By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is The Last Remnant that bad of a game?

Eternal Sonata isn't great, but it's certainly better The Last Remnant.

Last Remnant has so many issues holding it. I wouldn't even call it an average RPG. Eternal Sonata's biggest problems, in my opinion, are it's somewhat boring story and it gets repetitive. It was still a well put together game, though, unlike The Last Remnant. Eternal Sonata is technically superior.

Around the Network
Destiny Blade said:
Eternal Sonata isn't great, but it's certainly better The Last Remnant.

Last Remnant has so many issues holding it. I wouldn't even call it an average RPG. Eternal Sonata's biggest problems, in my opinion, are it's somewhat boring story and it gets repetitive. It was still a well put together game, though, unlike The Last Remnant. Eternal Sonata is technically superior.

Sorry my opinion is controversial, but Eternal Sonata is merely mediocre. It had so much going for it, but fell flat on it's face in so many areas (whereas something like Tales of Vesperia hit flawlessly).

The cons with Eternal Sonata were:

• Storyline was GARBAGE. At the end of the 30hr game, my fiancee and I were litterally making up the dialogue. It was so incredibly horrible. Incomprehensible would be the world. It made no sense. Chopin died in real life to help out Polka Dot? WTF?!
  • Along with the storyline, the dialogue is horrible. Abysmal. Cutscenes in battle for high-echo combos are incredibly dumb 'Use the power of the melancholy rain of nothingness! Golden Shower attack, NOWWOWWOWSHAMWOW!
  • Gold/Economy system is abysmal. You can litterally gather all the gold needed for the ENTIRE GAME within 15 minutes of starting (10 photos of the first boss, FYI).
  • Viola is vastly overpowered.
  • Battle system is garbage later on. It starts out nice, thinking 'oh man, this is cool!' but once you learn Harmony Chains, it comes down to simple button mashing. The first playthrough becomes oh-so boring, being able to deal out 1,000,000 damage per round.

There are good points to it. I'm not saying it's worse than IU or EM. I'd put ES just below TLR around a 7.6-7.8 depending on my mood. The visuals, loading times, and music are all great. But what could have been a grand game fell flat on it's face thanks to a horrible translation, and poor gameplay decisions. When you can compare Tales of Vesperia to Eternal Sonata, it's hard to make a comparison: It's like comparing Beyond the Beyond to Final Fantasy VII. You just know which one did similar things, but tons better.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The thing is I never played Orge Battle 64//Bingoo//and also I like the whole battle system aspect. You select your units and they duke it out with the surrounding enemies. And the whole moral aspect of the enemies and allies is a nice touch. I want this game seriously. It's no must have but it is a nice little title to have in any RPG's collection//@mrstickball//I will seriously take in consideration the NXE HDD thing for The Last Remnant//lol

It's a good game. If you dont mind technical issues much then go for it.

Out of the 360 RPGs that I've played, it's definitely the worst. It's sad because the battle system is actually really good, and the game has that "expansive" feel to it, but so far the story is terrible, and the pop-in and framerate issues are making me want to stop playing the game. The pop-in is especially bad.

The voice work really, really sucks as well.

Around the Network

It's a great game IMO, if you don't care about the technical stuff (which i don't).

This game have a very beautiful graphic and story is good only problem is some framerate issue on the battle scene. If you dont mind this issues you should get this game.

Based on what I've read, I agree with the review written for VGC by Louie, a game that had promise, but is doomed to sub average status due to massive technical issues and lackluster performance in other aspects.

mrstickball said:
It's a pretty good game that got racked with bad reviews thanks to the technical problems.

I have not beat it yet, thanks to my massive backlog. However, I just entered the 2nd disk, and disc 1 was pretty darn good.

Is it the best 360 RPG? No. But it's better than a few (Eternal Sonata, IU, EM, PSU).

The battle system is fantastic, and a breath of fresh air. Visuals are very good.

Story is OK. The problem is that the technical issues: frame rate drops, loading times, and texture pop-in murder the game's good visuals and gameplay.

If you are interested in the game, I HIGHLY suggest installing it on your HDD. It makes a massive difference. Load times (and there's a lot of loading) drop by 60-75%, frame rate drops are almost non-existent, and texture pop-in is reduced significantly.

I'd give the game a 7.9 overall between an NXE score and a non-NXE score. It's not as good as Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia, but the best SRPG the 360 offers.

as mrstickball stated, its a pretty good game that was marred in reviews because of technical faults.

if you can ignore the faults even better doing an install it wont be to bad.

i would like to add to stickballs comments though, the premise of game that its gonna be an rpg for the world, ie not a niche title but one that everyone would pick up and play. in LR thats not the case as its a kinda srpg which is a good thing because srpg are as good as normal jrpg`s.

but it wont be a game for everyone, ive yet to pick it up, in fact im trading in ES i give up on 4rth act pirate boss. it just got to tedious for me, so i may aswell get LR

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

as mrstickball stated, its a pretty good game that was marred in reviews because of technical faults.

if you can ignore the faults even better doing an install it wont be to bad.

i would like to add to stickballs comments though, the premise of game that its gonna be an rpg for the world, ie not a niche title but one that everyone would pick up and play. in LR thats not the case as its a kinda srpg which is a good thing because srpg are as good as normal jrpg`s.

but it wont be a game for everyone, ive yet to pick it up, in fact im trading in ES i give up on 4rth act pirate boss. it just got to tedious for me, so i may aswell get LR

Yes. The Last Remnant is the hardest JRPG available (with Lost Odyssey being a close second) on the 360. It's not a casual RPG. When Square said it's an RPG for the world, they meant to say 'hey, we included Western-style sidequests and a save-anywhere system!'

Both are nice, but really don't make it any less hardcore, given the fact that battles can last quite some time.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.