By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you feel about SquareEnix nowadays, compared to the 16 and 32-bit gens?

At last I find more than 1 person who played and enjoyed Einhander..back then Square was experimenting with different genres and mixing some up (Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer, Einhander, etc..).

Around the Network

I love some of the older SquareSoft game, FF6-9 are great. I recently got Vagrant Story and am playing through that and looking for Tobal No1 and Mission Front 3 (only version I can get in the UK). FFX was good but cheesy

I've never played an Enix game. (Unless I didn't know it was one)

But when they joined, things for me went down hill, Star Ocean was good length and the battle system fantastic.

FFXI online only was a kick in the balls....wait was that before the join or after?

FFXII took ages to arrive and now I'm playing Vagrant Story, just feels like a sequal to that. The Ivalice world should have stayed in the Ivalice world, it could have renamed this game and another in the Ivalice series of games and given me a real Final Fantasy game.

Eitherway, I prefer old school SquareSoft to what we have now. They released loads of games and great games too.

Hmm, pie.

I dislike graphics whoring... and it seems that the FF franchise is slipping that way even more than it was before.... so yeah I feel different about SE...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Erm for the record, Star Ocean has always been developed by Tri Ace and NOT by (Square)Enix, so is Star Ocean the Last Hope.

Most of the SE I don't even buy anymore because they release so many games and a lot of them lack in quality. In the past they only released like what... a game a year or 2 years perhaps? I'm happy with the DQ remakes but I'm tired of the FF remakes.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

I believe that Square-Enix has fallen far and forgotten much. But I don't think they're beyond redemption or anything, and I still pick up some of their games from time to time (most notably the Kingdom Hearts series).

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Indifferent is the word.

But then again, I will be buying Chrono Trigger DS...

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Back in the day Square could make a good game with their eyes closed, my favorite being Final Fantasy VI.

Now, it seems like they have a harder time making a good game.

Square went down hill with the release of FFVII. Outside of a few bright moments here in there, they've never been the same company.

Soriku said:
johnsobas said:
what about einhander? That game was sweet and actually wasn't an RPG.

Yes, yes it was. They should do a revival of that. I played that a lot :3

Anyway, I still like SE. I hope they make more original IPs like TWEWY though.

Einhander was on my list of purchases for my recent "I'm going to buy cool PS1 games." thing...sadly like a lot of awesome games, it was not released in the UK or Europe. There is no Pal version to play.

Just like FFTactics.

Hmm, pie.

IMO, the only really really great games theyve released this gen were TWETY and Crisis Core. FFXII, tho last gen, sucked terribly compared to the old FFs. all the other FF spin offs were bad (like dirge and reverent wings...)

actually, i really liked FFTA2. so those 3 games.