By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter IV Hits 86,000 Sold On Japanese Launch Day

darthdevidem01 said:
@smokedhostage

but come on SF is a big brand

WAS a big brand. As you can see, it has been all down hill since Street Fighter II. Every game after than sold less, and the last million seller was Street Fighter Alpha 3. (source: http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/data/million.html as a note, these are all single platform sales)

1992/6 Street Fighter II SFC 6,300
1993/7 Street Fighter II Turbo SFC 4,100
1994/6 Super Street Fighter II SFC 2,000
1993/9 Street Fighter II' Plus MD 1,650
1998/12 Street Fighter Alpha 3 PS 1,000

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

@nordlead

I guess so...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

samus aran rules said:
SmokedHostage said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@smokedhostage

I guess they do....

absolutely awful opening for SFIV

Tatsunoku vs. Capcom was much worse..

Yes that´s true, but in the light of this, sales for T vs C maybe was not that horrible after all?

I mean SF is a much bigger series  and if SF4 won´t hit it really big then that just proves that 2d fighting (sadly) doesn´t sell much anymore (in Japan at least). The arcade gaming could have something to do with it also.

Is SF4 a 2d fighter?  It is in the 2d plain but has 3d graphics.  Brawl is the same way and it sold fantastic in Japan.  I think most fighting fans in Japan just think Brawl is better than everything else by a large margin - at least that's what sales suggest.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Soriku said:
SmokedHostage said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@smokedhostage

I guess they do....

But it still sold 25k. Only 3k away from SF4 360 and almost half of the PS3 version, Heck, this makes TvC sales look good O_o

I was thinking the same thing. Everybody kept on going how horrible Tatsunoku vs. Capcom´s sales were (I was very sad about them as well), but in the light of SF4 sales (only first day, but still) I think T vs. C sales maybe weren´t that horrible after all.

2D fighters in general are a dead genre, just like 2D platformers (on consoles, as a few still survive on the DS) and plenty of other dead genres.

It isn't that the games suck, just the majority of games have moved on. Brawl is the current exception for 2D fighters, but it could be argued that it isn't a 2D fighter, and that it is really a "brawler" since there are no complex moves, no health bars, and it is 4 player mayhem with items.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

Around the Network
FreeTalkLive said:
samus aran rules said:
SmokedHostage said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@smokedhostage

I guess they do....

Yes that´s true, but in the light of this, sales for T vs C maybe was not that horrible after all?

I mean SF is a much bigger series  and if SF4 won´t hit it really big then that just proves that 2d fighting (sadly) doesn´t sell much anymore (in Japan at least). The arcade gaming could have something to do with it also.

Is SF4 a 2d fighter?  It is in the 2d plain but has 3d graphics.  Brawl is the same way and it sold fantastic in Japan.  I think most fighting fans in Japan just think Brawl is better than everything else by a large margin - at least that's what sales suggest.

Oh, I was under the impression that it was a 2d fighter.  I heard it´s classified as 2,5 d but that it really plays like a 2d game. Oh well you could be right.

I am surprised that everyone is disappointed. Arcade based fighters haven't sold exceptionally well in Japan in quite sometime. In the West, SFIV will sell much better. Arcades are damn near extinct on this side of the Pacific.

samus aran rules said:
FreeTalkLive said:

Oh, I was under the impression that it was a 2d fighter.  I heard it´s classified as 2,5 d but that it really plays like a 2d game. Oh well you could be right.

it is a 2D fighter. 3D graphics don't change the gameplay.

nordlead said:
samus aran rules said:
FreeTalkLive said:

it is a 2D fighter. 3D graphics don't change the gameplay.

Yes, that´s what I thought as well.

Soriku said:
So...how much MIGHT the PS3 outsell the Wii by this week?

It can´t be by that much can it? I mean these sales do not seem to be "systemseller" numbers. I think it will be pretty close between the two. Maybe PS3 wins by a few thousand?