By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What is so special about Killzone 2?

I created a UK account, downloaded the demo, and played through it twice.  From all the initial reviews and hype, I was expecting a religious experience both graphically and gameplay-wise.  As the old lady in the Wendy's commercial said, "Where's the beef?"?

The graphics are top notch, no doubt, but I honestly don't find them overall any better than MGS4 and Gears 2.  The physics are certainly very well done and I'd say that KZ2 certainly has a lock on "realism" from a physics standpoint, but the graphics are not what I had hoped for.  Right at the beginning, for example, the water is less than impressive as you cross that little stream.  I think Bioshock had better water scenes.  There are some terrible textures in places if you stop and look at stuff that is both close and far.

I was apalled to see the cliche exploding barrells always "just in the right place".  That has gotten really old.  I would also have liked to see a bit of variety in bad guys.  All the same dudes.  The demo AI isn't "smart" IMO, either.  I've read they are clever but they just seem like more cannon fodder most of the time.  Yeah, they duck, but they also pop their head up and get blasted, too.

I was amped up about the game after all the hype but after having played the demo, I'm going to wait for it to come out and read some later reviews.  All the 10s the game has gotten (as well as other games this gen) are highly misleading as the game, in my opinion, a bit uninspired, and cliche.

In the end, it does look like a polished version of COD and that isn't a bad thing.  Based on the demo, however, it isn't the defining game of this generation or of this genre.

I'm sure my post will be labeled blasphemy.  Oh well.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in this case, most will think mine sucks.  Sobeit.

BTW, I played the first round on my 1080P 42" Sharp Aquos LCD and my second round on my Sharp DLP projector.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

it really isn't anything special.. id much rather play the conduit.

Well...this is almost exactly what I thought. There is no doubt its a good game, its just about as generic an FPS as you can get. Good, but absolutely generic. Which isn't always a bad thing, but....I guess its because its uber realistic.

Now I may not be like everyone else, but playing an FPS that is TOO realistic about the horrors of war defeats my entire purpose of playing video games. I play to escape, or to have a good time, not to have reality breathing down my neck in its worst form. Even then, it felt exactly like I thought it would; like a Call of Duty: Killzone.

Regardless, except for its awful controls, the game played great, at least from the demo. I'll probably get it in time, but with SO4 and Resi 5, I'm not gonna have the money :/

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

If you take away the presentation elements of the game (graphics, audio, animation) and just look at it that way, it is a good game. Not great, but good. However, all those of things matter. And although it didn't pull me in as much as Uncharted, it is still an amazing game with the ability to pull people into its world. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I hated the voice acting. That alone was enough to annoy me.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

hype, hype, hype, if killzone 2 was the exact same game but released exclusively for wii people would hate it with deep passion, the same opposite thing can be said about the conduit, if it was the same game released exclusively for the PS3 people would go all mad about it

Around the Network

PLAYED????? HOW???? IS THERE A DEMO ON THE 360?????... NOOOOOO!!!!!! DAMN YOU ALL!!!!! NO BODY INFORMED ME ABOUT THIS!!!!!!

The Playstation brand hasn't been known for being an FPS console back in the PS2 days. It's something new to Playstation fans that haven't experienced the likes of Halo and Gears and don't plan on it.

For anyone who has experienced PSO for the first time during the Dreamcast era, you probably shit in your pants the first time you played that game online. Now it's just the same rehashed game and nothing to get excited about. *points at PSU* You piece of crap!!!

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Wait till the full version before you judge, it will be so much better.

for myself, this is something closer to having a 400 rig that can handle Crysis in Max Setting...

The graphics are real life.