By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I originally hated the idea of RE5...and now that I've played the demo...

First off let me say that I'm a longtime RE fan and I absolutely love the original series, and I dislike that they've radically changed the games nowadays.

Now, I can officially say "wtf" to this whole thing. The game? No, everone's impressions I've been reading over it. I've seen almost everyone complain about the controls, and to be honest I don't see where the complaints are coming from. It's not the Wii remote, so I don't see what people were expecting..

It controls exactly like RE4 did, and while I did have to take quite a few minutes to get used to the control style, I had a lot of fun with it. Sure it would be easier to point with the Wii remote, but this isn't a Wii game. That's almost as crazy as complaining that Gears of War or Halo don't control well because they don't use the Wii remote. It's nothing wrong with the game, you've merely picked the wrong console to own...

Anyways, I hated this game going into the demo, and the only reason why I downloaded it was because my friend really wanted to play it with me. After playing it, I found that it was actually pretty fun, we were extremely limited on ammo the whole time. If the demo is anything like the final product, the game is not scary at all, not one ounce, but that's not the main focus of the game. I feel that it's more of a tactical team zombie shooter. I actually don't think I'd have much fun at all playing this game by myself, but with a friend it became a lot more fun for me.

Here's my opinion, if you're buying this because you want an RE experience, don't. If you're buying this to be spooked out, don't. If you don't have a friend you want to play it with, don't buy it. Buy it if you like the idea of a tactical zombie shooter, with a bit of strategy in it. Buy it if you have friends who would want to play through it with you.

This is all based on the demo, and I'm sure there are at least some scary parts in the game, I just wouldn't recommend someone to buy the game if they were looking for a full on scary experience like the original RE games, because the overall feel of this game is very different.

I haven't bought a 360 game in a while, and I haven't played it in over a month before today. Before today I had no intentions of buying this game, but I had so much fun playing that small demo with my friend that I'm seriously considering buying it now, and I most likely will.  I've accepted the game for what it is, I've moved on, and now I'm interested in this new game. It definitely isn't the old RE style, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun in it's own way.

Believe me, I'm extremely surprised to find myself writing this. If you look through my post history, I've had nothing but contempt with this game before now.

EDIT: I didn't notice there was an official RE impressions thread until just now... I suppose the moderators can do as they see fit. :P

Around the Network

Yeah. I played Silent Hill Origins and almost shit my pants when the first monster came out of the storm drain

It's spooky how similar your experience was with mine. No doubt, RE5 + friend = awesome.

CIHYFS?

Is it as good as Left 4 Dead?

Stupid question.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Again: it doesn't control like RE4, since Chris is 20x slower than Leon (in aiming, turning and moving). Really, I've played the two games back-to-back yesterday (GC controller).

Other than that I don't have a lot of complaints about it. I like the tension and panic in the demo and Type A controls fixes the knife controls.
It's well known I love REmake a lot more, but I'll definitely still looking forward to the full game.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:

Again: it doesn't control like RE4, since Chris is 20x slower than Leon (in aiming, turning and moving). Really, I've played the two games back-to-back yesterday (GC controller).

Other than that I don't have a lot of complaints about it. I like the tension and panic in the demo and Type A controls fixes the knife controls.
It's well known I love REmake a lot more, but I'll definitely still looking forward to the full game.

But!!!!! Chris is like what 6-3 and Buff as hell,so that explains why he slower,and if you still dislike it turn up the sensativy :)

Garnett said:
BengaBenga said:

But!!!!! Chris is like what 6-3 and Buff as hell,so that explains why he slower,and if you still dislike it turn up the sensativy :)

You seriously think I don't play on "fastest"?

Chris' 5 years in the gym might work on the ladies, but it sure as hell ruins the controls. 

BengaBenga said:
Garnett said:
BengaBenga said:

You seriously think I didn't play on "fastest"?

Yes?

Garnett said:
BengaBenga said:
Garnett said:
BengaBenga said:

Yes?

I even mentioned the sensitivity in my preview.

Shooting is done in the default setting like most Xbox360 shooters. Left Trigger for pulling the gun, Right Stick for aiming and Right Trigger to shoot. The aiming speed can be adjusted, but even on “Fastest” it’s still a bit slow. Overall this control system works well, at least if you liked the fourth game in the series. 

BengaBenga said:
Garnett said:
BengaBenga said:
Garnett said:
BengaBenga said:

Yes?

I even mentioned the sensitivity in my preview.

Shooting is done in the default setting like most Xbox360 shooters. Left Trigger for pulling the gun, Right Stick for aiming and Right Trigger to shoot. The aiming speed can be adjusted, but even on “Fastest” it’s still a bit slow. Overall this control system works well, at least if you liked the fourth game in the series.

Oh,you must excuse my FAIL :(