By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - confirmed LETS TAP > hALO WARS>>>Killzone 2

disolitude said:

Both halo wars and killzone got a 7/10...heh.

Could it be possible that a magazine out there doesnt review production values of games...but the gameplay only?

I mean, lets tap looks like ass but it sure looks fun and innovative.

Fear 2, house of dead(other 8's on the list)....all these games(should) have great gameplay. But no one is making animated gifs with their graphics so they can't be better than killzone 2 right...

This is EXACTLY why I respect EDGE. They go by entertainment value, not if it has particle effects or not. 

And look how they did; years later Halo 3 is still being played and enjoyed even more then it was the first year out, has had over a few thousand years worth of time spent playing it, and it got a 10. Damn if Edge cn't call 'em.

Left 4 Dead got a nine if I remember right; and its still fun to play 100+ hours into it.

EDGE goes by value and fun factor, not by how much the things cost. At least, what I've seen of them points directly to this idea.  They aren't the nicest people, but they sure are honest.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Staude said:
disolitude said:

Could it be possible that a magazine out there doesnt review production values of games...but the gameplay only?

Fear 2, house of dead(other 8's on the list)....all these games(should) have great gameplay. But no one is making animated gifs with their graphics so they can't be better than killzone 2 right...

dude.. production values are a part of the experience. Production values.. are.. values of the games quality. Hence they should be counted. Obviously.

For like... maybe... half a point.

For games... gameplay should reign supreme.

For all of you people screaming "they like gameplay over graphics" why don't you go read the damn review? The review is very positive. The ONLY negatives they give are the uninspired story, the VO and that the game isn't revolutionary. They rate both the controls and the gameplay as positives! :P

PS3 Trophies

EDGE has always been a mixed bag for me. Sometimes they review well and other times they seem to be hypocritical on what they take off.

But I haven't read their reviews of the games to know why they gave them such scores so I can't obviously comment in anyway towards it. However, I will say, hype does not warrant a good score.

Solid_Raiden said:
Kasz216 said:
Staude said:
disolitude said:

dude.. production values are a part of the experience. Production values.. are.. values of the games quality. Hence they should be counted. Obviously.

For all of you people screaming "they like gameplay over graphics" why don't you go read the damn review? The review is very positive. The ONLY negatives they give are the uninspired story, the VO and that the game isn't revolutionary. They rate both the controls and the gameplay as positives! :P

Hey i'm just responding to people who say "Production values should count.".

They should... but for very little.

Honestly i think soundtrack has more to do with enjoyment of a game then visuals.

Gameplay and Replability are what really matter and 90% of reviewers forget that.

Also... why would I read the review for the gameplay when I can just play the demo on my PS3?

Shadowblind said:
disolitude said:

This is EXACTLY why I respect EDGE. They go by entertainment value, not if it has particle effects or not. 

And look how they did; years later Halo 3 is still being played and enjoyed even more then it was the first year out, has had over a few thousand years worth of time spent playing it, and it got a 10. Damn if Edge cn't call 'em.

Left 4 Dead got a nine if I remember right; and its still fun to play 100+ hours into it.

EDGE goes by value and fun factor, not by how much the things cost. At least, what I've seen of them points directly to this idea. 

They gave Fallout 3 a 7 even though I've enjoyed it 100+ hours into it and the fact that it beat out more overhyped games for a majority of GOTY 08 winners. What's your point?

PS3 Trophies

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Kasz216 said:
Staude said:
disolitude said:

Hey i'm just responding to people who say "Production values should count.".

They should... but for very little.

Honestly i think soundtrack has more to do with enjoyment of a game then visuals.

Gameplay and Replability are what really matter and 90% of reviewers forget that.

Also... why would I read the review for the gameplay when I can just play the demo on my PS3?

Oh, IDK maybe because this thread is for the discussion of the EDGE reviews. :P

PS3 Trophies

Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
disolitude said:

EDGE goes by value and fun factor, not by how much the things cost. At least, what I've seen of them points directly to this idea. 

They gave Fallout 3 a 7 even though I've enjoyed it 100+ hours into it and the fact that it beat out more overhyped games for a majority of GOTY 08 winners. What's your point?

Fact is, just as many people can't stand crap aiming and yellow terrain and didn't enjoy that game that much as people who did. I don't care how many GOTY awards it gets; I, like them apparently, did NOT find the fun in it that much. Doesn't mean everybody won't obviously, but they didn't.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
disolitude said:

Fact is, just as many people can't stand crap aiming and yellow terrain and didn't enjoy that game that much as people who did. I don't care how many GOTY awards it gets; I, like them apparently, did NOT find the fun in it that much. Doesn't mean everybody won't obviously, but they didn't.

Yea, and I thought The Dark Knight was the best movie of the past year and didn't care for Slumdog Millionare. At the same time I couldn't take a Critic serious who rated The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year when all the other's were heralding Slumdog Millionare with that spot. If anything, that critic heralding The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year is Edge. And even if I personally agreed with their view, I can still see they are awful critics.

PS3 Trophies

Why is it in your opinion bullshit? Everyone has his own taste and you all know that the EDGE magazine is different. They attach importance ot new creative, innovative games.

If you don't want to read negative points about your favorite dream game then just skip this thread and don't take care about this.

Take a look at my photos on flickr

Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
Solid_Raiden said:
Shadowblind said:
disolitude said:

Yea, and I thought The Dark Knight was the best movie of the past year and didn't care for Slumdog Millionare. At the same time I couldn't take a Critic serious who rated The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year when all the other's were heralding Slumdog Millionare with that spot. If anything, that critic heralding The Dark Knight as the best movie of the year is Edge. And even if I personally agreed with their view, I can still see they are awful critics.

I thought just about everyone knew by now that the game reviewing system, while it isn't nearly as corrupt as some people want to think, has its standards set in the wrong place. I have yet to hear that about the movie industry, so your point doesn't exactly make sense when talking about the critics of an entirely different genre of entertainment. And Fallout 3 didn't have good gunplay at all, and they apparently didn't find VATS the most amazing thing since sliced bread either. So this only builds up the idea that EDGE goes by gameplay and coherencey in gameplay above all else.

I think we should be impressed by MGS4; for not having a whole lot of gameplay to movie ratio, it scored high. And if you go play the FEAR 2 demo and are looking at it for gameplay mainly, you'll see why it scored higher then KZ of Halo Wars. Having played demos of all 3, it seems the best, since I wasnt too impressed with HW and Killzone 2 had awful control.