By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - confirmed LETS TAP > hALO WARS>>>Killzone 2

VivaLaWiida said:
Why is it in your opinion bullshit? Everyone has his own taste and you all know that the EDGE magazine is different. They attach importance ot new creative, innovative games.

If you don't want to read negative points about your favorite dream game then just skip this thread and don't take care about this.

No. They don't award innovation. They reward other games which aren't innovative and then hammer others on little more then the title not being innovative. That's just inconsistent. If I erased the name Killzone 2 and Gears of War 2 in their respective reviews you would be hard pressed to tell me which one they belonged to despite being 2 point difference apart. Seriously, go read them. That is just inconsistant and has nothing to do with innovation.

PS3 Trophies

Around the Network
Shadowblind said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
disolitude said:

Both halo wars and killzone got a 7/10...heh.

Could it be possible that a magazine out there doesnt review production values of games...but the gameplay only?

I mean, lets tap looks like ass but it sure looks fun and innovative.

Fear 2, house of dead(other 8's on the list)....all these games(should) have great gameplay. But no one is making animated gifs with their graphics so they can't be better than killzone 2 right...

This is EXACTLY why I respect EDGE. They go by entertainment value, not if it has particle effects or not. 

And look how they did; years later Halo 3 is still being played and enjoyed even more then it was the first year out, has had over a few thousand years worth of time spent playing it, and it got a 10. Damn if Edge cn't call 'em.

Left 4 Dead got a nine if I remember right; and its still fun to play 100+ hours into it.

EDGE goes by value and fun factor, not by how much the things cost. At least, what I've seen of them points directly to this idea. 

They gave Fallout 3 a 7 even though I've enjoyed it 100+ hours into it and the fact that it beat out more overhyped games for a majority of GOTY 08 winners. What's your point?

Fact is, just as many people can't stand crap aiming and yellow terrain and didn't enjoy that game that much as people who did. I don't care how many GOTY awards it gets; I, like them apparently, did NOT find the fun in it that much. Doesn't mean everybody won't obviously, but they didn't.

Yea, and I thought The Dark Knight was the best movie of the past year and didn't care for Slumdog Millionare. At the same time I couldn't take a Critic serious who rated The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year when all the other's were heralding Slumdog Millionare with that spot. If anything, that critic heralding The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year is Edge. And even if I personally agreed with their view, I can still see they are awful critics.

I thought just about everyone knew by now that the game reviewing system, while it isn't nearly as corrupt as some people want to think, has its standards set in the wrong place. I have yet to hear that about the movie industry, so your point doesn't exactly make sense when talking about the critics of an entirely different genre of entertainment. And Fallout 3 didn't have good gunplay at all, and they apparently didn't find VATS the most amazing thing since sliced bread either. So this only builds up the idea that 1) EDGE goes by gameplay and coherencey in gameplay above all else.

I think we should be impressed by MGS4; for not having a whole lot of gameplay to movie ratio, it scored high. And if you 2) go play the FEAR 2 demo and are looking at it for gameplay mainly, you'll see why it scored higher then KZ of Halo Wars. Having played demos of all 3, it seems the best, since I wasnt too impressed with HW and Killzone 2 had awful control.

1. Again. That point is pointless as the review for K2 claims the controls and gameplay are both great. It's just not innovative enough. Either way you slice that pie, it's inconsistent to other reviews.

2. I have played both the demos to Fear 2 and KZ2. And from a GAMEPLAY aspect, Fear 2 was the one that felt like a generic shooter to me. Seriously, it both controlled and felt exactly like Timeshift to me and I both own and have beaten that pos as it was given to me last x-mas. That being said, Fear 2 was an amazing demo but not because of the gameplay but rather for the atmosphere. It is absolutely creepy which was amazing. Awful example.

PS3 Trophies

Shadowblind said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
disolitude said:

Could it be possible that a magazine out there doesnt review production values of games...but the gameplay only?

Fear 2, house of dead(other 8's on the list)....all these games(should) have great gameplay. But no one is making animated gifs with their graphics so they can't be better than killzone 2 right...

This is EXACTLY why I respect EDGE. They go by entertainment value, not if it has particle effects or not. 

And look how they did; years later Halo 3 is still being played and enjoyed even more then it was the first year out, has had over a few thousand years worth of time spent playing it, and it got a 10. Damn if Edge cn't call 'em.

Left 4 Dead got a nine if I remember right; and its still fun to play 100+ hours into it.

EDGE goes by value and fun factor, not by how much the things cost. At least, what I've seen of them points directly to this idea. 

They gave Fallout 3 a 7 even though I've enjoyed it 100+ hours into it and the fact that it beat out more overhyped games for a majority of GOTY 08 winners. What's your point?

Fact is, just as many people can't stand crap aiming and yellow terrain and didn't enjoy that game that much as people who did. I don't care how many GOTY awards it gets; I, like them apparently, did NOT find the fun in it that much. Doesn't mean everybody won't obviously, but they didn't.

Yea, and I thought The Dark Knight was the best movie of the past year and didn't care for Slumdog Millionare. At the same time I couldn't take a Critic serious who rated The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year when all the other's were heralding Slumdog Millionare with that spot. If anything, that critic heralding The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year is Edge. And even if I personally agreed with their view, I can still see they are awful critics.

I thought just about everyone knew by now that the game reviewing system, while it isn't nearly as corrupt as some people want to think, has its standards set in the wrong place. I have yet to hear that about the movie industry, so your point doesn't exactly make sense when talking about the critics of an entirely different genre of entertainment. And Fallout 3 didn't have good gunplay at all, and they apparently didn't find VATS the most amazing thing since sliced bread either. So this only builds up the idea that EDGE goes by gameplay and coherencey in gameplay above all else.

I think we should be impressed by MGS4; for not having a whole lot of gameplay to movie ratio, it scored high. And if you go play the FEAR 2 demo and are looking at it for gameplay mainly, you'll see why it scored higher then KZ of Halo Wars. Having played demos of all 3, it seems the best, since I'm pretty bad at RTS games and Killzone 2 had awful control.

Iv'e played fear 2 demo also too, and found it was quite avarage, i only liked scary parts and atmosphere which was top notch, on other hand i've enjoyed halo wars, and killzone 2 way more. In my opinion Fear 2 is not that great, at least on the consoles, i have not comments about pc version because i didn't play it.

Yeah..it's BS... Let's Tap deserves a 9!!!!!!!
I mean... a box? Awesome!! Take that Zapper & Wheel!!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Yuji Naka strikes again! Rawr!

The creator of Sonic cannot be stopped. Mwehehehe!

(Meanwhile, back in the Yuji cave...)

Around the Network

@dissolute

I don't know how to inform you of this, see here in my hand I have a memo dated August 5th 2006 and it reads:

"Hence forth all gamers forthwith and therein shall appreciate production cost while commenced in gaming, all gamers must fathom and record that each step hither to objective will summize, *clears throat* a percentage of this production value."

- I hope that explains Heavenly Sword to you as well, did you get that memo though?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Staude said:
disolitude said:

dude.. production values are a part of the experience. Production values.. are.. values of the games quality. Hence they should be counted. Obviously.

I don't really agree that production matters much... not for gamers that have been around since nintendo/master system days or before anyways. Game is fun if its fun...and no amount of superb visuals can make it fun if it sucks. Im not saying that Killzone 2, halo wars or any of those suck mind you...I can't wait to play both...but I do think that all developers making next gen games now ned to sit down and think..."ok, is this 100 million polygon game we are making fun to play?" a lot of the time it jsut isn't.

I bet you and me would have a day long argument on why I think that Castlevania Symphony of night is better game than Uncharted. :)

dib8rman said:
@dissolute

I don't know how to inform you of this, see here in my hand I have a memo dated August 5th 2006 and it reads:

"Hence forth all gamers forthwith and therein shall appreciate production cost while commenced in gaming, all gamers must fathom and record that each step hither to objective will summize, *clears throat* a percentage of this production value."

- I hope that explains Heavenly Sword to you as well, did you get that memo though?

Lol. I did not get this memo...and even if I did, in Aug 2006 I just got a 360 and was still blinded by the shiny production values. I probably would have agreed with it back then. I know better now :)

Solid_Raiden said:
Kasz216 said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Kasz216 said:
Staude said:
disolitude said:

dude.. production values are a part of the experience. Production values.. are.. values of the games quality. Hence they should be counted. Obviously.

For like... maybe... half a point.

For games... gameplay should reign supreme.

For all of you people screaming "they like gameplay over graphics" why don't you go read the damn review? The review is very positive. The ONLY negatives they give are the uninspired story, the VO and that the game isn't revolutionary. They rate both the controls and the gameplay as positives! :P

Hey i'm just responding to people who say "Production values should count.".

They should... but for very little.

Honestly i think soundtrack has more to do with enjoyment of a game then visuals.

Gameplay and Replability are what really matter and 90% of reviewers forget that.

Also... why would I read the review for the gameplay when I can just play the demo on my PS3?

Oh, IDK maybe because this thread is for the discussion of the EDGE reviews. :P

For which one simply needs to know how edge reviews games.