By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony prepping hybrid Blu-ray movie/game discs

That sounds swell! As long as its no more than the usual $59. I'm not paying $89 for a game since it comes with a movie.

Around the Network

I have been hoping for this kind of stuff for a long time. The first go at this was the Stealth/Wipeout on PSP.

Can't wait to see what they try it with first. I think it will be a good idea to have it set like this;

Movie - $24.99
Game - $59.99
Hybrid- $79.99

This way it gives people options. If you want the game and not the movie or visa/versa you can go that route, but if you want both you have an option to save a few bucks by getting them both on one disc.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Sounds like a good idea, since there's plenty of space. However, I would think that they would have to charge extra, but not the combined price of a movie + game, since packaging/shipping costs go down. It might start off expensive initially, say $80-$90, but as Blu-Ray builds up steam, it could decrease to like $70.

Stranglehold Special Edition for the PS3 has Hard Boiled BR packed in. I've never seen it in stores though.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Keep it $60 and i bet software sales go up. That is assuming that they release good movies on the back.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

Is blu-ray even big enough? First generation blu-ray movies were on a single layer 25gb discs, and the quality was inferior to HD-DVD. How much of the 50gb disc is a movie going to take?

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Why wouldn't it fit? How much space does an average game take up considering 99% of them can fit into a dvd. 25GB + 10GB still leaves 15GB. And saying a game is 10GB is being generous isn't it?

Fei-Hung said:
Why wouldn't it fit? How much space does an average game take up considering 99% of them can fit into a dvd. 25GB + 10GB still leaves 15GB. And saying a game is 10GB is being generous isn't it?

Well if a PS3 game only needed 10GB, then blu-ray was a bit of a waste.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

@tyrannical because 90% of games are multiplat and not designed to take advantage of the BD. games like mgs4, ff13, ffv13, gt5 and other upcoming games will utilise more of the BR.

space is not an issue since new BRs are being finalised that can hold over a 100GB. the sony 500GB, panasonic, tdk and pioneer have also completed their 200GB+ BRs.

also, you forgot it wasnt a waste since in the film industry it has proven to be a succcess. as the prices drop, the more its marketshare will grow. WE jan it had a 48% increase over dvd sales during a time of recession with its current price, more devs and film distributors are taking advantage of it. if you own a BR player with a decent movie like transformers, you can take advantage of the cool BR features.