By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Question on first playthrough difficulty

xlost7 said:

Do you play a game on your first playthrough on the hardest difficulty or easiest difficulty or default?

I managed to play my games on the easiest setting just so I can get the feel for the game on the first playthrough//then I will replay the game again for some beef-up difficulty like hard mode in such. I just played Halo Wars the demo on easiest difficulty considering it was however my first RTS I ever played (by the way I enjoyed it).

Again what do you prefer?

Since I find games way, way easier than they once were, I invariably go right to hard (assuming, of course, I'm given that option--few things irritate me more when I have to unlock hard mode) and, since I rarely replay games, this helps me get the most out of it on one pass.

Around the Network

I prefer playing games on a harder difficulty because I find that for most games, normal is almost like easy and takes the fun out of the game by not being challenging enough.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Default for "normal" games. Hardest for SHMUPs! ^^

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

when it's a new IP, I choose easy. Otherwise I'm playing on normal difficulty in my first playthrough.

If a game is extremly fun and rewards me with an achievement, I'm doing an extra playthrough on the hardest difficulty (Halo 3, CoD2 & 4, BF Bad Company)

@xlost7: same for me, I don't care about trophies for the first playthrough, I just enjoy the game.

We're settings brothers lol

Around the Network

For shooters, platformers and fighting games, I play on the hardest dfificulty.

It depends for other games.

I always go to the default difficulty.

then,on future playthroughs I bump it up.

Like the above poster, i just go with whatever the developer recommends, as that's the "nominal difficulty"

If i find the normal difficulty sufficiently challenging, i don't bump the difficulty up. I really don't like difficulty if it makes a game frustrating. Challenge is good, but there's a fine line between satisfying challenge and irritating frustration.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Tremble said:
@xlost7: same for me, I don't care about trophies for the first playthrough, I just enjoy the game.

We're settings brothers lol

If only you were here in the states//lol//but seriously bro I agree//playing the game on the hardest difficulty is a plus cause its a challenging aspect, but the default or easiest difficulty is where its at for me//I enjoy it more so than going insane mode in such//as far as achievements and trophies well those can wait til after I finish the game.

I just see the whole achievements/trophies thing is a distraction on first playthrough//and the hardest difficulty can be fustrating as hell if you take in consideration you get stuck on a part where its difficult//it might be easy for some//but for me I will like to take the less fustrating way out to enjoy the story and gameplay.

@Mr Khan

I totally agree with you bro//I can play the difficult setting then as beat the game I will then switch to the hardest since I enjoyed my first playthrough and know what to expect.

I'm a normal guy so I play normal difficulty. Gears of War 2's normal is easier than most games easy mode, btw. That game was meant to be played on harder difficulty.