By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Hyruken said:
DaveD said:

We are totally not in a recession...

There are lots of factors why the sales are down. The money situation in the world is a key one.

The sales are down consistently with what we have been seeing for ages. To try and justify them with 2 games not being out is just laughable.

I think SSBB had a huge effect on the sales though

There are a lot of people who wait for a release of one game to get a console and the game, and SSBB is one of them.

Example: I waited since 9:30 PM Mar 8 in the freezing cold while sick to get the game on launch night. I already had the console, but it shows how much people wanted the game. (Looking back on it it was a dumb idea to wait that long while sick XD)

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Hyruken said:
Soriku said:
Hyruken said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@hyruken

DMC4 & SSBB came out this week last year

puh-lease

don't even try to flame PSWii

So your saying that accounts for a 75% Wii and almost 60% PS3 drop? Sorry but that is just stupid, the thing that makes it seem even worse is that the drop did not effect the other console that had DMC4. The 360 game was 7th in the charts that week and it didnt drop.....

The drop is persistent with every other weeks numbers. I guess no games for all those weeks where to blame to right?

The PS3 sales as well as the Wii's has been down every week this year by around the same margin regardless of games.

But nice try at running damage control :)

You do realize those games are really big? SSBB even moreso. The fact that nothing significant came out WOULD make them drop that much. You clearly underestimate how much impact big games have.

Damage control? Ha, before you start calling that, maybe you should use more sense.

Use a bit more sense?!

So let me get this straight right. For the past 5 weeks the sales year over year for pretty much all formats have been down and down a lot. In fact combined they are down over half a million on the same period last year. That drop is accountable to the fact there is no DMC4 or SSMBB this year? So the trend that has continued for months with vast % drops does not count this week because there were no SSMB or DMC4? What about all the other weeks then?

Sorry mate but that makes you sound slightly retarded or something. trends don't just stop because of a few games, especially not 60% or 75% drops. Think it is you that needs to use a bit more sense.

Aren't we talking specifically about this week, and not the entire year?

The drops can be accounted for the economic problems, and the fact that handhelds are getting even more bigger. The only reason the 360 is (slightly) up is because it's previous releases and SO4 coming out soon.

If DMC4 and SSBB released this year instead, there would either be no drops or very little drops.

Yes we are talking about the % for this week. The same %'s that we have been seeing for weeks if not now months.

Again with the 360 comment that just shows you haven't a clue what your talking about....The 360 has been tracking above its numbers simply because before it sold so few that it was always easier to increase those numbers. The 360 has been selling much better month after month since it outsold the Wii and PS3 for a week last year. It has nothing to do with SO4. The week that the game comes out and if there is a boost away from the 6-8k average it is in then that will be accountable to it. Right now it is running at its average, simply because previous years numbers were low.

Barozi said:
Yay only 49,99% marketshare for the Wii

LOL

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Soriku said:

Yeah...and guess why the 360 outsold them for a week. Games. Not for some random reason.

You're acting like games don't matter or something.

No games matter a lot. But a few games do not cause a % increase or decrease to the levels we are seeing.

With the Wii i would say at the maximum 35% of the 75% drop could be down to fewer games. But what about the other 40%? As i keep mentioning which you ignore it is a sales trend that has been going on for sometime. All formats except the 360 are decreasing in growth and decreasing by a lot.

The PS3 drop i would say maybe 10% of the near 60% is due to lack of games but there have been a few games released for it recently which have sold over 100k in a week but yet its hardware sales are decreasing still. So what about the other near 50% drop?

Games are important in driving sales but if people don't have the money to spend or are being more careful with their money then they won't be spending the amount on consoles will they. And in Japan that is what we are seeing. When Resident Evil 5 comes out and StreetFighter 4 you would expect sales to not be as bad as they are now, those games are very high profile and will give us a better indication of where Japan is at right now in terms of its games industry. But more importantly will show us where the people are at with this generation and if they want to buy into it.

Soriku said:
What sales trend are you talking about? I just listed problems which affect trends...but to me it sounds like you're talking about some specific trend that occurred somehow. Explain.

I said the sales were down year over year. I pointed out that it has gone on for sometime. In just 5 weeks the formats combined have dropped over 530k units hardware wise. The % drops week to week over year to year have a pattern of between 40% to 75% drops for PSP,PS3,PS2 and the Wii. It was pointed out that the drops were to do with the non-release this week of games such as SSMB and DMC4. You attributed the drop to that. I didn't. I said you were stupid if you think that the formats are dropping simply because of 2 games, then pointed out the sales trend. Which again is that japan's growth is down over 50% on the same period last year. It is not something that has happened over night, it has been going on for months. That is the sales trend of Japan, has nthing to do with games and has everything to do with money. People right now do not want to spend their money on expensive things such as a console. 

Around the Network

Clearly, Nintendo has to do something with Wii. I like that this kind of things happen, Nintendo has not being doing nothing big in the last months (year) because Smash Bros and Wiifit were finished a year ago and MarioKart was retarded only a little more. But really, Capitan Falcon, Wario Land, Disaster, WiiMusic, Animal Crossing.....those are not amazing games. Now Nintendo would have to react and not be so lazy because his system sells units even without good games....

damn...japan is just depressing :\

Go PS3

4 ≈ One