By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Top 20 + Top 10 by Platform

Publishers don't get paid by having games with high attach rates. They get paid by having games which sell a lot.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

The American market is entirely Wii + 360 + DS (I suspect a lot of DS titles are in NPD's 21-30 rankings). Sony's platforms are barely even a blip on the radar screen. They are really in bad shape here; I'd probably just write off this market for the rest of the generation and focus on Europe and Japan, where things are a lot more positive.

It's still hard to believe that PS3 is hovering around 15-20% market share in America this generation. Just not having much luck selling.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Tyrannical said:
Aiemond said:
So CoD WaW: Wii is selling more than all but one of the ps3 titles? I thought it was a colossal failure according to ps3 fans. So what does this mean for the rest of the ps3 software?

Using America numbers....

Cod:WAW PS3 1.53 M / 7.75M consoles = ~20% attach rate

CoD:WaW 360 3.35M / 16.22M consoles = ~21% attach rate

CoD:WaW Wii 0.63M / 20.99M consoles = ~ 3% attach rate

lol!  You can't find a credible reason to denounce the performance of CoD:WaW Wii - so you pull out attach rate data. 

That's a sad move, Tyrannical!  You're getting desperate.

1 PS3 game in the top 30. :D The PS3 is doooooomed... well... at least in NA. but wait untill.... K2!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Sullla said:
The American market is entirely Wii + 360 + DS (I suspect a lot of DS titles are in NPD's 21-30 rankings). Sony's platforms are barely even a blip on the radar screen. They are really in bad shape here; I'd probably just write off this market for the rest of the generation and focus on Europe and Japan, where things are a lot more positive.

It's still hard to believe that PS3 is hovering around 15-20% market share in America this generation. Just not having much luck selling.

Most likely due to the fact that PS3 sales are being inflated due to owners using the device as a blu-ray player primarily, and a games player afterwards. Last NPD update I saw, put Sony at around a 5.0-5.5 attach ratio for software. That's abysmal for a device going on it's 3rd year. Software sales are showing it to be the case, as the PS3 is starting to look like the PSP: a functions-first device with gaming capabilities.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Sullla said:

Most likely due to the fact that PS3 sales are being inflated due to owners using the device as a blu-ray player primarily, and a games player afterwards. Last NPD update I saw, put Sony at around a 5.0-5.5 attach ratio for software. That's abysmal for a device going on it's 3rd year. Software sales are showing it to be the case, as the PS3 is starting to look like the PSP: a functions-first device with gaming capabilities.

The problem is not just attatch rate. As systems sell more units attatch rates go naturally down. The problem is that it is low when the install base is so low.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Aiemond said:

The problem is not just attatch rate. As systems sell more units attatch rates go naturally down. The problem is that it is low when the install base is so low.

Attatch rates should go up over time as the average length of ownership increases.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Actually, the attach rates tend to go up or flatline. They can fall, but thats not usually the case.

Per Nintendo's quarterly shipment info, the Wii attach rate has gone like so in the Americas:

Wii (Shipments) Dec-06 Mar-07 Jun-07 Sep-07 Dec-07 Mar-08 Jun-08 Sep-08 Dec-08
Ams SW LTD 9.02 14.49 23.19 33.49 60.9 79.37 98.71 122.25 169.66
Ams HW LTD 1.25 2.37 3.81 5.46 8.85 10.61 13.11 15.19 20.4
SW/HW Attach 7.22 6.11 6.09 6.13 6.88 7.48 7.53 8.05 8.32

In the first quarter, when only Nintendo die hards had the patience to track down when it was all but impossible to find, they bought alot of games. It became a bit easier after the holidays so the attach rate shrank to 6.11 in March flatlined essentially through June and then began to rise, without interruption since.

Dec 06 quarter had...Zelda, Excite Truck, Rayman, Madden, Red Steel, Call of Duty, do pretty well in the launch window as well as stuff like Trauma Center which did ok.

March 07 quarter had...Sonic, Tiger Woods, Wario Ware, Wii Play but the drop is understandable per wider audience appeal.

June 07 quarter is more of the same. Super Paper Mario and not a whole lot else

Sept 07 quarter had Metroid Prime 3, Madden not much else. Attach rate still pretty much flat.

Dec 07 quarter had Guitar Hero III, Galaxy, Mario & Sonic, and alot of complimentary stuff like Zack & Wiki and Fire Emblem so the attach rate really jumps here

March 08 quarter had Brawl and alot of complimentary stuff

June 08 quarter had Wii Fit, Mario Kart, more music games I believe and other small stuff

Sept 08 quarter had Madden, and alot of small to medium third party stuff

Dec 08 quarter had Wii Music, Animal Crossing, and useful compliments like De Blob, Guitar Hero, Rockband, Call of Duty, Warioland

In the case of Wii at least, with Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort, Mad World, The Conduit, Sky Crawlers, more music games, more sports games, more movie tie-ins, whatever else Nintendo has for the year, and the "new play control line" the attach rate in shipments should be over 10 by the end of the year, and with ~30-35m Wiis in the Americas by that point thats a lot of software. I dont think 320m in Wii sw shipped to the Americas is impossible by the end of 2008

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

mesoteto said:
wait the wi isnt supposed to move software ---;(

I don't think anyone ever said that the Wii actually couldn't move software...just that the only software it DOES move either has Wii in the name, involves Mario in it somehow, or it just a crappy 3rd party game....

And other than Guitar Hero...that pretty much does sum up the list.....

BMaker11 said:
mesoteto said:
wait the wi isnt supposed to move software ---;(

I don't think anyone ever said that the Wii actually couldn't move software...just that the only software it DOES move either has Wii in the name, involves Mario in it somehow, or it just a crappy 3rd party game....

And other than Guitar Hero...that pretty much does sum up the list.....

Actually, no that doesn't sum up the list. Not even close.