By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360 has the edge over PS3

Staude said:
The playstation 3 does what no console at it's price point has done before it. Sell as well as the competition despite being twice as expensive. That's just my thoughts on it.

agreed.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Staude said:
The playstation 3 does what no console at it's price point has done before it. Sell as well as the competition despite being twice as expensive. That's just my thoughts on it.

agreed.

Also agree. I think it shows that the PlayStation brand has a lot of inherent value (much like Kutaragi said on his day of infamy)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

V-r0cK said:
Jereel Hunter said:
V-r0cK said:
"..Microsoft has come hard this generation with an early start and has continued to compete and outdo Sony, sales wise, despite the 140m+ fan base Sony had last generation."

Because its all about the 8 million more Xbox360 owners. I just find it hard to believe that Sony's doing alot worst than MS just from 8 million people. PS3 isnt that far behind with the price its at.

It's not about 8 million people. It's about going from a 115 million unit advantage last generation to being 8 million behind now. And rising. That's a 123 million unit swing from last gen. That's huge.

Well then something's wrong with these people because you cant honestly believe that Sony will continue to dominate as they did last gen unless the competitors are still dumb and didnt learn from their experience.  As we can see, MS and Nintendo learned alot from their previous gen and utilized it.  Did these people think that regardless of MS and Nintendo's plan, Sony will dominate just because they did last gen?

Yeah, alot ppl thought Sony would kick MS and Ninty's ass back in 2005 and 2006. One of my favorite predictions from an analyst predicted something like 120 million PS3's, 40 million 360's and 15 million Wii's at the end of the gen. The standard thinking was Sony will chug along as they have the last 2 gens, MS will see a modest increase, and Nintendo will flounder following the failure of the GC.

V-r0cK said:
Jereel Hunter said:
V-r0cK said:
"..Microsoft has come hard this generation with an early start and has continued to compete and outdo Sony, sales wise, despite the 140m+ fan base Sony had last generation."

Because its all about the 8 million more Xbox360 owners. I just find it hard to believe that Sony's doing alot worst than MS just from 8 million people. PS3 isnt that far behind with the price its at.

It's not about 8 million people. It's about going from a 115 million unit advantage last generation to being 8 million behind now. And rising. That's a 123 million unit swing from last gen. That's huge.

Well then something's wrong with these people because you cant honestly believe that Sony will continue to dominate as they did last gen unless the competitors are still dumb and didnt learn from their experience.  As we can see, MS and Nintendo learned alot from their previous gen and utilized it.  Did these people think that regardless of MS and Nintendo's plan, Sony will dominate just because they did last gen?

Yes, people usually imagine future simply as an exaggerated present, ignoring the more complex background events.

This is why most predictions are so wrong. (Check paleo-future, the study of old futuristic concepts)

Now most people are sure that the following generation will be another sony/microsoft/nintendo console war, with Sony making an expensive niche product with holo-disc technology, and Nintendo making more motion controls, for the casual gamers. :)

I think he is a fanboy but he has two very valid point

1---the 360 is easier to dev for (not counting the wii of course)
- b/c of this you will see more devs willing to work with the 360 hardware b/c while it might not be easier to get every ounce of power getting a game above 75% will still net them about a 7-8.5/10 review and over 1 mil in sales---also b/c of the ease you will not have to spend as much ona team trying to get the best talent

2—the 360s price is the biggest advantage they have over Sony to date
-b/c of it they can always stay one step a head of Sony and match if not beat any price move Sony might make

Hopefully Sony will learn some lessons this gen and not try to put out the hardest to dev for and the most expensive machine next time around

Around the Network
kjj4t9rdad said:
Procrastinato said:
The Xbox 360 Arcade could sell for $149.99 tomorrow, because Microsoft makes big bucks off each one sold. Sony loses money on expensive $129.99 Playstation 2 though, because its old and manufacturer's charge a lot more for pieces to make old stuff with.

Even though Sony Playstation 2 sells near 50% of what 360 sells, its very clear it costs them money to make (from money loser reports) , but MS would rake in the dough at $149.99 for easy-to-make 360, which will be made from straw and tin mostly at new price, which is way cheaper than PS2 stuff.

Pricecut will never help Sony! Microsoft will always win with even more cheaper 360!

You actually thick Sony losses money on a ps2?  Are you joking? 

People said a price cut wouldn't help the 360 when PS3 was outselling it @ twice the price.  We all know how that turned out.

Microsoft's financial situation is not great.  They are cutting jobs and cost just like every other company.  They will not lower the price of any 360 untill Sony begins to catch up.  They would be stupid to cut prices before this, simply because they don't need to.  Profit is to important in the current economy and the amount spent on the RRoD continues to grow.(although at a slower pace).

plus, the 360 has reached its peak, as far as sales.  Check history, the third year is almost always the best year for any succesful console.  Last year was the 360's 3rd year and this year is the PS3 and the Wii's 3rd year.

The ONLY advantage the 360 has is price.   Everything else is a advantage to the PS3.

LOLWUT they made 4 billion dollars in their last financial report and the xbox division made like 400mil while it has to pull the zune on its back.  Also the 360 is doing better than last year(its 3rd year).