By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: The recession will hit the Wii first.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/blaming-the-crunch-article

"With an enormous audience of market newcomers for whom gaming is arguably not yet established as a key form of entertainment, Nintendo's Wii is the canary in the coalmine - the first whiff of economical toxicity will hit the Wii market before it goes anywhere near the more established "hardcore" end of the games sector. The Wii, however, is still singing its heart out. If this recession is going to stunt Nintendo's growth spurt (and that does remain a distinct possibility), it certainly hasn't done so yet."

Gaming journalists...so typical.

360 Tag - narfwack

Around the Network

If the recession is going to hit games sales, it'll hit the Wii most. The reasoning seemed right.

The question is more will it hit games sales. Some people say it could boost sales as people will choose to stay in and save money.

But yeah, seemed reasonable.

but wiis cheap?

it should hit the most expensive console (we all know who that is)

Actually this is not from Eurogamer, it's from Gamesindustry.biz.

Notice the header:

Published as part of our sister-site GamesIndustry.biz' widely-read weekly newsletter, the GamesIndustry.biz Editorial is a weekly dissection of one of the issues weighing on the minds of the people at the top of the games business. It appears on Eurogamer after it goes out to GI.biz newsletter subscribers.

I will read it soon.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The recession will adversely impact upon the whole market. Game sales will dry up as people save their money. Wii, X360 and PS3 games and console sales will all slow down.
More game developers will go bankrupt, there will be more game delays and more game cancellations.

Around the Network

NO, Wii is the cheapest one and the most popular at the same time, if someone wants a console Wii has more chances to sell

Ps3 is the most affected and is shown year after year, with Xbox360 selling much more

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

The reasoning behind this is simple-Wii appeals more to 'casuals', who by definition, will not spend as much time or money involved in gaming when compared to the core, who so far, have been the main market of the HD console.(that's the article's reasoning, not my own reasoning, but I do closely agree with it)

Nintendo will announce big core titles to combat this, thusly driving profit, software sales and maintaing high hardware sales. That's what I think, anyhoo.

I finished reading it, and I recommend you read it too.

Most of the article is not about the Wii, it's rather talking about the impact of the credit crunch on the gaming business, which may cause some projects to be cancelled and publishers to be much more cautious in what projects they finance. It also says the credit crunch will often be used as an excuse to cover the fact that some cost cuts were needed anyway.

The part regarding the Wii is not justified, he just claims that the hardcore sector will be affected later. This makes some sense (which doesn't mean it's true), but note that it doesn't mean Wii's sales will actually suffer significantly. It just means they could stop growing year-on-year, in which case they'll still be selling a lot. And of course, Nintendo always has the option of cutting the price to stimulate demand.

The recession already hit the PS3 first...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

The recession already hit the PS3 first...

Are we sure about that? The fact that 360's price cut happened at the same time makes it hard to tell.