By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Goodbye, old friend (and f**k you, MSFT)

The worst just happened:

After 1 1/2 years of hard service, this elite warrior couldn't take it any more and died. It's error code E71 and one red light in the bottom right corner. Now it's time to call up the funeral service (1-800-XBOX or something) and order the coffin.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

Damn, sorry to hear that. The E-errors aren't covered by the 3 year warranty, right? It's typical, RROD is virtually a thing of the past but now there seems to be an increase in these E70-error codes.

@ Dolemit - sorry to read this. I think you should prolly post it in the RROD thread and close this one.

E71...? WTH...

Sorry for your Xbox...

Somehow, I don't think putting another electronic device directly on top of the Elite was a wise decision.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:

The worst just happened:

After 1 1/2 years of hard service, this elite warrior couldn't take it any more and died. It's error code E71 and one red light in the bottom right corner. Now it's time to call up the funeral service (1-800-XBOX or something) and order the coffin.

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

--==Console Reset Codes==--
Clear All Installed Game Updates and Console Cache

1. Go to the "system" blade
  2. Select "memory"
  3. Press Y on the HD symbol
  4. Press X,X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X
  5. A message will appear saying: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
  6. Select Yes

Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
  2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
  3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
  4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.

mrstickball said:
Somehow, I don't think putting another electronic device directly on top of the Elite was a wise decision.

Well, it died immediately after some stupid update, so I don't think the Motorola cable box is to blame. Now, if I could only find that small white button, that madskillz mentioned...

dolemit3 said:
mrstickball said:

Well, it died immediately after some stupid update, so I don't think the Motorola cable box is to blame. Now, if I could only find that small white button, that madskillz mentioned...

It'll be black on your system, and should be right beside the Memory Card slots.  The button you used to sync up your controllers.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
mrstickball said:

Somehow I don't think Microsoft making hardware that broke when other (even light) devices were set on top of them was a wise decision. But hey, I got the RROD and mine was on a shelf by itself.

And sorry about your Xbox man. I feel your pain. I thought the elite was suposed to be better hardware but it seems to be having a lot of problems lately. Thank god my new X-box hasn't shown any real problems. Aside from sounding like a Hoover and the failure rate the 360 is truly a great machine.

PS3 Trophies

So I decided to perform the CPR procedure that madskillz posted and look what happened:

Does it mean it's gonna get repaired for free now?