By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2 aim/look speed: Realism? Or bad attempt at it?

I've noticed there's been alot of talk about it, usually negative.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about: KZ2 does tons of things to really give you a sense that you're in control of an actual person. Camera bobbing and slight movement restrictions are some effects used to give you this feeling to make you feel a little more immersed into the game.

Before I played the demo, I was really excited about it because I love it when devs make an attempt to give you that feeling and Guerilla does it more than any other game I've played. The actual walk/sprint/jump movements feel fine, but the part that's been getting talked about alot is the zoom/look movement.

Now I personally love competitive FPS's, specically when they make the gunplay challenging in a fun and rewarding way. Some people like to call CoD4/5 competitive, but they're a bad joke compared to CoD1. I've often bring up CoD1 alot when it comes to topics like these. Both KZ2/CoD1's guns are abit of a challenge to master, but they do it in different ways:

CoD1:  The aim/look speed is just like CoD4/5 (fast and precise), but the difference is that the guns have tons more recoil. If you arn't using controlled bursts with automatics, you can expect half your shots to miss.

KZ2:  This game uses a mix of decent recoil with abit of a sluggish aim/look feel. The challenge here is trying to control that movement. I can completely understand the reason for this if you're wielding somethin like a machine gun, but for a pistol it makes no sense to feel so slow.

I've been reading a little more about it on the Playstation Boards and things are gettin a little stupid - the people there don't seem to know how to describe what they're feeling and now most of them are calling it "lag", or even blaming their TV's. Even Seb (Guerrilla's Q&A manager) started a thread about it and now seems to be fooled into thinking it really is lag or issues with some TV's: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=142208&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Now my personal opinion on this: Like I said before, I like a challenge. I love the fast/precise CoD'ish feels, but I hate it when guns are too damn easy to shoot because they're too accurate or lack recoil. But KZ2....I hate to say it but it feels wrong and awkward. Aiming feels tedious. Everytime I watch a KZ2 vid, I always wonder why no one uses the ironsights and now I realize what's going on. I could probably get used to it, but I can also imagine it bothering quite abit

So what's your take on this? Did they go too far with it? Does it feel right? Realistic? Too slow/sluggish? Should it be changed?

Again, just to clarfiy: I'm talking about aiming/looking/ironsights, not walking/sprinting/jumping.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Around the Network

I agree,COD4+ 5 guns were babied for the Casuals,Oh noes my bullets arnt hitting,TIME TO SPRAY AND PRAY!

I found the controls to loose and was never really able to control the aiming the way i wanted.

Yeah it's a little strange. Not too big of a deal imo. Just takes a bit of time to get used to.

I think that many people here just complain because they are not used to it, and can't get it just right after four or five attempts.

I only have a R2 experience underneath my belt, concerning FPS, and I absolutely love the way they have done it with KZ2. It feels slower, but it also feels a heck of a lot deadlier when a round does come through. The blood spatter also adds to that sensation of course.

All in all, I get more of a "have to make sure I hit" or "have to make sure I don't get seen while shooting"-vibe when playing the demo. That is actually a lot better than "aaargh, shoot shoot shoot, wobble the sticks and hope you hit it".

So for experienced fps players, it may feel a bit off, but that's just habit.

For new ones, it may feel a bit difficult, but the goal they were aiming for (realism), is pretty much achieved imho.

Around the Network

@ kylie: And people usually complain about how weak it is to have auto-aim... now that a game doesn't have it and it boils down to tactic and skill, it is a pain in the arse?

Garnett said:
I agree,COD4+ 5 guns were babied for the Casuals,Oh noes my bullets arnt hitting,TIME TO SPRAY AND PRAY!

This.

As much as I love CoD4 its aiming is waaaaayy too easy especially with snipers. I think Killzone 2 is just harder to aim and people who played CoD4/5 may not like that because it poses more of a challenge.

@ kylie: well, personally, I think that once you go into an aiming mode (in real life) you don't go all left and right. You do go very slowly, inching your way to the perfect shot. That's why I actually love the way it's done in KZ2.

Welcome to gaming!

Where you have to learn new gameplay mechanics for each game out there.

Thats like me complaining the crosshairs dont turn red in Uncharted when you are aiming at an enemy but a similar type of game, Gears of War 2, your crosshairs turn red when you are aiming at an enemy.

Well tough, gotta learn how to use Uncharted's gameplay mechanics.

It seems gamers these days are spoiled and do not know what they want. They say the game has a learning curve they dont like, and on the next game they say it controls too easy........

On a PC game called Red Orchestra,You spray and pray your DEAD,The guns have realistic recoil,realisitc everything,1 shot from a rifle your dead,2 shots from SMG/handgun your dead.

This is the type of guns we need in todays gaming,ArmA 2 is gonna be awesome!