By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which are the worst/most disappointing games you've played, and why?

yacjuman said:
kids who havent actually played FF7, and are just looking at screen shots from back when it was released please dont post.

when FF7 was realeased how many games had you played with that caliber of FMV, and polygonal graphics ???

NONE thats how many !!

oh, and its great too. :P

Obviously, you weren't refering to MY post, where I stated that, yes, FFVII had the advantage of graphics and CG sequences.  But, that's ALL it had.  The story, setting, characters, and gameplay SUCKED.  That's why the game was such a huge letdown.  [And I forgot to mention in my original post that the music, with maybe the exception of "One Winged Angel" and the general "big boss battle music" sucked as well, at least in comparison to FFVI.  Now, THAT was a glorious soundtrack, and the FFIV soundtrack had its moments too.]

Around the Network
D-FENS said:
yacjuman said:
kids who havent actually played FF7, and are just looking at screen shots from back when it was released please dont post.

when FF7 was realeased how many games had you played with that caliber of FMV, and polygonal graphics ???

NONE thats how many !!

oh, and its great too. :P

Obviously, you weren't refering to MY post, where I stated that, yes, FFVII had the advantage of graphics and CG sequences.  But, that's ALL it had.  The story, setting, characters, and gameplay SUCKED.  That's why the game was such a huge letdown.  [And I forgot to mention in my original post that the music, with maybe the exception of "One Winged Angel" and the general "big boss battle music" sucked as well, at least in comparison to FFVI.  Now, THAT was a glorious soundtrack, and the FFIV soundtrack had its moments too.]

.....You really think people say ff7 is the best cause of graphics and CB sequences? comon think about it.

The gameplay in 7 was fantastic, the story has some flaws but i was very impressed, characters there could of been improvements but you cant get much better then what they did, and the setting was the only one i would even partially agree with you, and its only because some people did not like the futuristic style of 7

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Now, I could talk about Final Fantasy until I'm blue in the face, but I've already summed that up, and I've discussed it in other threads.  So to respond to the OP:

Unreal Tournament 2004.

Yeah, I said it.

I bought this game when it came out for the PC.  I was a huge fan of Unreal Tournament, and I had been holding out on buying UT2003 since I knew more was around the corner.  2004 promised lots of greatness.  Assault was being brought back.  A new gameplay mode, Onslaught, would be introduced, where teams try to destroy each other's bases by controlling power nodes.  Vehicles were introduced.  It sounded like Epic was taking some great gameplay concepts from Team Fortress Classic, and infusing them with the vehicle coolness from games like Battlefield 1942.

Unfortunately, it sucked!  Graphically, the game was an incremental improvement only over the original Unreal Tournament.  More polygons and higher-resolution textures does not necessarily equal much better graphics, as I think this game illustrates very well.  More disappointingly, even with graphics options toned down, performance was rather poor on decent graphics hardware at the time.  But of course, gameplay over graphics, right?

Well, the gameplay left a bad taste in my mouth as well.  They may have tried to combine the best concepts from TFC and BF1942, but the implementation was rather poor.  The whole, in short, was less than the sum of its parts.  Epic seems to be full of good ideas that just don't work out that well when you actually try them.  This game was more frustrating to play on so many different levels than anything I had played before.  You can't just put together a bunch of awesome concepts and call it a finished product, you have to test it, tweak it, refine it, polish it, until it's fun to play.  Valve understands this, and it shows in every product they make.  Epic forgot the fun on this one.

World of Warcraft. I don't see why people like that repetitive grinding piece of trash.

This is an interesting topic...I'm sure we all have a ton of games that have disappointed us through the years.

I recently picked up FFX (to continue the FF discussion) and have been immensely disappointed with this game so far...so linear, such annoying characters, and WAY too easy (I'm about 5 hours in). I went back and read some of the reviews for this game and didn't see anyone mentioning how maddeningly annoying the voices and characters are...am I the only one who feels this way?!?

Everything Rare has put out post-N64 has been HUGELY disappointing to me, and probably most former N64 owners. Even when they took risks back then, they always impressed me with their creativity and talent...look at a game like Blast Corps which was completely original and extremely satisfying (if this one hits the virtual console, everyone should give it a try if you haven't already)...but man was Perfect Dark Zero a disappointment...and Grabbed By The Ghoulies? Give me a break Rare...

Twilight Princess was quite a disappointment to me, as was Wind Waker before it....TP I found to be way too easy and WAY too reminiscent of OoT (which I still believe is one of the greatest of games). Neither was as disappointing as Mario Sunshine...Mario 64 was one of my favorites, and Sunshine felt like they took Mario 64 and removed its soul and all of its terrific variety. Finally...Metroid Prime 2: Echoes....extremely tedious and annoying compared to the brilliant Prime 1.

Around the Network
Cadence said:
World of Warcraft. I don't see why people like that repetitive grinding piece of trash.

I agree. When some friends invited me to play WoW, I was like "ok... so we have killed like what? 50 random monsters? Can we do something else?" and then we got to another town... bloody hell, why it has to be THAT far away?

Devil May Cry 2 was a huge disappointment to me. i lacked so many things. but what pissed me off most was the story was confusing and unlike the first, and the gameplay was stale. Capcom fixed it for the third installment though.

Cant wait till Assassins Creed!

Oops, ignore this.

EnchantedArms:It sucks big time story,gameplay everything sucks do not buy this game.

ElderScrollsIV:Oblivion:I was expecting something like Fable and it just so wasnt, killing rats for an hour is BORING the story is slow and there needs to be alot more enemies around because there is no where to properly just train where you just go mad and kill everything.

ALL Bond games after Goldeneye:Nuf said.

FinalFantasyX-2:This was a pointless adding to the story of FFX just to get more money the lack of interesting characters,the dress sphere what the hell go with jobs if your gonna do something like that,the repetitive thing of going for sphere after sphere after sphere, apart from that the story was ok.

I am amazed at all the dissappointment going to FFVII the so called "Best FF" is getting hammered.I dont think it was the best but it was good apart from the music that was atroshish.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I actually liked the music from FFVII, don't know what you all are going on about.