By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek has bought Free Radical Design!

Free Radical's Rob Yescombe just confirmed to 1UP that the recently troubled developer has been bought for an undisclosed sum by Germany-based Crytek (best known for the games Far Cry and Crysis). This ends weeks of uncertainty about the future of the company, which many had guessed might be forced to shut its doors.

Speaking from his local pub, Yescombe told us, "After seven long weeks of uncertainty, I can confirm that Free Radical is now out of the woods. We've been bought by a really, really good company." He added, in what was possibly a first for the outspoken writer, "I'm so excited I'm lost for words." Then he found some and continued: "It's the smoothest deal we've ever done. It all went through quickly, efficiently, fantastically..."

Yescombe said that he was unsure what the deal would mean for those made redundant on New Year's Eve, but that he hoped the company could ramp back up to its former size. Asked about what the team will be working on -- and specifically if this means we will one day see TimeSplitters 4 -- he said, "We don't know yet. We'll find out over the coming weeks."

We've contacted Crytek for more details, and to confirm from their side.

Excellent news. Timesplitters 2 is probably my favourite shooter of all time. Seems this could be the way Crytek wants to get into console gaming and Timesplitters 4 with Crysis graphics would be... fucking awesome!

This could also be a way of porting Crysis to the PS3 with Free Radical's previous experience with the platform. Who knows?

Around the Network

Time Splitters 4 confirmed?

I have a feeiling that they will be the ones to make the console Crysis.

A match made in heaven

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Neat... and odd choice... but it works.

Wonder if they'll stay on consoles... and if so which.

Wonder if that means Battlefront 3 is back on.

Around the Network

Very nice. I'm glad those who are left were able to find a good home.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

WHAT! this is a shock

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Kasz216 said:

Do  you mean Star Wars Battlefront 3?

indodude said:
Kasz216 said:

Do  you mean Star Wars Battlefront 3?

Yes.

WOW, That's great news, I'm very happy for them, that's awesome, I wish them the best!!!

FOREVER IN DARKNESS!!!

Why is SkyNet wearing a PS3 Logo???