By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you feel about SquareEnix nowadays, compared to the 16 and 32-bit gens?

I must say nowadays, I´m indifferent to about 95% of their work.

Their SNES and PS1 games were among my favorite titles in the 16 and 32-bit generations...FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears (my favorite JRPG of all time), FFVII, FFVIII, Parasite Eve, Einhander, Vagrant Story, Star Ocean 2, etc...

Throughout the last generation, I felt the quality of their games had diminished a lot (IMO), while over the past few years, most of their work has been porting and remaking old games to handheld systems (if you like it, you won´t complain of course) with an occasional good original title as scraps (such as TWEWY).

Meanwhile, the little work they´ve done on home systems has been pretty underwhelming (again, IMO), even when compared to last generation, when they were already declining.

Well, I think ever since Square and Enix quit being competitors and joined as a single company, they became a mere shadow of their former self.

I´m hoping SO4 is more like their days of gold.

Ok, this is all my opinion....what´s yours?...Agree?...Disagree?

Around the Network

i don't think you'll find many people that will argue with you that SNES/PS1 was the pinnacle of RPGs. RPGs have since lost popularity especially in the west. I mean this gen there is only a handful of RPGs even worth playing so far, from SquareEnix we're mostly just getting remakes of games from the SNES/PS1 era.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I thought they sucked back then. And they suck today. So life is normal. :)

Mind you I don't understand, enjoy or play RPGs so my view may be slightly biased...

The only good thing to come out of square for me was Tobal No 2, Bushido blade and Einhänder for PS1.

disolitude said:
I thought they sucked back then. And they suck today. So life is normal. :)

Mind you I don't understand, enjoy or play RPGs so my view may be slightly biased...

The only good thing to come out of square for me was Tobal No 2, Bushido blade and Einhänder for PS1.

Mmmm, Bushido Blade. Whatever happened to Lightweight, I wonder? A Bushido Blade 3 would be sexcellent.

Regarding Square, I doubt they'll ever again reach the level of excellence they did during the SNES era. They covered themselves in glory then. Now, not so much.

I like Squeenix.

I don't necessarily like all the games they've made but plenty of other people like the games that I dislike so they're doing something right. I'm also not nearly arrogant enough to say that they're producing bad games just because I dislike them when they have so many fans.

I think the problem is that due to Squeenix's popularity, people have higher expectations for them--more so than any other RPG developer in fact. So basically when SE's next game doesn't turn out to be the Second Coming, some people are very disappointed. I try to set reasonable expectations so I don't usually run into this.

Around the Network

Hey, Kingdom Hearts is fantastic, and TWEWY is great, too--not a Final Fantasy fan, but hey...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Unfortunately I don't think those days will ever come back.

Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
Final Fantasy 4-9

Those are still the best JRPGs ever made for me (with Suikoden 2). And I don't see any game really make that list this gen.

Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG

are my favorite JRPGs and close to my favorite games of all time. I just can't see them being surpassed any time soon. Thats not to say that there aren't some good looking JRPGs coming out soon.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Enix part is still quite good ( with the exception of Quintet loss ).

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

what about einhander? That game was sweet and actually wasn't an RPG.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X