By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and Sakurai team up for new project, plan to focus on core titles

Nintendo and Sakurai team up for new project/dev company, plan to focus on core titles

February 18th, 2009

Well, here’s some big news that came out of nowhere. Nintendo has announced that Masahiro Sakurai has started a new project. Yeah, you know the guy…he’s the one that started that little series called Smash Bros.. What’s the new title that Sakurai is working on? You know Nintendo isn’t going to tell us that one. We’ll have to hang tight and speculate endlessly until Nintendo decides to trickle-feed us info.

UPDATE - Looks like this is all part of a new company that works under Nintendo, Project Sora. You can check out the official page here.

You can also check out the ‘Iwata Asks’ interview here (Japanese)

Nintendo PR here

Around the Network

OOOOOOHH I smell a new IP in the works.Here comes a new franchise that will last years.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Oh wow. Sakurai made both Kirby and Smash Bros., so this will probably be very interesting.

Awesome, Sakurai rocks my socks

Well I am definately looking forward to this! I'm sure a lot of people will be!

Around the Network

OMG

i cant wait to see what it might be

this guy makes such awesome games :D

anyone read japanese i wanna know what the link says :/

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

^lol same here

Well, we know it's not a new Smash Bros.

Iwata:“It’s not Smash Bros. I asked for. …I can promise an experience that’s different from anything [you’ve played] up until now.”

OMFG PR0j3ct SORA OMG KINGDOM HARTZ!!!111!!! =DDDddd

Ahem.. So Sakurai is actually working for this new company under Nintendo? He didn't used to be directly working under Nintendo if I recall correctly.

wfz said:
OMFG PR0j3ct SORA OMG KINGDOM HARTZ!!!111!!! =DDDddd

Ahem.. So Sakurai is actually working for this new company under Nintendo? He didn't used to be directly working under Nintendo if I recall correctly.

Well, he worked for HAL Laboratories before, who are a second pary to Nintendo, so yeah, it's the same thing as before, pretty much.