By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix Reveals‭ ‬Eidos‭ Takeover ‬Bid

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
pbroy said:
Square has become the RPG genre's EA.

The difference is Enix basically bought Square, whereas EA goes out and buys all the companies who makes good games.  And turns around, fires half their stuaff and replaces them with their own underpaid, overwored drones. 

And in the case of Square-Enix, its the Square division which is churning out the copies and bringing the company down.

I'm sorry. I can't disagree more. I really can't.

If anything were to happen to Square Enix, it would be that Enix brought them and ruined Squaresoft.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
pbroy said:

The difference is Enix basically bought Square, whereas EA goes out and buys all the companies who makes good games.  And turns around, fires half their stuaff and replaces them with their own underpaid, overwored drones. 

And in the case of Square-Enix, its the Square division which is churning out the copies and bringing the company down.

If anything were to happen to Square Enix, it would be that Enix brought them and ruined Squaresoft.

What have they done to ruin Square?  The Square teams and the teams who work on Enix produced games work seperate of each other.  If anyone ruined Square, it was themselves for the last 20 years for banking everything on Final Fantasy.  Time and time again, even when they had a large surplus of money going, they spent that surplus on a bigger and better Final Fantasy title, until it finally backfired on them with the Final Fantasy movie.  And even now, they haven't learned their lesson, with 20 games in the last 2 years with 'Final Fantasy' on the cover.....

Enix didn't kill them.  They did this to themselves.  And they're not showing any sign that they want to fix the problem.  Just make more Final Fantasy games.  Cuz that seems to be their solution to everything.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
outlawauron said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
pbroy said:

What have they done to ruin Square?  The Square teams and the teams who work on Enix produced games work seperate of each other.  If anyone ruined Square, it was themselves for the last 20 years for banking everything on Final Fantasy.  Time and time again, even when they had a large surplus of money going, they spent that surplus on a bigger and better Final Fantasy title, until it finally backfired on them with the Final Fantasy movie.  And even now, they haven't learned their lesson, with 20 games in the last 2 years with 'Final Fantasy' on the cover.....

Enix didn't kill them.  They did this to themselves.  And they're not showing any sign that they want to fix the problem.  Just make more Final Fantasy games.  Cuz that seems to be their solution to everything.

Especially when your new ips flop.

The World Ends With You did not sell well and neither did Sigma Harmonics. The Last Remnant didn't sell very well either.

How does it make business to not make FF games when they bring in a whole lot more $.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
outlawauron said:

I'm not jumping in on this discussion (I rather like what the company is putting out, even if it takes them eight forevers) in any big way, I just want to say that I have a feeling that this isn't about money. It's probably about creative output.

Edit: Looks like I got that one wrong

IGNORE ME

Khuutra said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
outlawauron said:

I'm not jumping in on this discussion (I rather like what the company is putting out, even if it takes them eight forevers) in any big way, I just want to say that I have a feeling that this isn't about money. It's probably about creative output.

IGNORE ME

What exactly has Enix done that has required any creative output. Dragon Quest is one of easier to series to make because of the very simple (but still enjoyable) formula that the series dare not stray from.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
outlawauron said:

IGNORE ME

What exactly has Enix done that has required any creative output. Dragon Quest is one of easier to series to make because of the very simple (but still enjoyable) formula that the series dare not stray from.

First of all, Dragon Quest is not all the Enix side has published.  Tri-Ace has been making a host of Star Ocean game for the Enix side, as they did before the merger, as well as the 360 game Infinite Undiscovery and the PSP game Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.  I would say these games have at least tried to be more varried and dispersed than endless Final Fantasy spinoffs, sequels and remakes.  Even if they don't appeal to me, its closer to getting a company which can support itself and appeal to a larger audiance, instead of just one audiance with the same name brand.

Secondly, I don't really know what to tell you about Dragon Quest.  Level-5 and Yuji Horii has been experimenting with the formula with the last game and this game so much that the fanbase got angry and they had to revert back to a more 'traditional' battle engine.  As well as Dragon Quest IX taking 5 years to be completed.  5 YEARS for a DS game.  The last time I heard a game taking 5 years to be completed was Ocarina of Time and SPore.  If that doesn't show creative output, I don't know what will.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
outlawauron said:

IGNORE ME

First of all, Dragon Quest is not all the Enix side has published.  Tri-Ace has been making a host of Star Ocean game for the Enix side, as they did before the merger, as well as the 360 game Infinite Undiscovery and the PSP game Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.  I would say these games have at least tried to be more varried and dispersed than endless Final Fantasy spinoffs, sequels and remakes.  Even if they don't appeal to me, its closer to getting a company which can support itself and appeal to a larger audiance, instead of just one audiance with the same name brand.

Secondly, I don't really know what to tell you about Dragon Quest.  Level-5 and Yuji Horii has been experimenting with the formula with the last game and this game so much that the fanbase got angry and they had to revert back to a more 'traditional' battle engine.  As well as Dragon Quest IX taking 5 years to be completed.  5 YEARS for a DS game.  The last time I heard a game taking 5 years to be completed was Ocarina of Time and SPore.  If that doesn't show creative output, I don't know what will.

And Square has made some other games as well that were not Final Fantasy. (Parasite Eve, The Last Remnant, Kingdom Hearts, etc.)

Although, wasn't DQ 9 announced in 2006? And that creative output has nothing to do with Enix but has everything to do with the completely independent Level 5.

outlawauron said:

And Square has made some other games as well that were not Final Fantasy. (Parasite Eve, The Last Remnant, Kingdom Hearts, etc.)

Although, wasn't DQ 9 announced in 2006? And that creative output has nothing to do with Enix but has everything to do with the completely independent Level 5.

Square has made about 4-6 games that aren't Final Fantasy in the last 2 years.  For a company that's produced so many games in the last 2 years...all I'm saying is 20+ titles being Final Fantasy (and I'd consider Kingdom Hearts focusing on Final Fantasy as well) is just putting to much focus on one series.  Eventhough Final Fantasy was always the 'king' of the past gens, they still made a number of other games across other series.  But now, its like they're sacrificing those games and series to produce more Final Fantasy titles.  And their marketing focus sure shifted toward their FF brand as well, hurting their titles they did get out like Heroes of Mana, The World Ends With You, Front Mission, etc.

Also, DQIX was announced in 2006 with them having stated the game was already 2 years within the planning and development stage.  And Enix has always had a hand in the series.  Along with the same 4 major producers that have run the series since the first game till now.  Yuji Horii (Senario and Game Design), Akira Toriyama (Character and Monster Designer), Koichi Sugiyama (Composer) and the games executive producer from Enix who's name eludes me right now.  Level-5 is of course a major part of its development, but the series has had multiple game studios connected to it, including Chun Soft, Matrix and ArtePiazza (who are now doing the DS Remakes).  The glue that has kept all this together has been the four major producers of the series, who work on every Dragon QUest game (and not just the ones with numbers on them).

IO needs to stop making mini ninjas and kane and lynch and start making a new hitman game of the quality that blood money had. The best hitman game ever made.

Check out my game about moles ^

Warner Bros. will support the acquisition of Eidos by Square-Enix.

Warner Bros., a giant stakeholder in game company Eidos, is supporting Square Enix's acquisition offer for the British publisher.

The movie studio, media conglomerate and 20 percent shareholder of Eidos "irrevocably" announced its support for Square Enix's takeover by promising its votes when the shareholders elect whether to accept an acquisition offer.

Square Enix's purchase proposal last week for $120 million doubled Eidos's share price in England. The Japanese game giant intelligently placed public pressure on Warner Bros. to accept its bid by publicly reminding the firm that it would have to accept the acquisition, make a counter-offer or face years of shareholder lawsuits for not increasing their value given the chance.

Warner will be combining its 52.5 million-plus shares with Square and its shareholders for a 36 percent interest in Eidos, a large jump closer to reaching the majority votes necessary to pass the purchase.

With no competitive offers in sight and shareholders almost assuredly going to accept the lucrative deal, Eidos will soon be Japan-ified and Square will continue to globalize and consolidate the industry heavyweights into fewer firms.

Source

Doesn't seem to be anything that can stop the deal from going through.

I wonder if Square-Enix would change it's name to Square-Enix-Eidos.