By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 hardware problems???

Okay I'm not starting this up to bash the ps3, I'm actually asking if anyone has heard about problems with the system. I ask because I was thinking about picking one up, my wife was going to get it for me as anniversary gift(being that it's the only console I'm yet to own.) Today she goes to the mall, and everyone to EB Games and Gamestop are bashing the system, customers and workers explaining there has been alot of hardware problems, people have been returning them like crazy, one customer said she returned it three times. I really don't understand this, I told my wife it's probably people that just don't like the ps3 (you know how people get in game stores) because if there was a massive amount of people having problems I'm sure it would be reported on. Just wanted the people with ps3s to tell me their experience so far, or if there is any news of woes with the hardware.

Around the Network

I hadn't heard of any widespread problems. My brothers unit is working fine. He's had his PS3 since December and I haven't see any problems at all. Heck we played Marvel Ultimate Alliance all day Sunday and nada. You sure she wasn't hearing customers complain about their PS2s?

That might be it, because I was just reading reviews on Amazon.com and no one really has complained about problems. The biggest problem really is the expense of a system with a small software base. To be honest I'm not entrirely excited by whats on their now, personally, but I know by year end there will be, so I figured I'd use our anniversary to cash in now. And the worst part is since shes hard bad things, she'll insist I wait till next when the supposedly fix the problems. Oh well. It's probably for the best. I have way too many games to get to on my 360 and Wii for now as is. And I'm already sleep deprived. I'll probably get it next anniversary by then I'm hoping it's cheaper anyway.

Every system ends up with hardware problems how widespread they are is the question ... Often, a system will produce a bad batch of systems (because you get a bad batch of components) and the will end up being released in the same general area at the same time.

Yeah I have too many games as well. I just recently quit EQ2 and Vanguard because MMOs take too much of my time. With those two out of the way, I've actually had to time to play my console games.

Around the Network

I was initially expecting issues similar to PS2 or 360, however, I have been pleasently surprised at what seems to be a really solid hardware from Sony. I would say buy it without much worry. The only issue I have seen noted were to do with older HDTV's that only had 1080i (ie no 720/1080p) resolution capabilities where the initial PS3 would downgrade the picture to 480p, or Standard Def. But, if I'm not mistaken Sony fixed that issue with a firmware upgrade. If you got the $$ and want Sony games go for it.

Haven't heard anything. I think it is the most solid hardware sony has released. Ps1 and ps2 wasn't the best. But so far I haven't heard anything about that ps3 should be bad.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

If I were you, I would get it now. They are going to take the PS2 Emotion Engine out next month and run the PS2 games under software emulation, which may not be a bad thing in the long run; however it is definitely going to decrease PS2 software compatibility for now. As far as dependability goes, I have had my PS3 since launch, no problems. My friend, father and two co-workers have had their PS3s since December and have had no problems either. That doesn't prove that they're flawless but I would say they have, so far, exhibited a much lower failure rate than the early 360s. Besides they have a warranty for a year, if it's going to go out, it will before then and you just get a new one. I have yet to meet someone working in a game store that owns a PS3. They either really want one or hate them. I my guess would be that they don’t like it because they can’t afford one. Apparently GameStop doesn’t pay that well, go figure. As for games, there is going to be a couple titles worth buying here soon. I for one have already paid for my copy of MotorStorm and eagerly await the 7th since my game shop is slow. Not to mention Blu-ray is doing well now. I am guessing if you have a Wii and a 360, you most likely own an HDTV, so you would most likely appreciate the Blu-ray movie playback. I didn’t give a crap about it at first, then I found out net-flix has Blu-rays. Owning an HDTV, a Wii, an Xbox360 and a PS3 isn’t that a dream come true?

PSN ID: redsock

superchunk said: I was initially expecting issues similar to PS2 or 360, however, I have been pleasently surprised at what seems to be a really solid hardware from Sony. I would say buy it without much worry. The only issue I have seen noted were to do with older HDTV's that only had 1080i (ie no 720/1080p) resolution capabilities where the initial PS3 would downgrade the picture to 480p, or Standard Def. But, if I'm not mistaken Sony fixed that issue with a firmware upgrade. If you got the $$ and want Sony games go for it.
First. When the emotion chip comes out and they do a firmware upgrade. The only diffrence is the old units will have better cooling. (as the chips will be turned off) Second. superchunk you are wrong about that. It only effects the firstgen panel TVs that only ran at 480p and 720p. The PS3 does not re-sample a BluRay to 720p. It only does from 1080p and 1080i. However 99% of LCD HDTVs out there right now have a 'sort' of 1080i. So you dont need to worry about that. And that is only effected by the BluRay player. I do not beleive they have fixed it yet in a firmware update. Third. Now is as good a time as any to pick one up. If your PS3 gets dusty tho. do NOT wipe it. Use one of the swiffer dusters or whatever they are. They scratch STUPID EASY. When you get it, I would reccomend leaving it in the vertical position, and make sure there is nothing above it, (at all) and nothing behind it for at least 6 inches. If you can do that, your PS3 will be silent. If you dont. It will be loud. My PS3 runs alot louder in horizontal than vertical. You dont need to worry about scratching the media. The BluRay discs can pass a steel wool test. So that isnt a concern at all. Even the roughest of people on discs... should be fine with BluRay.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

redsock said: If I were you, I would get it now. They are going to take the PS2 Emotion Engine out next month and run the PS2 games under software emulation, which may not be a bad thing in the long run; however it is definitely going to decrease PS2 software compatibility for now. As far as dependability goes, I have had my PS3 since launch, no problems. My friend, father and two co-workers have had their PS3s since December and have had no problems either. That doesn't prove that they're flawless but I would say they have, so far, exhibited a much lower failure rate than the early 360s. Besides they have a warranty for a year, if it's going to go out, it will before then and you just get a new one. I have yet to meet someone working in a game store that owns a PS3. They either really want one or hate them. I my guess would be that they don’t like it because they can’t afford one. Apparently GameStop doesn’t pay that well, go figure. As for games, there is going to be a couple titles worth buying here soon. I for one have already paid for my copy of MotorStorm and eagerly await the 7th since my game shop is slow. Not to mention Blu-ray is doing well now. I am guessing if you have a Wii and a 360, you most likely own an HDTV, so you would most likely appreciate the Blu-ray movie playback. I didn’t give a crap about it at first, then I found out net-flix has Blu-rays. Owning an HDTV, a Wii, an Xbox360 and a PS3 isn’t that a dream come true?
Great post. Welcome to the forum (at least posting-wise). I, too, have had my PS3 since launch although I didn't play it for a month because I considered selling it (sold 1). I decided to keep it when I read that no one had any hardware problems that I could find. I went through the PS1 overheating and having to turn it sideways, and then the PS2 having problems with the laser because it was early DVD tech (and eventually had to get a 2nd). But, so far, the PS3 has no such problems with the blu-ray or anything else. That part of the PS3 launch is truly amazing.