By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles are this eras PCs

vlad321 said:
dahuman said:
vlad321 said:

Nice attampt, but all of those you get by advancing through the story line. Like in adventure games, you get a key to open a new door. The combat is also disturbingly weak in Zelda for it to be called an Action RPG, for its own sake don't ever classify it as such because then it is a miserable and utter failure.

it's not an attempt, it's a fact, that's how all JRPGs work in general, just with a twist. maybe you are more acustomed to WRPGs so you can't see that.

JRPGs are not RPGs, I've been saying that forever. They are a mix between a Turn Based Strategy and an Adventure game. Zelda is heavily story drive, you have absolutely no decision in your choices of abilities/equipment. Just put on the better sword/armor when you reach that milestone in the adventure.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I also know that the idea of role playing is not the same when you are talking about western people and eastern, but the genres do exist whether you like it or not, and facts will remain facts, depending on your religion(aka beliefs) I guess, know what I mean?

Around the Network
dahuman said:
vlad321 said:
dahuman said:
vlad321 said:

Nice attampt, but all of those you get by advancing through the story line. Like in adventure games, you get a key to open a new door. The combat is also disturbingly weak in Zelda for it to be called an Action RPG, for its own sake don't ever classify it as such because then it is a miserable and utter failure.

it's not an attempt, it's a fact, that's how all JRPGs work in general, just with a twist. maybe you are more acustomed to WRPGs so you can't see that.

JRPGs are not RPGs, I've been saying that forever. They are a mix between a Turn Based Strategy and an Adventure game. Zelda is heavily story drive, you have absolutely no decision in your choices of abilities/equipment. Just put on the better sword/armor when you reach that milestone in the adventure.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I also know that the idea of role playing is not the same when you are talking about western people and eastern, but the genres do exist whether you like it or not, and facts will remain facts, depending on your religion(aka beliefs) I guess, know what I mean?

Yeah I do, but then by your definition DOOM was also an RPG. You got better equipment and power-ups, and you could also say that it has a nice story to go through and combat involved. You also need to collect items to advance through the game. Given all this how is DOOM not an RPG by your definition?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

@Words

Yes, but they want to have their awesome gear and they want to spend their time raiding because they enjoy that. I also know a bunch of people who only raid if they ever get the time for it and a few more who raid an instance once just so they can see it then they never go there again. Raiding is only at the end-level and it sounds like you don't even like that, there's a LOT bfore you reach end-level content and that content shines in and of itself. It's not like materia at all in FF. You can use and do everything you want until you hit the content you don't like, which is at the very end. I perosnally loved the game a lot more and always took my time to read quests and dialogue while getting to 80.

Okay.  I know only what I've seen from friends who play it so I'll trust your firsthand knowledge over my (little) secondhand knowledge.  I'm glad you had a lot of fun with it though I think my view of it is too jaded at this point to ever get similar enjoyment out of it were I to try it.

vlad321 said:
dahuman said:
vlad321 said:
dahuman said:
vlad321 said:

Yeah I do, but then by your definition DOOM was also an RPG. You got better equipment and power-ups, and you could also say that it has a nice story to go through and combat involved. You also need to collect items to advance through the game. Given all this how is DOOM not an RPG by your definition?

well, for one, your health is capped, so is your armor, and the game is on a fixed camera of the player's eyes without the heavy RPG elements of fallout3 so, I'd say it's more an action game than RPG, but it definitely has RPG elements in it, just not enough to be called action rpg. but if you look at my earlier post that you didn't reply to, I also mentioned that most games have adventure elements in them as well, but that doesn't always make them adventure games, you have to count in the % of the element in the game itself, zelda is definitely heavy on all 3 categories so I guess it's more Action Adventure RPG. while doom is more Action Adventure FPS.

@Words
Ill give you that every MMORPG until WoW is exactly what you described, a grindfest for just better loot and this is why WoW has been so successful, it incorporated all the quests and it gave you reasons to level up. I enjoyed getting to the level cap far more than what's at the level-cap itself. Though I almost ruined my own life last semester cause of WOTLK I came to my senses and this semester I'm back to drinking, fucking and whatever else college students do in general. I'm just letting you know that WoW is a completely different game before you reach the level-cap. It definitely fills all requirements of a traditional RPG and it's on a MASSIVE scope.

@dahuman

You're right I did miss your first post. And you are right jsut about all games with single-player have adventure in them, but some focus on it almost exclusively while others ignore it more. The point of Zelda is to get through your story first and foremost, and most of the time you play you spend it on solving puzzles and how to get from one area to the next. Yes there's combat involved, but you cal also run around many monsters and avoid them. It's also weak and most of the item upgrade that you mention just sort of happen as you go through the story. Also there are no stats at all in Zelda, except health and magic power.

As for how consoles don't have any more innovation, I fully agree with that. Right now I haven't seen a single HD big-budget game that has caught my attention formore than maybe a week.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

@Words
Ill give you that every MMORPG until WoW is exactly what you described, a grindfest for just better loot and this is why WoW has been so successful, it incorporated all the quests and it gave you reasons to level up. I enjoyed getting to the level cap far more than what's at the level-cap itself. Though I almost ruined my own life last semester cause of WOTLK I came to my senses and this semester I'm back to drinking, fucking and whatever else college students do in general. I'm just letting you know that WoW is a completely different game before you reach the level-cap. It definitely fills all requirements of a traditional RPG and it's on a MASSIVE scope.

@dahuman

You're right I did miss your first post. And you are right jsut about all games with single-player have adventure in them, but some focus on it almost exclusively while others ignore it more. The point of Zelda is to get through your story first and foremost, and most of the time you play you spend it on solving puzzles and how to get from one area to the next. Yes there's combat involved, but you cal also run around many monsters and avoid them. It's also weak and most of the item upgrade that you mention just sort of happen as you go through the story. Also there are no stats at all in Zelda, except health and magic power.

As for how consoles don't have any more innovation, I fully agree with that. Right now I haven't seen a single HD big-budget game that has caught my attention formore than maybe a week.

zelda is one of those strange games, but we all know the person who made it so it's not really a surprize lol, at least they've always made it to be good games and that's really all I need tbh, it's hard to categorize for sure in the eyes of different people.

Technically every game is a role playing game. Even in simcity you are playing the role of the mayor.

For now I'll just say a couple things about the OP:
"reaction time" I thought PC got the twitch FPSes?
"LBP" Since when are platformers PC rather than console?! (I'll read the source in a bit, maybe they'll explain this ...)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

JaggedSac said:
PC gaming isn't dying. Digital distribution sites like Big Fish will continue to increase the pc gaming userbase as has been going on in the past few years. If people think the Wii has the most casual players, think again. Online poker alone probably has a larger user base than all consoles combined. Then we have Bejeweled and Mahjong and such. No sir, the large pc gaming user base will be able to continue to support MMOs and $6 puzzlw games for a long time to come.

One can't say that browsers are exclusive to the PC. There are places such as India where mobile phones are becoming the computers of choice. You, yourself even browse vgchartz on your phone so im pretty sure you could pull off poker as well.

Furthermore with new TV technologies such as wireless HDMI you could browse the internet on a future cell-phone with just an LCD or better TV.

Tease.

That's an excellent point! PC no longer gets exclusive claim to browser-based games.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!