By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Overrated?

1. No.

2. Don't give IGN any hits, I long for the day when they might finally fold and do us all a favor.

3. (@ OkeyDokey) Wrong; one does not need nostalgia in order to appreciate and enjoy the game. The difference is that between a game that uses its technological advances as a gimmick to hide what is overall an uninspired product, which then does not age well, and a game that, while opening up new areas technologically, does not use these as a gimmick but instead exhibits a near perfection of form within these new possibilities. In fact, anyone interesting in gaming should play this game, even all these years later, just to see many of the elements that currently form the language of 3D gaming in their purest form, when they were first conceived and not yet buried under successive layers of complication. It's analogous to the fact that anyone wishing to understand cinema should watch a few noteworthy early silent films. The good ones have aged well, even though they may require one to suspend some initial prejudices against the old format, while the bad ones were based on mere gimmick, and have aged terribly; it isn't difficult in most cases to discern the difference.

Around the Network

No fucking way!!

Yes.

It is hailed as the best Zelda of all time. Yet it is objectively inferior to Link to the Past and Majora's Mask. So there.

*sticking tongue out*

When I bought it when it came out - mesmorising game. Loved every bit of it. Was so much "wow" to me. But i thought that of Links awakening on the old black and white gameboy so its not just the graphics ;)

noname2200 said:
Yes.

It is hailed as the best Zelda of all time. Yet it is objectively inferior to Link to the Past and Majora's Mask. So there.

*sticking tongue out*

I agree that Majora's Mask is actually better overall, but I see that as the result of MM being underrated, not OoT being overrated.

Around the Network
warioswoods said:
noname2200 said:
Yes.

*sticking tongue out*

I agree that Majora's Mask is actually better overall, but I see that as the result of MM being underrated, not OoT being overrated.

Ah, but if it's being hailed as better than a superior game, that makes it overrated by definition! Although Majora's IS criminally underrated...

noname2200 said:
warioswoods said:
noname2200 said:
Yes.

*sticking tongue out*

Ah, but if it's being hailed as better than a superior game, that makes it overrated by definition! Although Majora's IS criminally underrated...

Not to belabor a minor point, but I'm looking at the specific evaluation of each game, and you are looking at the relative evaluation. I mean to say this:  none of the adoration for OoT is misplaced or overblown, but ideally that kind of adoration and indeed more should be felt for MM. I'm not talking about the relative evaluations on lists of top games of all time, etc.

Nope.

Second best Zelda ever created behind only Link to the Past.

When i replayed the game last week it still sent shivers of awesomeness down my spine.

Conclusion: no.

noname2200 said:
Yes.

*sticking tongue out*

OoT was more 'new' to gaming than MM was.

(I prefer MM to OoT, but.. Credit where credit is due)