews of upcoming PS3 titles.  It's really getting old at this point as the video game industry seems to be headed down a highly politically charged road and if it does, it will most certain be to the detriment of the true gaming enthusiast...  

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I have been reading this magazine since its early days.Always enjoyed their honest opinions on the Playstation and the games.This is not the first time the magazine has given bad ratings to a very hyped up game.I'm pissed at whiney delusional fanboys calling this mag biased.

I don't give a damn if the new editor use to be at a Xbox magazine.The dude now works at PSM.Do people honestly think this guy can walk in there to a group of guys that have been working there 5 plus years and say "Hey,from now on we bash the PS3,give low ratings to hyped up games,then praise the 360.

LOL never would happen.Lair sucks,get over it.This game has been in my top 5 most anticipated.PSM and other reviewers saved me $60.I'm a SONY fanboy,but I am not a delusional one.The only biased people I know are the fanboys all of a sudden bashing these reviewers.pathetic.Save yourselves the money for the great games coming.

kn said:
ckmlb said:
The current editor reviewed both games from what I understand.

He actually responded though I can't remember where I read the article. He "signed off" on the reviews but staffers are the ones that played and reviewed the games. Regardless, what a sad state of affairs gaming has become when someone can't give their opinion on a title (Wii, PS3, 360, or whatever) without cries of foul from someone. Bioshock got theirs from Edge and people were upset (me being one of the because I totally disagree), Several Wii games have been hammered as well as some poor reviews of upcoming PS3 titles. It's really getting old at this point as the video game industry seems to be headed down a highly politically charged road and if it does, it will most certain be to the detriment of the true gaming enthusiast...

I very much agree.  That's why I find gabe and tycho from Penny Arcade so useful.  I really respect their opinions and I know they are completely unbiased.  It's hard to trust any one reviewer these days given the increasing political nature of it all.

So PSM gave Lair a 5 and Warhawk a 6.5, and the editor got fired.

Official Playstation Magazine UK just gave Lair a 6 and Heavenly Sword a 7 (Stranglehold, DiRT and NCAA Football got 8s). Does another Playstation magazine editor get the axe?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick