By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 hardware problems???

Well my neither my brother nor I for that matter care for DLP. DLP doesn't solve the size issue. My LCD weighs like 30lbs. My brother is looking to move out and he really doesn't want to lug a DLP set out of the house and i don't balme him. He'd be able to move an LCD unit with no problem. As for 1080p vs 720p, is it really that much of a difference on a 40"set. If he were looking at a 50" set, I'd tell him to go for 1080p, but on a 40" it doesn't seem to be worth it. I'll go look at the two units side by side to see if I'm mistaken.

Around the Network

LCD's and DLP's weigh about the same. By the way Kwaad, on a screen smaller than 50", the human eye really can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p. As soon as I get to Monterey in July, and I get my bonus, I'm picking this baby up.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Sintinel said: LCD's and DLP's weigh about the same. By the way Kwaad, on a screen smaller than 50", the human eye really can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p. As soon as I get to Monterey in July, and I get my bonus, I'm picking this baby up.
Oh yeah you can, you just have to sit closer. But to really appreciate it, you need a bigger screen. Also, that tv you are showing is only 1280x720 for $1300, you could get the 1920x1080 (1080p) for $1450 shipped on pricegrabber, at least with my zip code. Why wouldn't you get the 1080p for only $150 more?

PSN ID: redsock

Sintinel said: LCD's and DLP's weigh about the same. By the way Kwaad, on a screen smaller than 50", the human eye really can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p. As soon as I get to Monterey in July, and I get my bonus, I'm picking this baby up.
I thought it was supposed to be 46 inches at least to view 1080p?. Doesn't matter, I picked up the samsung HL-S5688W And boy am I really happy I purchased that beast. Amazing TV!

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

I Have the best TV EVER MADE!!! A simple 14"!!! I guess i'm the poor guy in here :P

Around the Network

Darc Requiem said: Well my neither my brother nor I for that matter care for DLP. DLP doesn't solve the size issue. My LCD weighs like 30lbs. My brother is looking to move out and he really doesn't want to lug a DLP set out of the house and i don't balme him. He'd be able to move an LCD unit with no problem. As for 1080p vs 720p, is it really that much of a difference on a 40"set. If he were looking at a 50" set, I'd tell him to go for 1080p, but on a 40" it doesn't seem to be worth it. I'll go look at the two units side by side to see if I'm mistaken.
The only think about DLP is the physical size and they are actually not that big. They are quite light too. My father's 61" dlp weighed about 40lbs less than my old samsung slimfit tube that was a 30". The shipping weight on my 42" lcd was 77lbs, so after unpacking it's probably somewhere in the 60s. As for your tv only weighing 30lbs, I think you would be surprised if you actually put it on a scale. Here are the specs on the 71"dlp from samsung. It's only 129.9lbs and that's a 71"! The dimensions on that tv are 65.8"(W) x 46.8"(H) x 20.4"(D) it's only 20.4" deep. As you can see here the 50" dlp only weighs 65lbs and has the dimensions of 45.4"(W) x 15.6"(D) x 32.3"(H). The depth is only 11.1" more than my flat panel at it's deepest point. They also don't suffer from light bleeding at the edges. Also, show me an lcd that has a contrast ratio of 10000:1. I own an LCD and I wish I had gotten a DLP.

PSN ID: redsock

Wow you guys are right about DLPs, I had seen them and assumed that they were heavier than LCDs. I appreciate being corrected, maybe I can get my brother to get larger 1080P DLP for the price he would pay for a smaller LCD unit. I know he is kind of set on a 40", he doesn't want a 50+ inch TV for his bed room but I may be able to change his mind.

Sintinel said: LCD's and DLP's weigh about the same. By the way Kwaad, on a screen smaller than 50", the human eye really can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p. As soon as I get to Monterey in July, and I get my bonus, I'm picking this baby up. redsock said: Oh yeah you can, you just have to sit closer. But to really appreciate it, you need a bigger screen. Also, that tv you are showing is only 1280x720 for $1300, you could get the 1920x1080 (1080p) for $1450 shipped on pricegrabber, at least with my zip code. Why wouldn't you get the 1080p for only $150 more?
I won't actually be buying it through Bestbuy. Most likely I'll buy it through the Commisary so I don't have to pay shipping or taxes, and I can use my .mil credit card.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

A lot of people bought the 1st year 1080p hdtv and they dont support 1080p output they upconvert a 1080i signal so some people who bought the PS3 with last years tv were pissed at sony also ebayers making a quick buck took back some PS3 because they couldnt get thier money back on ebay. mine works fine just a few of the said glitches on blurays it pause maybe 2x during a movie and the controller would cause avatar to spin for a few second once in a while. If you get one go to best buy or a place that offers an extended warranty gamestop offers a 1 year but sony already gives you that out of the box the only difference is you dont have to be without your console for a couple weeks! bestbuy should offer a second year coverage which is when most console take a crap and $60.00 for a second year of coverage it beats having to send it in to sony for $129.95 minimum. also best buy will swap it out with a new one!

do NOT buy the cheapest stuff on price grabber. They show a Nikon D80 camera for under 600$. Look up what they do. They scam you. They sell you a grey market camera. (no warrenty) and then they wont send it to you, unless you buy the batterys and cables that would come with a NORMAL D80. And you end up paying over retail price... for grey market/refurbished grey market, camera.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!