By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii May See a Price Cut In April.

wait, i thought the more of something that you make, the less they cost each.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Around the Network
numonex said:
bRoKeN said:
they make $6 per wii and its selling really good so theres no point

Back in 2007 that would be the case. Two years on and Nintendo would be making a lot more money than a mere $6 per Wii console sold.

They were making more for a while but the Yen exchange rate killed it and it's back down to ~$6 per unit when averaged across all markets.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

iFlower7 said:
NJ5 said:

"A price cut could be a smart move, seeing as how Nintendo has just forecast it’s first annual profit drop in five year. "

WTF?

"Our profits are too low, let's make less money!"

When are people going to understand that Nintendo's profit dropped mostly because of the strong yen?

According to Iwata it was ONLY due to the strong yen. :P

I said "mostly" because they also slightly decreased Wii SW/HW shipment forecasts. However this may have been due to production difficulties rather than demand (which could explain NPD's weirdness of December < November).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

If it were to happen, it would start with Japan (where the Wii is already cheapest anyway), and then proceed across to Europe, and finally land in North America, since they still can't quite get the shortages out of the way here

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

@vonboy: Theoretically yes, but ramping up production increases costs until they've been offset by the number of sold units. This is especially apparent with the consoles that all are manufactured by 3rd party manufacturers and even if they were internally manufactured, the components would still be manufactured by others.
For example, if you invest one million into the production ramp, you need to offset the cost in the price of the product, until the investment is paid, after which the cost goes down.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
vonboy said:
i actually think that the recession/depression/whatever-you-wanna-call-it is helping nintendo while it is hurting the hd consoles.

What are you talking about?

Xb360 is cheaper than wii. everybody is affected for the economy. what helped nintendo was its inovation.

not a fan but a gamer

@jhonip: If Nintendo can break barriers between gamers and non-gamers, the increased amount of free time helps Nintendo to increase Wii sales.
360 doesn't really expand beyond the current audience and if its sold to people who spend a lot of money to gaming already, the people may need to cut their gaming expenses.

The thing is, that the downturn always hits first the segment that spend the most money into the market (it's a different matter whether 360 has hit the kind of market, but judging by the kind of games that sell on 360, it appears so). Also notice that we are talking about software as well as hardware.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Just by looking over Nintendo's quarter report, one can understand what's going on. How could this guy just get it so wrong?

Kenology said:
Just by looking over Nintendo's quarter report, one can understand what's going on. How could this guy just get it so wrong?

You can't spell analyst without anal.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I hope so, a lot of friends of mine would buy one if it was cheaper.